Gallery

Samnites and other Italian Allies

Posted by PhilC on 20 May 2017, 11:09

Hi everyone!

Today's post is related to the Republican Roman era.

The Samnites were a group of people living in the center of Italy. Rome and the Samnite confederation fought several wars during the Samnites Wars, between the 4th and the 3rd centuries BC. After the defeat, the Samnites became forced allies of Rome.

FIrstly, I would like to show you a few pictures of my Samnite warriors.

The man on the left is an ordinary warrior, with a colorful tunic and bronze armor.

The three others are noble members of a particular (elite?) unit called Legio Linteata. They were clothed in white and wore silver armors.

More about the Samnites here: http://philotepsfigures.blogspot.fr/2017/05/samnites.html

As the power of Rome increased, the Italian people were incorporated in the Roman army, as volunteer or forced allies. The next pictures show my attempt at representing such units - they look like Romans, maybe less uniformed. I thought I already showed them on this forum but I couldn't find anything related to this subject - my apologies if I post the same thing twice.

More about the Italian Allies here: http://philotepsfigures.blogspot.fr/2017/03/republican-romans-italian-allies.html

Hope you like them :-)
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Cryns on 20 May 2017, 11:33

Yes I like them. Some expressive, nice painting. :yeah:

But the last picture showing a very poor sculpting. :(
Many of these figures show very heavy limbs.
For mass scenes or wargame armies that is fine.
But I wonder why you chose these plastics to paint and show as single 'special' figures. Can you explain that to us?

I think your style, talent and historic knowledge deserves better material to start with.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by MABO on 20 May 2017, 12:08

Mr. Cryns wrote:Yes I like them. Some expressive, nice painting. :yeah:

But the last picture showing a very poor sculpting. :(
Many of these figures show very heavy limbs.
For mass scenes or wargame armies that is fine.
But I wonder why you chose these plastics to paint and show as single 'special' figures. Can you explain that to us?

I think your style, talent and historic knowledge deserves better material to start with.

This is good old HäT stuff. Form the beginning of the "Golden Age of 1/72"! :-D
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Cryns on 20 May 2017, 12:53

MABO wrote:This is good old HäT stuff. Form the beginning of the "Golden Age of 1/72"!

MABO this sounds like nostalgia. :winky:

Nostalgia is often an emotion of desire to our early years in life when our parents took care of us and we were happy in a world of plastic toys. Nostalgia is an escapism from our real daily life that is often too difficult to handle and accept. So we flee in our childhood hobbies again. Which counts for many of us, there should be no doubt about that.

But all of that makes sense as long as we are talking about the Airfix Drumband or Atlantic Roman infantry (ridiculous but rare).
But these plastics were produced long after you and me were fertile grown ups :-D
And these figures are still on the shops shelves so they have no vintage value at all.

Better arguments please :mrgreen:
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Bluefalchion on 20 May 2017, 13:20

Mr. Cryns wrote:

PhilC likes them? :P
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 20 May 2017, 13:34

Great stuff, PhilC. I do like your painting style. And thanks for the information that accompanied them.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PhilC on 20 May 2017, 14:53

Thank you all for your comments :-)

I have to find good arguments for Mr Cryns who is demanding :D

It is not that easy. First, I don't consider myself as a good painter, so I don't believe I deserve any particular mini or anything like that.

Second, I confirm that Hät minis are not a reminiscence of my childhood, nothing to do with that. But I bought these minis in a time when I did not even imagine I could paint several layers (with shades and lights) on figures, and I painted a complete DBA Republican Roman Army.
For instance (enamel colors by the way):

Yes I must admit that I was a bit disappointed with these minis at that time, but they had the greatest interest in my eyes: they existed, in 1/72 (and their Carthaginian opponents too :)) ! And years after, I wanted to see if I could paint something nice with another standard of painting... and I must say that, yes, I am rather happy with the result.

Third, they are not meant to be single figures, but wargame figures (remember, I have very little time, am a slow painter and change my plans every week :)).

And Four... I must admit that I find it challenging to get the best out of ordinary (or even poor) minis. Maybe because I am afraid of the best ones ?

I hope, dear Mr psychologist Rabbit in uniform, that you will consider my arguments as relevant :mrgreen:
PhilC  Europe

Posted by Bluefalchion on 20 May 2017, 15:12

Your painting style has really improved!

Posted by Cryns on 20 May 2017, 15:28

PhilC wrote:I hope, dear Mr psychologist Rabbit in uniform, that you will consider my arguments as relevant

Dear PhilC.

Thank you so much for visiting our clinic today.
And for your honest and personal answers to our conventional questions.
What we can read here is some clever analysis of what you do and why.
You are a true man of science, self reflexion and fine arts.

Respect.

Summarizing: You were not satisfied with the old results and now, 15 years later, you improved your skills. You succeeded completely.

