Gallery

Papelotte

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 02 Dec 2017, 11:11

Dear Forum Members,

For some reason I couldn't log in under General Picton so I've bust myself to Captain Siborne - any way, apologies for not having posted for a while. Here's my Papelotte Farmhouse from Waterloo. Papelotte is a hard subject to research (not helped by the autocorrect constantly changing it to 'appellate'. The farm is often shown with its Victorian Belvedere, which is incorrect as no such tower existed in 1815. There is also uncertainty about the course of the battle - General Durutte claimed to have captured the farm, but in fact he only took the kitchen garden. The battle also ranged over a much wider area, including La Haye farm (not to be confused with the more famous La Haie Sainte), Smohain, and the chateau of Frischermont. This stretched Durutte's division so it's not surprising that the battle eventually degenerated into a stalemate until the end of the day when the Prussians arrived. 3rd/2nd Nassauers held the farm - to their east was 28th Orange-Nassau regiment and to their west was the 2nd/2nd Nassauers (the 1st/2nd being detached to Hougoumont. To their rear was Byveldt's Dutch Horse battery and Vivian and Vandeleur's Light Cavalry Brigades.

Overview:

And many more pictures on my blog at: http://generalpicton.blogspot.co.uk

Hope you like them!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Bramble15 on 02 Dec 2017, 14:09

Personally I could care less what name you log in under as long as we get more stuff like this. Brilliant work and lots of it!
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Graeme on 02 Dec 2017, 14:19

I love this. :love: Fantastic model, fantastic looking figures and lots and lots of action. Nice photography too, I love the aerial shots into the courtyard and the shots looking down the alleys.

Waterloo may be the most represented battle in the hobby but the flank around papelotte/ La haye must be the most neglected part of it, Since this was where the link with the Prussians had to be made I think the Nassauers defence of this flank was very important. It's good to see it so well represented. :-D
Graeme  Australia

Posted by C M Dodson on 02 Dec 2017, 16:41

Hello Mr P. It's nice to hear from you and I am sorry to hear of your demotion! I hope that you were not too naughty.

I saw this on your blog last week and it is bursting with ideas that I intend to pinch if you do not mind.

Still do not like the gloss though.

Sorry.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 02 Dec 2017, 17:13

Hi Chris, many thanks, yes still a few with gloss - I painted them a few years ago, but nothing a can of spray matt varnish can't correct. I've been experimenting like mad with this, including using dry spaghetti painted black for the drain pipes!

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Dec 2017, 18:05

Congratulations on presenting your Napoleonic Diorama. A Splendid Achievement,when one considers the time ,and dedication involved in scratch building and basing along with that of painting lots of figures that are needed for such an enterprize too. It all looks splendid,and i like the toy soldier style of painting when shown on mass. Shinny or not,i like them all. Bravo! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 02 Dec 2017, 18:10

Hello Captain S.

I used bent copper wire for drainpipes which work well.

However, my research for Quatre Bras suggests that drainpipes were not in universal use at this time. Cast iron was expensive and most buildings had overhangs to deflect the water.

I asked advice from Inspector Crynns of the yard ( he never misses a trick) especially as he lives near that part of the world.

He states that, as suspected from contemporary pictures, drainpipes were few and far between.

I have unfortunately started removing them from barns etc.

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 03 Dec 2017, 21:50

The good thing about spaghetti is that a) I merely have to steal it from the wife and b) it's easily removed. Next stop, La Belle Alliance!

Posted by The Talking Horse on 04 Dec 2017, 17:16

What a wonderful piece of madness, Where do you store it and when and where will it be displayed for us to drool over, will try not to make the spaghetti damp.
The Talking Horse  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 05 Dec 2017, 03:13

Thank you Talking Horse, sadly at the moment I don't have anywhere big enough but when I win the lottery I plan to buy an aircraft hanger, as outdoor display may damage the spaghetti.

Return to Gallery