Gallery

Oviedo Provincial Militia

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Mar 2017, 21:34

I thought I would post the newest editions to my growing Spanish army, the Oviedo Provincial Militia 1808. I've painted these with the brown coats seen so often in the Spanish army at this time and later, and made a few alterations to the HaT line infantry figures to make them a bit less parade ground.
More pics and info can be seen on my blog.
http://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.c ... litia.html

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Kekso on 24 Mar 2017, 08:45

I like them and I like the scenery (not golf terrain grass :))
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Edwardian on 24 Mar 2017, 09:02

A great array. Very nicely painted and based. A goodly number, too, which is also good to see.

I do think brown is the way to go with these Provincial Militia units.

I can only agree with the comment about the terrain. Really very effective.

Also, love the cottage and is that a tree route brilliantly depicting a knarled Spanish tree?

Look forward to seeing more
Edwardian  United Kingdom

Posted by Cryns on 24 Mar 2017, 10:58

Dear Bill,

Wonderful. I completely agree with both gentlemen above: big unit, very good painting, an original choice of subject, and I love your long hairy grass plaid in combination with those organic root trees. Last but not least you payed attention to the bases fitting in the landscape. I hope this picture of yours will inspire other members.

The house looks scratchbuild, of course I like that. I wonder though if that fits into a Spanish context: The house looks Northern European while Spanish Militia is not supposed to leave their territory. Did you build Spanish houses too?
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Mar 2017, 11:34

Very nice indeed. I love large units in the Napoleonic era as they convey the 'feel' of the times and are visually inspiring.

Great painting and although the house doesn't look very local, as a delapidated building it is great.

I love the tree root idea and intend to raid the garden later!

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 24 Mar 2017, 14:11

Thanks, all.
Well spotted! The house was one of a few dozen I have built for Normandy, WWII gaming. I do have a few lower-pitched Mediterranean houses, and should have dug them out for this shot. But there is not so much white wash and a lot of stone in the north of Spain, so I expect I still get good use from my present collection.
And yes, gnarly tree roots. Cedar are the best - getting these was the only good thing about someone knocking down a woods to build a house in my backyard.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 02 Apr 2017, 17:17

Another unit of the Spanish army in 1808 and another master piece. I like your painting style, very neat and clean. Good job, Bill. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Return to Gallery