Gallery

DIORAMA OF THE BATTLE OF QUEENSTON HEIGHTS (CANADA) – OCTOBE

Posted by Salaberry on 17 Jul 2017, 00:36

DIORAMA OF THE BATTLE OF QUEENSTON HEIGHTS (CANADA) – OCTOBER 13TH 1812

Overview of the Battle of Queenston Heights
(those who don’t like historical background can just scroll down to the pictures below)

On 18 June 1812, the United States declared war on Britain and planned the conquest of Upper Canada. Part of the American strategy for the first year of the war was to capture Niagara (now Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario) to use as a bridgehead for invasion and capture of the province. By October, they had assembled a large army on the New York side of the Niagara River under the command of Major General Stephen Van Rensselaer. Major General Sir Isaac Brock spread out his smaller defending force along the 55-km-long Niagara River. Brock knew that the Americans would strike but did not know exactly when or where. His strategy was to keep garrisons at vulnerable points and then concentrate his defenders when American intentions became clear.

On 11 October, the Americans began embarking troops at Lewiston, New York to cross the Niagara River to Queenston but this attack was aborted. Two days later, before dawn, the invasion was launched in earnest and the British defenders were pushed back allowing the Americans a foothold on Canadian territory. Brock at Fort George had initially feared that the pending assault on Queenston was a feint but the ferocity of the artillery fire convinced him that this was the site of the main invasion. He quickly rode off to take command at Queenston leaving most of the fort's contingent to follow.
Soon after Brock's arrival in Queenston, the Americans captured the strategic redan battery on the escarpment. Brock was killed in the early morning leading a counterattack to attempt the recapture of that key position.

British Major General Roger Hale Sheaffe, now in command, arrived with reinforcements from Fort George. He marched his men out of range of the American artillery in Lewiston and climbed to the top of Queenston Heights. Most of the American army had taken position here, kept pinned down by a small group of Mohawk and Delaware warriors. American reinforcements did not arrive as many of the militiamen assembled at Lewiston refused to cross into Upper Canada.
Joined by the British forces from Chippawa, Sheaffe fired a volley of musketry and launched a bayonet charge on the Americans. The poorly trained and now demoralized American army collapsed in panic.

Many were killed trying to descend the escarpment or drowned trying to swim across the swift Niagara River to safety. Of the fewer than 1400 Americans who fought in the battle, more than 900 were taken prisoner. The British force engaged in the battle was equal in number to the Americans who had fought.
While Queenston Heights was an important victory for the British, the death of Isaac Brock represented a significant loss. However, Brock's memory continued to inspire Upper Canadians to defend their land against several subsequent American invasions.

Source: Parks Canada

My diorama comprises over 75 figures and shows the moment when the last unit of the 13th US infantry regiment reached its breaking point on the way down from the heights and collapsed under the weight of the Indian attack. Mohawk warriors are on their heels and the last line of resistance has just broken.

Figures come from various sets: Ehmar, Italeri, Esci, Airfix and Strelets: most were modified.
This is the first posting. Regulars here will recognize some figures which were posted earlier this year on this forum.

More to follow.
Comments and criticism welcome.

Salaberry
Last edited by Paul on 13 Aug 2017, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic links fixed
Salaberry  Canada

Posted by Mai Strac on 17 Jul 2017, 00:53

Amazing work!!! :notworthy: :-D :-D
More pics will be very appreciate!! :-D ;-)
Mai Strac  Italy

Posted by MABO on 17 Jul 2017, 06:34

Very interesting historical background. I did not know much about this conflict. More picture would be fine as Mai Strac has written.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by sberry on 17 Jul 2017, 08:07

Very colorful, and very interesting - it is always a pleasure to see episodes from history that have not been presented before.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Konrad on 17 Jul 2017, 08:52

Great!
Simply great.
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Wiking on 17 Jul 2017, 15:32

Salaberry wrote:
Comments and criticism welcome.

All start with an idea.
Thank you to share us the historical background to your colorful work.
The Indian summer is great done in all his brightness. As all the figures too.
Advantage to the painted body of the Indians.
Well done.
:yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Jul 2017, 00:32

A wonderful diorama full of US soldiers and woodland Indians. An uphill struggle of history. I cannot fault any of the work. The tree`s of which there are many I like and admire very much indeed.

However the picture clarity could have been better. I respectfully mention this in a kind and undemanding manner. I realise one has to use the tools one has,and I therefore totally understand.

All in all it is a complete well worthwhile slice of Canadian & American history. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Hellboy on 18 Jul 2017, 08:17

A very nice diorama !!!! :yeah: A great color game !!!! And so many details. I always find something new, for example the mushrooms on the tree trunks. lovingly!

Thank you also for the information on the battle. Was not known to me. Very interesting!!

Congratulations to this diorama !!!! :-D
Hellboy  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 18 Jul 2017, 09:41

I like the autumn atmosphere. It is very well presented.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Salaberry on 18 Jul 2017, 18:28

Newest offerings, and thanks for the comments/criticism.
Don't blame the camera; blame the guy using it.

More to come

Sala

Salaberry  Canada

Posted by Bluefalchion on 18 Jul 2017, 19:12

What brilliant colors! Your dios are a bit more violent than most, but you are depicting a brutal battle. As a stylistic choice it is certainly valid. I enjoyed looking at these figs when you showed them to us individually, but I like them even more in this setting.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by sansovino on 20 Jul 2017, 19:45

I can only join Bluefalchions statements: a wonderful colourful diorama of a dramatic moment in history - a delicous delight for all vivid eyes! .
You seems to be very talented to paint impressive indians. Where are coming your interest especially to indians? Do you have still more dioramas of the french-indian war?
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Salaberry on 20 Jul 2017, 23:25

Here the latest shots: more to come.
BTW, for those of you who, like me, can't stand photobucket, Servmig does the trick too.

Comments and criticism welcome...
Salaberry  Canada

Posted by Salaberry on 20 Jul 2017, 23:31

sansovino wrote:I can only join Bluefalchions statements: a wonderful colourful diorama of a dramatic moment in history - a delicous delight for all vivid eyes! .
You seems to be very talented to paint impressive indians. Where are coming your interest especially to indians? Do you have still more dioramas of the french-indian war?

Thank you for the comments/compliments.
Actually, this dio was intended only for me to finally use two boxes of Italeri natives I had stashed away for years.
When the Ehmar British infantry sets came out a while back, I saw an opportunity to convert them into US troops for the War of 1812.
Since I "specialize" in the Napoleonic period, I don't intend to do anything else "native based", and no, no French/Indian war dio planned.

I have to say it was a joy to research and paint these figures: so much more freedom than respecting uniform codes.
Salaberry  Canada

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Jul 2017, 22:21

It was really great seeing more action pictures.
The poor guy with the tomahawk stuck into his chest was a very dramatic touch to include. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by sansovino on 22 Jul 2017, 13:31

Salaberry wrote:
I have to say it was a joy to research and paint these figures: so much more freedom than respecting uniform codes.

Thanks for your fast response. It´s really sometimes an avantage not to follow strict uniform codes. I understand you well and share this freedom although I love to paint Napoleonics too.
sansovino  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Salaberry on 23 Jul 2017, 02:39

Latest offerings:

This one has seen too many horrors and is in fact responsible for the whole US line collapsing under panic:

Salaberry  Canada

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Jul 2017, 03:05

Thanks very much for taking time out to provide us with more of your photographs. The thing about falling back in widespread panic is they gave the Indian`s their back in more was than one. That arrow wound in the first picture has certainly got to smart something awful! Poor guy. The one thing they have in their favor are the fixed bayonets. Most certainly a well combined topic of some splendid action pictures. :thumbup: Well done BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Jul 2017, 08:30

Hello.

This is an interesting diorama off the beaten track so to speak.

Lovely groundwork with those gorgeous colours nature throws out in Autumn.

The figures/conversions are dynamic with visible human interactions. Lots of violence as per the original, with one guy looking a bit Mel Gibson off the patriot film, covered in blood.

The Indians look suitably fierce and the painting is excellent.

Well done.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Lobowwe on 13 Aug 2017, 08:00

Excellent history of the diorama and great pics- ( %^^%$ Photobucket!)
Lobowwe  

Next page

Return to Gallery