Gallery

Italy before the Romans

Posted by sberry on 09 Feb 2017, 09:56

stenfalk wrote:If you're interested to want more suitable pigs for the "Italy before..." diorama......i

Yes, I have thought about using pigs that are more realistic. But when I made the final plan for the diorama and assembled all the stuff that I would use, your beautiful boars were still in the making, and so I decided I would rather get this project on the way with the material already at hand.

However, if you produce a smaller version of your wild boars in the future, they could be suitable for many historical dioramas where one does not want to use those modern looking ones.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Cryns on 22 Jul 2017, 11:50

sberry,

When exploring northern Greece and Macedonia on Google Earth, looking for ancient Greek ruin cities, I stumbled into two archeological sites that may have your interest.

Dispilio:
40°29'7.92"N 21°17'31.67"E

Lake Ohrid:
40°59'39.39"N 20°47'52.93"E

(copy paste these to your GE search bar. Depending on the language of your GE program you may have to change E (east) into O (ost)

Lots of panoramio's to click upon.
Well you may know both of them already but these did awaken my love for your diorama again.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by sberry on 25 Jul 2017, 13:54

Thank you very much for this info, dear Mr. Cryns. I did not know about these sites. Really interesting!

I was surprised about the reconstruction of the dwellings at the Macedonian site: I remember having read somewhere, that the idea of all buildings being positioned together one large platform is an outdated way to reconstruct such sites from the 19th century. But this referred to the Alpine region; I think it was Lake Constance in particular. It may be different for the Balkans. However, it is interesting that the reconstructions at the Greek site look quite familiar to those in Germany or Italy.
sberry  Germany

Previous page

Return to Gallery