Gallery

Napoleonic Italians

Posted by Bill Slavin on 17 Feb 2018, 22:11

My last month or two has been engaged in painting up these Napoleonic era Italians for use in a Battle of Valls scenario I've been researching. As a French client state the uniforms of this period were essentially the same as the French, so I was able to use French figures I already had kicking around. The light infantry are Zvezda, the line infantry Hat.

These two units are the Italian 1st Light Infantry and 4th Line Infantry, both of whom fought in Pino's Division under St. Cyr in Spain. More information on alterations and painting references can be found here on my blog: https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.ca/2018/02/italian-light-and-line-infantry.html

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Kekso on 21 Feb 2018, 14:39

Nicely painted figures in vibrant colors. I like it a lot.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 21 Feb 2018, 16:02

As far as I remember from my uniformbooks the Italians were a quite colourful bunch, and these look very good!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Graeme on 21 Feb 2018, 16:49

Very nicely painted figures. The light infantry are a colourful bunch and the mix of poses on the stands gives them a really animated look. The scenery in the background is very impressive.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Bramble15 on 21 Feb 2018, 16:56

Wonderful painting on one of my personal favorites from HaT! The really look the part when placed on the landscaped table you have! Well done.
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Feb 2018, 17:52

Well done on painting all those Italian infantry,they look super cool calm and highly collective. :mrgreen: Meaning the more one paints the more one needs.
I like the tall build up of the grasses very much. A thing I am trying to do myself. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Feb 2018, 05:51

Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm glad you liked them. They were a lot of fun to paint - I'm really enjoying exploring new ways of tackling the white on white.
They've already fought it out on the table I photographed them on - the battle at Valls, February 1805.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Feb 2018, 06:45

Hi Bill.

Your troops and pictures just get better. Fantastic work and the landscape looks brilliant.

On the closeup shots what are you using as grass please? It looks very effective.

I have used horse hair and Woodland scenics realistic grass and am pleased with both.

However good ideas are always good ideas!

Best wishes,

Chris

Best wi
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Feb 2018, 15:35

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind words.
The grass is a mat of brown "grizzly fur", sprayed with green paint. The grizzly fur is a type of teddy bear fur, sold here in NA in certain craft shops in the States and brought back home to me by a friend. It's used a fair bit by wargamers, and probably baffles the craft store as to why it's such a hot seller!

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Marvin on 25 Feb 2018, 11:13

Great stuff as usual, Bill. I love to see these less common uniforms such as these given the care and attention that you provide. I also echo the comments of others about the landscape!
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 25 Feb 2018, 15:58

Thanks, Marvin. The landscape was the gaming table for the battle of Valls. Here it is occupied...

Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by davbenbak on 02 Mar 2018, 15:09

Great job Bill! I'm extremely jealous that you some of the Zvezda Volts. A hard set to get your hands on. I'm also working through the Hat French boxes of both line and lights. Too bad they haven't released the command box for the line since the current box does not include a flag bearer. I converted the office by replacing his sword with a flag pole. What figure did you use for your conversion?
davbenbak  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 04 Mar 2018, 15:33

Great job Bill! I'm extremely jealous that you some of the Zvezda Volts. A hard set to get your hands on. I'm also working through the Hat French boxes of both line and lights. Too bad they haven't released the command box for the line since the current box does not include a flag bearer. I converted the office by replacing his sword with a flag pole. What figure did you use for your conversion?

Usually I've been using the flag bearer from the HaT light infantry set, often with a head swap just to put him more in scale with the line. But in the case of theses Italian line, running low on the other, I used one of the guard figures from the HaT light infantry command. A bit more conversion as I had to carve off the gear, make the belt for the flag, etc. but the pose felt right.
I hd no idea the Zvezda voltigeurs were rare! I picked them up cheap as a resale at a Toronto hobby store. They were a bit brittle - maybe showing their age?
Bill Slavin  Canada

Return to Gallery