Gallery

Late Imperial Roman Army - special Chariobaude

Posted by Michael Robert on 29 Dec 2016, 23:01

Bonsoir Chariobade,
sorry for late reply to your explanations.
I greatly appreciate your insight explanations. My guess would also be that Cataphractii were no match for a well trained legion in formation. I would say that they probably never attacked well-ordered infantry on first occasions (like medieval Knights would preferentially do) ; sassanides and sarmatians all relied heavily on light missile troops, mostly archers. Cataphractii would Attack when the troops are weakened, on the run or dispersed. I think I remember that saddle and stirrup technology was not yet at a point to allow thorough jousting. However, the fear factor these created was probably already well-developed and, of course, exploited.
Interesting topic

Bon courage pour la suite... que je suivrai avec intérêt
Michaël
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PhilC on 22 Jan 2017, 20:41

Hello my friends.
I would like to add a musician in this army. He is a Cornicen, named after his instrument, called a Cornu. His role on the battlefield was "to draw the troops attention to their standards before these were used to signal tactical movements" (Phil Barker, Armies and enemies of Imperial Rome, WRG publication).
He will be a welcomed recruit :-D Figure by Hät.

PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Peter on 22 Jan 2017, 21:07

Wonderfull painted musician! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by FredG on 22 Jan 2017, 21:31

Now that looks like he's the Roman equivalent of a foghorn. ( the fog of war?)
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Ben90 on 22 Jan 2017, 23:58

I like it, good paintjob!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by PhilC on 02 Apr 2017, 11:20

A small update for my Late Roman Army. I added 3 men to the Victores Iuniores, I now have 4 of them :)
Ok, not enough...

PhilC  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Chariobaude on 03 Apr 2017, 20:45

As usual, superb work Philotep !! the circles handpainted that way are just incredible ! But why choosing the same poses ??
i've added 4/5 new units at my project, i should post an update on my thread ! ;-)
Chariobaude  France

Posted by PhilC on 05 Apr 2017, 22:31

Yes you should, ASAP :)
PhilC  Europe

Posted by Ben90 on 05 Apr 2017, 22:50

These look great!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Cryns on 06 Apr 2017, 12:04

Yes they look great, my compliments!
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by PhilC on 05 Jul 2017, 05:42

Hi everyone.

I didn't paint a lot these days, but I took new pictures and I've written a series of posts related to the different units composing my Late Roman Army.

So far, I've painted enough figures to base 7 of the 12 elements required by the DBA ruleset.
Next to come: 1 more element of supporting archers (Psiloi), 2 elements of light cavalry, and 2 elements of medium cavalry, including the General.

To add variety to this army, I decided to paint Huns as light cavalry, here is the first one:

But I should be gathering an eastern army to add such an element, not a western army - the Huns can only be allies in this case... or else, I cheat :)

Everything is explained with more pictures here: https://philotepsfigures.blogspot.fr/20 ... eyond.html and also in the previous posts.
PhilC  Europe

Posted by sberry on 05 Jul 2017, 10:06

A very nice paintjob, I like those figures a lot. The only problem: Only one Hun so far, I'd love to see a large Hunnic contigent painted by you!
sberry  Germany

Posted by Wiking on 05 Jul 2017, 10:20

Nice and clean painting.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Ben90 on 05 Jul 2017, 13:18

Looks great!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Jul 2017, 13:44

That is really a nice stylish Hun figure to use.
Both horse, and rider pure magic. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Chariobaude on 09 Jul 2017, 21:53

Phil, your army in force is a masterpiece, i'm in love !! :-)

Concerning the Huns, you're right, they never fought in West roman regular unit. But you can add some Huns to your army with two" excuses":
- 300 mounted huns were serving as personnal bodyguards (bucellarii, here are mine, even if i choose to make some roman/german ones :https://comitatusgaulois.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/bucellarii-bucellaires/ )of Stilicho, the most important roman general at the beginning of the fifth century. they were so loyal that they had been slaughtered with him when the Emperor ordered its death.

- the same Stilicho called for hunnic help during the most important invasion Rome never faced : Radagaisus in 405, with 200 000 people (it seems that the figures are true, even if a part of it was composed by non-fighters :shock: ). The king of western huns, Uldin, came with its army and helped to destroy the invaders. In these case they were surely foederati, allies in roman service.

But concerning the miniature itself, i have to admit i'm not fan of it : to me it looks like a redskin ! :xd:

unfortunately, the manufacturer produced huns that looks like a mixture between mongols and indian, ignoring historical facts like
artificial cranial deformation
Gear composed by a mix of sarmatian and (Greek) bosphoran influences at least at the beginning
Ethnic diversity : the "huns" is a confederation of submitted people, mostly germanic. Real huns always been a minor fraction of their own empire.

I guess your horseman is from Lucky toys, a manufacturer who commit an horrible late romans set. Their huns are slighlty better, but still...
Chariobaude  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by sberry on 10 Jul 2017, 09:59

Chariobaude wrote:I guess your horseman is from Lucky toys, a manufacturer who commit an horrible late romans set. Their huns are slighlty better, but still...

I can only agree. Two of the most disappointing sets ever. The "Romans" are so awkward and terrible, it is almost impossible to find some usage for any figure from this set. The "Huns" are in fact slightly better, as Chariobaude said, in terms of the figure quality. But still they are pure Hollywood, not based on any archaeological evidence. Fortunately, we have the HäT Huns, which are certainly not perfect, but at least much better than this Lucky Toys trash.
sberry  Germany

Posted by sansovino on 20 Jul 2017, 20:02

Yes, the huns of Hat are still better but they are giants in comparison to the romans. It´s a pity that some producers doesn´t watch more their scales.
Do you have also visigoths as enemies of your late romans? Or your are intested only in the roman army?
sansovino  Germany

Posted by PhilC on 04 Jan 2018, 23:48

Hi everyone and a happy new year!

This year, I promised myself to finish the current projects (but not to start new ones before the old ones are completed :mrgreen: ), so I began to paint heavy cavalrymen for my Late Roman army: the Equites Constantiani feroces (as proposed by Chariobaude).

Their shield pattern is this one:

Here you are the riders:

Minis by Hät - I like them a lot, in spite of the soft plastic - not easy to remove the mold lines, but it proved very easy to paint.

Some historical explanations and more pictures on my blog: http://philotepsfigures.blogspot.com/20 ... uites.html

Other riders coming soon !
PhilC  Europe

Posted by Bluefalchion on 05 Jan 2018, 00:45

Those turned out really well! What type of paint did you use for the armor?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery