Gallery

Ildfus Mahler's finished 1/72mm projects

Posted by Bluefalchion on 03 Jan 2018, 22:25

Tremendous paint job, and I love the elaborate base as well. One tiny criticism--he looks like he is leaning backwards at so steep an angle that he would likely fall over.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 04 Jan 2018, 08:57

He's been hit? Great painting!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Jan 2018, 14:10

The experimental self learning aspect of the hobby is a real joy to hip hop in selective photographs to a good end result. The real artful example is not spending a fortune in doing it. Great to see the NCO from 40 Marine Commando. Your title reminded me of friends i had long ago in 42 Commando SBS , who often took part in training with all of us old boys from that bygone age of 1970`s - 80`s.
:coffee: "Oh What Adventurous Larks We All Had!"

Splendid Figure Painting David. Congratulations on your Cool Blog too. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Carlos on 04 Jan 2018, 14:52

An excellent work in figure painting, and the frameworks are very realistic and there is a great artistic skill, that make you can enjoy seeing those figures again and again.
That you make go beyond simple modeling and that have to do with creating something nice to see.
I think there are many of us who are looking forward to your publications.
Congrats.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Wiking on 04 Jan 2018, 18:33

One thing I would like to add.

It would be very, very nice if you show us a step by step painting pic show.
Or something like that for your next 1/72 figure.

As an example:
Beginning from cutting the base of the figure with a pic. How to debur the figure with pic. A pic with the used knife, saw, laser sable ...
Priming or not. Base color. Pic.
Painting first the base color for the face or painting first the clothes. And why.
Do you use a pencil in black color for outline (pic) or even not.
And so on.

A statement, opinion, experience a why or a why not to each pic.
And the small overseen steps, things make often the impact and wow effect !

I know that this is not easy.
A lot, lot of additional work.
To do the right angle, light to show us what you want to explain with the camera.

My target is:
The average figure painter like me do not suddenly rise to top painters, just by following your way.

But I think there is for everyone a:
"OH! I do the same technique but ..."
"This is new to me".
"Good idea I will try this".
" etc ... "

I am me pretty sure there is a input, idea for a lot of figure painters.

PS: This is not the price for the figure. It is up to you if you have the time to show us your way from piece of plastic to, Ben90 wrote: True art.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 04 Jan 2018, 19:07

David did give us a nice step-by-step with his U.S. Marine in Vietnam running through water, but if he is willing to share more details of his technique, well, I would be quite interested as well.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by ildfus mahler on 04 Jan 2018, 21:51

Dear friends,

wow. I am speechless. So much praise! Thanks so much.

As for the WIP pics, I will be happy to post a few pics with some of my thinking of the Commando. I will also be more than happy to document the next project in a bit more detail here, if you want. I cannot give you a detailed write-up of all my thought processes in making the model and bases, as this is much too chaotic ;-)

However, I will provide some more detailed descriptions (for this and future projects) and - more importantly, will be happy to answer your questions! That way, I feel, one learns most: by trying to understand what is going on and asking specific questions *teacher mode off*

One warning, though: I move towns (within Germany, from Heidelberg to Hamburg) tomorrow and will start a new job on Monday, so it might be some time before I can finish the description. But I promise, it will come :)

Thanks again for your kind words and support! All the best,

D.
ildfus mahler  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 04 Jan 2018, 23:42

ildfus mahler/ David is a treasure for this forum. I will patiently await the promised tutorials, and I have little doubt my forum brothers will do the same.

Posted by ildfus mahler on 20 Feb 2018, 15:25

Dear friends,

just a quick heads-up. I have not forgotten my promise to write a detailed report on how I proceed in realizing my projects. It's just that moving and starting a new job took much of my time and energy lately (it has been great, though). I am currently slowly building a base for my Ashigaru, which I painted for the November 2017 duel and which I will document for a comprehensive article on base-building.

I also am preparing a new project (always doing multiple projects at the same time), a Swiss Reisläufer, which will be a present for a friend of mine. I will write a comprehensive report on that one for another blog - and I will be sure to post the link here, once that is finished.

So, thanks for your patience. There is stuff to come :-)

Cheers, David
ildfus mahler  Germany

Posted by ildfus mahler on 19 Apr 2018, 10:21

Dear all,

finally, I finished my 1/72 Zvezda Ashigaru I painted for the November 2017 Duel here at Benno's. It took some time before I got a good idea for a base (usually, I have a pretty good idea of the story I want to tell, but since with the duels we are not supposed to build/paint bases, I did not think much about that before delving into the painting) - but now I am quite happy with that one. It depicts our brave spear-warrior guarding his master's cherished goldfish...

Below, please find two pics, more pictures can be found at: http://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/17333

I also took a large number of pictures during the creation of the base, and will write a summary of that process soon.

Thanks for watching and best,

D.
ildfus mahler  Germany

Posted by Graeme on 19 Apr 2018, 12:20

Yes I remember this one. I love the figure, the skin tones are amazing but the base lifts it to an even higher level. That Koi pond is incredible!
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Apr 2018, 12:44

Fantastic dark presentation of good quality painting. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Apr 2018, 13:47

Your water technique has improved by leaps and bounds. What a great idea to make the base a section of a goldfish pond! Love it.

Posted by Wiking on 19 Apr 2018, 14:39

Good idea.
Well executed.
Nice nature.
Great paint. (I talk about the fishes. :mrgreen: )

One more superb work of you.
:yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Hellboy on 20 Apr 2018, 20:44

It's just amazing! :shock: Your vignettes are masterpieces! :yeah:
I really love the Ashigaru. The painting of the figure is spectacular! The play of light and shadow is fantastic! The representation of the water is completely realistic and a real eye-catcher !!! Congratulations !!!!!!! :-D
Hellboy  Germany

Posted by MABO on 21 Apr 2018, 07:43

That's a very fine idea with the kois. And the water you have created is perfect! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by ildfus mahler on 23 Apr 2018, 14:58

Thanks, my dear friends. I am deeply humbled by your praise and very happy that you like my little vignette. I will sit down this week and start working on that tutorial on how I created the Ashigaru's base.

Best, D.
ildfus mahler  Germany

Posted by ildfus mahler on 25 Apr 2018, 18:55

Dear friends,

as promised, I put together a walk-through of my building of the Ashigaru base. You can find it in my WIP thread:

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20644&p=236243#p236243

Best, D.
ildfus mahler  Germany

Previous page

Return to Gallery