Gallery

SCW Carlist Regiment

Posted by despertaferro on 10 Jun 2017, 20:52

Dear colleagues,

I had not much time for painting lately, but, stealing some hours here and there, I managed to finish another bunch of figures to increase my SCW range...

These are from the Navarrese Carlist militia, some of the finest troops the nationalist could field.

I have not much time (tomorrow I’m working at 5.30 am...) and I just post some gral views.
Next week I’ll try to add some close ups and complete the thread giving some historical background about who were these men.

Many thanks for stopping by…

Last edited by Kekso on 06 Jul 2017, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed picture links
despertaferro  

Posted by Bluefalchion on 11 Jun 2017, 02:05

Beautiful stuff as always. Many painters on this forum, myself included, would love to accomplish working around the clock what you manage sneaking in some limited painting time here and there.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Wiking on 11 Jun 2017, 06:10

In the first few pic it look like as you called the, fines troops, attacking with a - white flag. :-D

The third pic clarified it.
Nice paint figures. Highlight is the man with the white beard. :yeah:
These must be fanatic troops. The running man holding the cross in front of him.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Chariobaude on 11 Jun 2017, 08:40

Excellent painting...and choice of era !
Are your carlist soldiers wearing german-type helmets ?
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Konrad on 11 Jun 2017, 10:11

Great as always,my friend!
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by carlosfaro on 11 Jun 2017, 10:37

Nice figs dedpertaferro..aré they 1/72???
About the "Germán" helmets: they aré indeed a spanish model "trubia herr" which was Issued to the regular Army in the early 30,s... then un civil war both sides wore it from irregular supply
carlosfaro  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bill Slavin on 11 Jun 2017, 13:57

Very nice painting!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Cryns on 13 Jun 2017, 09:42

Great work,

despertaferro wrote: complete the thread giving some historical background about who were these men.

Yes please. I thought Carlists were from a 'Baroque' war with France: the Carlist Wars.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by despertaferro on 13 Jun 2017, 10:08

Hi, I guess you’re ready for the long speech... :-D

At the end of the 17th Century, the Spanish decadent monarchy was ruled by Carlos II, the last to be from Royal Austrian lineage. When he died with not heirs, Louis XIV, le Roi Soleil, found the opportunity to put some of his own lineage sitting on the Spanish throne. So he did it. Since then, the history of Spain has been full of civil wars (3 between 1833 and 1876!) amongst the supporters of the two royal lineages. The Carlists (King Carlos supporters) were stronger on small cities or rural areas, and wanted a traditionalist, catholic, conservative and absolutist monarchic regime.

When Franco made his push on 1936, the Carlist were (not only but mostly) very strong in Navarre, a northern region close to the Pyrenees and neighboring the Basc Country. All along the 2nd Republic period, the bellicose, ultra-catholic and anti-democratic Carlist (known as Requetés) started to prepare seriously for civil war, and despite a lack of weapons they were organized and trained efficiently with the help of sympathetic Army officers.

The Carlist had significant ideological differences with the Fascist leaders, and Franco’s uprising saw them siding with him uneasy and only at the last moment, when their leader, Manuel Fal Condé, agreed to place his militiamen under local Army commanders. But the Navarrese units would continue to enjoy a degree of separate status which often made their integration into the nationalist Army’s plans difficult.
To avoid that, the Nationalist leaders made a unification of Carlist militia and Falange (the blue shirts, the Spanish fascist movement) into a single Nationalist party. Its traditional leaders were exiled for the rest of the war and more cooperative figures stepped forward keeping the troops from the Carlist heartland of Navarre remaining loyal to the Nationalist side.

These militiamen, who went into battle accompanied by catholic priests and with their shirts breast pockets pinned with crosses, scapulars and catholic medals, had a reputation of toughness, high motivation and comparatively good training; and were instrumental in several Nationalist victories. Most continued to wear their traditional red berets with nationalist uniforms.

And that’s all, folks…! :sweatdrop:

(1/72 metal figures from Minairons)

despertaferro  

Posted by Cryns on 13 Jun 2017, 10:21

Thanks a lot for your clarifying backgroundstory, Despertaferro :yeah:

despertaferro wrote:These militiamen, who went into battle accompanied by catholic priests and with their shirts breast pockets pinned with crosses, scapulars and catholic medals

You have any problem when calling these men 'religious fanatics?' ;-)
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 13 Jun 2017, 11:49

Wonderful, as usual! :thumbup: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Return to Gallery