Gallery

Nap. Wimpfen's Austrian Brigade.

Posted by gbvarese on 01 Sep 2017, 22:01

Dear all,
I'm sorry for not posting new contributions in the last months, unfotunately I have had seriuos family problem. I have first of all to thank Peter forsending me three Landwehr figures which enabled me to complete the related battalion. As I've said on other occasions, I'm the process of building my Shwarzenberg army corps for the 1813's campaign. I've used Italeri's Austrians since those of Hat do not satisfy me fore the reasons that I've illustrated with other posts. As matter of fact they do not wear the corretc headgear (leather helmets instead of shakos) but it seems that at that date, many German battalions still wore helmets. The one illustrated is Gen. Wimpfen's brigade which comprise three battalions plus a Landwehr one. The commanding group consits of two mounted officers i.e. a General and his aide-de- camp. This has been obtained from Italeri's mounted officer, duly modified with Milliput.
As usual I would very much appreciate your commnets.
Regards. Giovanni.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by FredG on 02 Sep 2017, 10:33

My references confirm that the raupenhelm was still worn as campaign dress by some battalions up to 1812. I cannot confirm a later date though.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Wiking on 02 Sep 2017, 11:26

Painting: Fantastic, all these small details!
:yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Graeme on 02 Sep 2017, 12:17

good looking figures. Nice work shading those white uniforms and the Landwehr look like they've been on a long march.

That dun horse is excellent.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Kekso on 03 Sep 2017, 18:33

Nice painting, bright, colorful pictures. I like it a lot.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 08 Sep 2017, 09:26

Excellent painted figures! You're building up a very nice army! :thumbup:

PS: pleased I could help you with the figures! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by davbenbak on 09 Sep 2017, 17:16

excellent use of the various poses to form your units.
davbenbak  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 21 Oct 2017, 09:00

My favourite is the ADC. Very good job. But I never heared that the Raupenhelm was used in 1813. But I am no expert, of course.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by gbvarese on 21 Oct 2017, 10:11

Dear Mabo,
You are right, I've used Italeri's Austrians since those of Hat do not satisfy me for the reasons that I've already illustrated with other posts. It seems, in any case, that the leather helmets (instead of shakos) were worn at least until 1812 (as also FedG confirms in his post of 2 september) by a few German battalions. Now I have to prepare a brigade of 6 Hungarian battalions (144 men) and they must wear shakos. It seems that the only alternative it's the white metal soldiers of Art Miniaturen which, unfortunately, cost a lot. In this sense I would be grateful to have comments on this brand, from those forumers who have already adopted them. Giovanni.
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by MABO on 21 Oct 2017, 13:17

Art Miniatures are a good choise. Jörg Schmäling made all the figures for the famous Cröbern Diorama of Wolfgang Meyer. The are not as clean as Valdemar, Germania or Fredericus Rex figures, but they are ok and the poses are really lifelike. Since the days of Cröbern I knew, that his Austrians in particular are really nice.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by davbenbak on 21 Oct 2017, 14:45

Yes, great job. I like how you have used the same pose for each battalion. I plan on using the running figures for the second battalion as well. I've got these sets on my painting list as well (after I finish the Bavarians and Wurttembergers) , both the Italeri and the Esci (so I've got a converged Grenadier battalion too). I was trying to figure out which pose you would use for the flag bearer.
davbenbak  United States of America

Posted by gbvarese on 21 Oct 2017, 16:47

Dear davbenbak,

As you can see from the attached images, I obtained one of the flag bearer by modifying the unpainted soldier of Italeri (Fig. 2) . The first picture is the one that I prepared for the Forum Great Miniature Figures Parade. For another battalion, I've instead used the officer supplied by Strelets (set 011).
Since Mabo appreciates the command group, I attach another one, including a Chief of Staff Officer.

Regards Giovanni.

ImageImageImageImageImage
gbvarese  Italy

Return to Gallery