Conclusion: We are never too old to learn.

Prescribed medicine: 'base your figurines'

PhilC wrote:I painted a complete DBA Republican Roman Army.

:yeah:

Logical. Use things for what they are made for.

And as a group, those 12 enamel painted Romans look very good.
Not only because you painted them, but also because they were designed for gaming, considering the slightly different poses that make them fit so well together. And that is still a big plus for these figures, and for the people&company who designed and produced them.

Well, thanks for your presence, and we see each other next month. Same room, same time.
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by PhilC on 20 May 2017, 16:04

Mr. Cryns wrote:
Prescribed medicine: 'base your figurines'

Oki, doc :occasion:

Mr. Cryns wrote:
Well, thanks for your presence, and we see each other next month. Same room, same time.

Same price ? Don't I deserve a reduction after so many dates ? :joker: :joker:
PhilC  Europe

Posted by Wiking on 21 May 2017, 00:40

Horrible, scary, boring again and again.
:mrgreen:

Great painting all around.
:yeah:

Is there a competition of feather on top? Dior is in row, Prada is cross on top.
But the top seller seems to be the one for the crest.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by MABO on 21 May 2017, 07:52

Mr. Cryns wrote:
MABO this sounds like nostalgia. :winky:

But all of that makes sense as long as we are talking about the Airfix Drumband or Atlantic Roman infantry (ridiculous but rare).
But these plastics were produced long after you and me were fertile grown ups :-D
And these figures are still on the shops shelves so they have no vintage value at all.

Vintage value can be discussed as well: I restarted collecting and painting nearly 20 years ago and these figures are in the first parcel I have ordered from Kai Fuhrmann. So I am deeply emotionaly attached when I see them :coffee: :love1:

It brings back good old memories. That is a fact! And that is what I would like to point out.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Cryns on 21 May 2017, 09:19

MABO wrote:I restarted collecting and painting nearly 20 years ago and these figures are in the first parcel I have ordered from Kai Fuhrmann. So I am deeply emotionaly attached when I see them

Nostalgia to nostalgia!

I never thought that emotion exists. But now you opened my eyes for it.
Thanks for sharing your feelings with us. :-D

MABO wrote:Kai Fuhrmann

Why is he not active in this forum?
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by MABO on 22 May 2017, 09:17

Mr. Cryns wrote:I never thought that emotion exists. But now you opened my eyes for it.
Thanks for sharing your feelings with us. :-D

Your welcome, even if you have no sense for emotions... :mrgreen:

Mr. Cryns wrote:Why is he not active in this forum?

Maybe only "Undercover"???
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 May 2017, 13:48

Well Phil, I like the figures concerned and they are well presented here,and indeed so is your painting of them. Not many authors care to paint shields, and so that is a plus mark in your favour, as far as I am concerned. Well done,and keep posting here inspite of such a slant put upon your choice of figures to paint.

I see it all,and here within this topic others can see it to.
Arrogance beyond belief, Mr Cryns!
If they gave out medals for such dictatorial slant upon this Forum.
You would indeed have a heavy chest full of them by now.
Yes it seems your long ears of authority are being allowed to grow here?

Inspite of all your wonderful art & crafts placed here,I for one would vote you gone in a second. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 22 May 2017, 14:25

BB--

I am going to write now in defense of Mr. Cryns. Cryns told PhilC that PhilC was getting so good at painting that Cryns suggested PhilC should work on a higher quality of figures. Then Cryns and PhilC joked about it back and forth. In this exchange, I don't see arrogance, but instead one friend encouraging another to continue to advance and improve. There is no indication in this thread that the receiver of the advice was offended in any way. Now put the kettle on and lets talk about the doings of Fiddlewood, my friend. But in a different thread!

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 22 May 2017, 14:42

I'll bring cinnamon buns!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 May 2017, 14:57

I vote! time for tea! too! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Let the Samites and other Italian Allies rule here within this topic by Phil. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by PhilC on 22 May 2017, 20:37

Good evening from France, all of you :-) Good weather tonight, not too warm, we are in paradise, you should all come !!!

Since I am the receiver, I think I can give my point of view.

I didn't read any kind of offense in any of the posts above, on the contrary: I understand that we trust each other, enough to receive relevant criticism and questions. And even if we don't understand everything at once (remember that English is not my first language), we are all wise enough to ask, and explain, and ask again if necessary.

I really appreciate every nice comment, as I appreciate caustic remarks and embarrassing questions, because I want to learn and to improve my skills, painting skills, and answering skills :-D

Remember: painting mini is a hobby, we do it for fun, yes, but seriously ;-) , there's no need to read a topic as a drama :mrgreen: Maybe it's not time for tea anymore, but for a cool glass of Pouilly Fumé in the evening garden... something that our poor Samnites did not even imagine (they melted their wine with water, poor men...) !
PhilC  Europe

Return to Gallery