Gallery

Romans in Outer Space: The Movie!

Posted by sberry on 07 Mar 2017, 18:20

Perhaps you remember, last summer I presented the project “Romans in Outer Space”.
Today, after several weeks of work, I can offer a final update on this story – the ultimate R.I.O.S. movie.
Because a diorama is quite a static affair, the movie is essentially a slideshow – with some extras. I used fresh photos that have not been shown before, but of course the motives are similar to the ones already presented.
In principle, one can simulate action in a diorama by moving a rolling camera. This is often done with nice results in large Waterloo dioramas and similar setups.
But since the base plate of the R.I.O.S. dio is only 53 cm x 78 cm, there is not much room for extensive panning and the like, before one reaches the edges of the diorama. Well, I have lots of footage showing the floor or the bookshelves of my study room, but I feel that using this material would somehow spoil the atmosphere of the movie.
But enough words, here’s the movie:

sberry  Germany

Posted by zulu`s 1000`s of em on 07 Mar 2017, 18:45

You have too much spare time :-) very very good 10/10 for originality , your hard work and enthusiasm are appreciated, thanks for putting a smile on my face this evening.
zulu`s 1000`s of em  United Kingdom

Posted by Wiking on 07 Mar 2017, 20:18

Very good sberry!
I like the beginning. This is well known. From a only minor more successful space saga.
And your closing credits listed all figure producer, orbit pic and so on that you use. Nice.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
For a great job that I do not know how much work is in it because I haven`t done something similar.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 07 Mar 2017, 21:43

Amazing work!
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Mar 2017, 09:58

Wow! I'm at the cinema! Where's the popcorn? :-D Great movie!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Cryns on 08 Mar 2017, 12:09

Funny done, a lot of work. I agree with Wiking!

Wiking wrote:I like the beginning. This is well known. From a only minor more successful space saga.
And your closing credits listed all figure producer, orbit pic and so on that you use. Nice.

Reading between his lines, we get to the conclusion your film gets a little disappointing as soon as the space ship has landed at the planet and the astronauts DO NOT MOVE. Nor do the little monsters. So Sberry, I think you should give the second part of the movie a second try.
At least you could use MABO's playmobil movie as an example for moving static figures around after removing them from the diorama base with the stop-motion camera technique.

But your monsters are screaming for even more spactacle!
You should make some of their arms, legs, heads and tails movable so they can get different poses. When you practice a little, it will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYWSOzFMZjg

Good luck with it and MABO can give you all the technical information I think ;-)
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 08 Mar 2017, 13:55

Enjoyed this one. I loved the sequences of the spaceship flying through space using the NASA, Hubble,etc, images as backdrops.

When you first posted these pics I thought the green monsters looked like they were blowing raspberries at the Romans to create a diversion while the sinister looking skeletoids closed in from behind. So I was quite happy when I watched the movie and that's sort of how the story played out.

Your choice of music was great, The night shots of the lit up ship look fabulous, and I love all of the Romanised touches on the model; the transverse crest on the centurions helmet, the eagle and scutae, and, does that rocket launcher look like a bundle of fasces?

Nicely done.

Mr. Cryns.

Willis O'Briens King Kong was ground breaking stuff for it's day, but when it comes to monster battles I think you can't beat this one:

https://youtu.be/zCRfJf-ZCqA

One of my top two favourite movies.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Cryns on 08 Mar 2017, 15:02

Wow Graeme, this film is really great and shocking!
Did not know this one.

So now you must tell us what is your other top two movie
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Graeme on 08 Mar 2017, 15:29

Wallace and Grommit's "The Wrong Trousers". :-D
Graeme  Australia

Posted by stenfalk on 08 Mar 2017, 18:46

What a nice idea! This should be a series. I'm already looking forward to the second part. ;-)
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by sberry on 09 Mar 2017, 10:26

Thank you guys!

Wiking wrote:For a great job that I do not know how much work is in it because I haven`t done something similar.

Yes, I didn't know how much work was ahead of me either when I started this thing. About five weeks, as I said. This does not mean I worked 24/7 on the project, but it swallowed up a great deal of time. A large part of it was to get used to the software I had never used before (e.g. Synfig for the animations), and for making some unnecessary detours.

Graeme wrote:When you first posted these pics I thought the green monsters looked like they were blowing raspberries at the Romans to create a diversion while the sinister looking skeletoids closed in from behind. So I was quite happy when I watched the movie and that's sort of how the story played out.

Raspberries? I have used really a lot of different materials for this diorama, but I can’t remember that raspberries were among them.

stenfalk wrote:This should be a series. I'm already looking forward to the second part.

I’m afraid there is no part II in sight. All available photos that had not been used before are now in the movie – there is simply nothing left that I could use. OK, I could start a new diorama – but this would be just too crazy.
sberry  Germany

Posted by FredG on 09 Mar 2017, 11:24

sberry wrote: I could start a new diorama – but this would be just too crazy.

I cannot remember anyone on this forum claiming to be sane :P
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Cryns on 09 Mar 2017, 12:36

Okay Sberry, leave the movie just like it is now. I think my expectations concerning an animation movie were a little too high. :oops:

In the end its still a cool movie to present your diorama work to the audience. :yeah:
I think you better let it all intact and start some new Roman (what else?) diorama.

Graeme wrote:Wallace and Grommit's "The Wrong Trousers". :-D

Will watch it.
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by MABO on 09 Mar 2017, 14:17

Hey Mr. Cryns, don't tell me you didn't know "The Wrong Trousers"?

MABO  Europe

Posted by Cryns on 09 Mar 2017, 14:49

MABO wrote:Hey Mr. Cryns, don't tell me you didn't know "The Wrong Trousers"

Yes its true. I do not know The Wrong Trousers. :oops:
In fact I know Wallace and Grommit mostly from hearing about when my wife told me about it.
And only today I realize this man and his dog have so much similarities with the farmer and his dog from Aardman's 'Shaun the Sheep' of which I do have seen a lot of parts and which I love a lot.
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by MABO on 09 Mar 2017, 16:17

Shaun the Sheep is part of the "Program with the Mouse" here in Germany.
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 09 Mar 2017, 17:16

Hi.

I have only just spotted this.

It is completely bonkers but also brilliant in conception and application.

You have a talent here that would not go amiss in the film industry.

Well done.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Carlos on 09 Mar 2017, 18:24

This is really very good.
Do you work in the film industry or videos?

Cause I like Sci Fi I had seen the photos of your work on Romans in Outer Space before in the forum, and it seemed very good and original and with a lot of technical quality for modeling. And the history is interesting too.
And now I see it this way, and I have to say that your ability to make a film is extraordinary.
Like the fellow says before.
Waiting for the second part!!!
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by daikaigan on 09 Mar 2017, 18:47

A wondewrfull creativity
Cheers Massimo
daikaigan  Italy

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Mar 2017, 04:27

Splendid Video,and those Romans have big time problems with those creatures from Ripley`s Sci- fi nightmare movies. BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Gallery