Gallery

Dutch-Belgian Militia Battalion at Waterloo

Posted by thomaspicton on 05 Aug 2017, 18:18

Dear Forum members,

At long last, I've completed my latest project, a Dutch-Belgian militia battalion in square. It's taken me a while and there are about 400 of them. The figures are mostly Hat, with some Emhar, Hinton Hunt and Hagen. I've also photographed them with my other squares - I've done 13 so far, which is about 5,600 figures. You can see more on my blog at http://generalpicton.blogspot.co.uk

Hope you like them!

thomaspicton  United Kingdom

Posted by sansovino on 06 Aug 2017, 09:49

Great, great and still more great project and square! What a gigantic army, General Picton!
I would like to see still more of it, fotos of the other squares. Please give us more ....
The red regiment is from Luneburg, I presume...
sansovino  Germany

Posted by thomaspicton on 06 Aug 2017, 11:56

Thanks Sansovino, glad you like them. My problem is that I don't have enough space to keep them all out, so photographing them is hard, but I would like to photograph the squares with the cavalry at some point.

There are 13 squares in total so far, two of which are double battalion squares: the first double square is the Bremen battalion, along with some sharpshooters in green. The second is the 51st LI. The single battalion squares are: Dutch militia, Cameron Highlanders, Highland Light Infantry, Coldstream Guards, Scots Guards, Glosters, Inniskillings, Rifle Brigade, two Nassau battalions and the Royal Welch Fusiliers. You can see lots more photos on my blog.

I'm working on a KGL square at the moment, with plans to reach 32 Allied squares eventually.

Posted by Kekso on 07 Aug 2017, 08:23

Impressive. How long did it took to paint 400 figures?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Aug 2017, 09:53

Totally impressive! At the moment I'm happy if I can finish one figure! :-D
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 07 Aug 2017, 15:49

Hello Mr. P. Nice to hear and see from you again.

Prodigious output as always.

I am currently painting up the 2nd Netherland Division for Quatre Bras. There seems to be some doubt wether the Belgian National and Militia battalions carried flags at this time. Cent Jours shows no flags and also no Grenadier company for Militia units.

Have you any information on this perhaps?

Your work output is tremendous and the visual impact of this project, upon completion will be overwhelming.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by thomaspicton on 07 Aug 2017, 19:06

Dear Chris, I am so glad that you are working on Quatre Bras which is certainly something to look forward to. I took my Militia flag from Men at Arms series Flags of the Napoleonic Wars (3) where on Plate D it shows the flag that I have painted as "Netherlands Militia Unit 1815". Sadly, I don't have the book in soft copy. The problem is that the book doesn't state its sources so judging how reliable this is I can't say. I've also had a look on line for you and http://www.warflag.com/napflags/flaghtml/holland.htm states that "officially there were no banners handed out prior to Waterloo (later in 1815 this happened), but from various original accounts and two preserved banners from Jager battalions there is indeed enough proof that selfmade ones were carried in the field in 1815. That would have made sense, as the banner is a focal point for all the troops and important as well in the drill regulations." So the evidence is circumstantial at best.

Posted by thomaspicton on 07 Aug 2017, 19:12

Dear Kekso, it usually takes me about a month to complete a unit of 400. My system needs speed: I base spray in the coat colour; paint in the trousers; black hat, knapsack, cartridge pouch, and shoes; flesh; facing colour; brown musket, hair; white cross belts and piping; silver and gold; some extra detail for key figures; gloss varnish for protection and finish with a matt varnish. Nothing fancy.

Posted by deon on 08 Aug 2017, 00:52

I would say these figures are very fancy indeed . I particularly like the smiling officer in the 4th photo - I wonder what he is so happy about. :) An excellent project.
deon  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Aug 2017, 01:15

This is the kind of Epic Painting i like.
The happy toy soldier style of massed formations.
A true labor of love, along with countless nights of painting.
I admire it all. Well Done. Yes Indeed. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Graeme on 08 Aug 2017, 04:07

A magnificent addition to a truly monumental project. Your squares are every bit as impressive as those aerial shots in the film.

What's the officer smiling about? A square perfectly formed before the cuirassiers arrive. :-)
Graeme  Australia

Posted by thomaspicton on 08 Aug 2017, 06:29

Many thanks everyone, the officer's smile is probably a lucky brush stroke as my eyes find it harder these days to paint on emotion! Anyway, assuming he is happy, it may be because he's really a Prussian Fine Scale Factory figures transferred to the Dutch service with his friend the neighbouring Strelets figures shouting orders.

Return to Gallery