Gallery

Come In Spinner

Posted by Graeme on 04 Aug 2017, 03:45

Somewhere behind the lines (and out of view of the officers ;-) ).

My painting's nothing special but I thought I might post pictures when I've done something a bit different with the figures.

Graeme  Australia

Posted by Wiking on 04 Aug 2017, 04:31

Party people ?
At a war gaming base for real it is very different.
Poses are selected and arranged well for the scene!
:yeah: :-D

All take paper money in her hand.
For what they bet?
But what is the standing man doing in his right hand?
Did he throw some coins in the air?
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Rosbif on 04 Aug 2017, 06:31

Lovely evocative piece, Graeme. Very Australian! :yeah:

Wiking said:
All take paper money in her hand.
For what they bet?
But what is the standing man doing in his right hand?
Did he throw some coins in the air?

Two-up is a betting game particularly associated with WW1 Diggers. Further explanation here
Rosbif  Australia

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 04 Aug 2017, 13:40

Graeme wrote:
My painting's nothing special but I thought I might post pictures when I've done something a bit different with the figures.

If only those that painted like Udo showed their works, the forum would be an impoverished place indeed. As it happens, you have created something special here. It is a nice change of pace to see a scene of soldiers (and a lady friend) out of action and passing the time at their ease. And you have painted and photographed it with considerable skill. Well done.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Wiking on 04 Aug 2017, 15:37

Thank you for your information Rosbif.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 04 Aug 2017, 16:10

Wiking wrote:Thank you for your information Rosbif.

I followed the link and learned a lot, too. Good stuff.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 04 Aug 2017, 16:21

Thank you all for the likes and the positive comments, you have put a smile on my face :-D .

Wiking. You got it, tossing coins and betting on the result. Not in an army camp but I think these men have been rotated well back behind the lines to a rest & recreation area before returning to the front.

The way the figures are set up I was hoping people who know nothing about this Australian tradition would still understand what was happening. And you did.

As Rosbif says this is the Australian game of Two Up which has a unique connection with the WWI veterans.
The game perhaps started on the gold fields and has always been an illegal backstreet gambling game. It was illegal in the army too but soldiers always like to pull a few dodges behind their officers backs. Nearly every American war film I've seen has a lovable rogue who organises an illicit craps game.

Australian troops in WWI also liked to think of themselves as Larrikins, that is not too bothered about always obeying All of the rules. As long as they put up a good fight that's what mattered. So, I think two up was popular because it was against the rules and it was Australian.

The national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand is 25th April, ANZAC Day. The first commemorations took place in 1916. On this day It was illegal for licenced premises to sell alcohol as a mark of respect for the fallen, fair enough.

But, when the troops who returned from the great war gathered on ANZAC day they payed their respects to their fallen comrades at the services, they marched in the parade and then, understandably, they wanted to have a drink with the old mates that they fought with. And play Two Up.
When told by the authorities that they were not allowed to play Two Up they simply replied "We played Two Up in the trenches".

Any old Diggers who played Two Up were breaking the law. Any publican who sold them a drink was breaking the law and risked loss of licence, and any copper who turned a blind eye (which was all of them, obviously) was also breaking the law and could be dismissed from the force.

Every year the old Diggers flouted the law by drinking sly grog and playing Two Up. And so did their sons and grandsons who returned from WWII, Korea and Vietnam. And every year the police were put in the unacceptable position of being expected to arrest old Diggers on ANZAC day.

Sometime in the late seventies or early eighties sense prevailed. The licensing laws were changed so that alcohol can be served after 12 noon, and the Government passed legislation to the effect that it is not illegal for a returned serviceman or woman to play Two Up on ANZAC day.

So the game has become something of an iconic symbol of Australian troops who have served in war. And I hope it is , sort of, the way they would want to be remembered.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Bluefalchion on 04 Aug 2017, 17:48

We don't have a "love" feature in this forum for use on your last post, so I gave it a "like."

Posted by sansovino on 06 Aug 2017, 10:10

.. a good intense scene, a good story and very good explanations - nothing is missing here.
I like, no I love your group of men and one woman besides fightings.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Peter on 28 Nov 2017, 22:20

I really like this scene and the historical background! Thanks! I learned something new! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 29 Nov 2017, 10:53

Missed this one! Damn vacation! Great scene and always nice to learn something new!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Gallery