Gallery

Conquest of Tenochtitlan

Posted by despertaferro on 19 Oct 2016, 15:55

Hi, once again, a new army in progress…

In fact, there will be two armies here: The Aztec army of Motecuhzoma II and Cortez’s Spaniards army.

The early XVI Century is right on the edge between DBA and DBR (De Bellis Renationis) gaming systems. I did choose the last one because is more specific regarding troops types and, most important, the minimum base depth is 30 mm. So, no need to squeeze 4 infantry figures into a narrow 20 mm base like on DBA system! :-D

My Cortez army would be made of just 12 Spanish Conquistador bases and without their Tlaxcalan allies. And the Aztec army (I’m going to make it as biggest as the combination of one Revell and one Caesar Aztec sets allow me) is going to be made of Triple Alliance Aztec warriors (Tenochtitlan, Texcoco and Tlacopan federation) and mercenaries.

For now, I have half of the Aztec army finished and ready to be shown here. Half of the Conquistador army is nearly finished, so would follow shortly.

I hope you like them and many thanks for stopping by…

Suit Wearers Jaguar Order

Suit Wearers Eagle Order

Clan warriors

[img]http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss352/despertaferro_2009/21%20Aztec%20Clan%20Warriors%2008_zpsy3eh74l5.jpg[~original/img]

Skirmishers

Chichimec Mercenary Archers

Last edited by Paul on 05 Aug 2017, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic links fixed
despertaferro  

Posted by Wiking on 19 Oct 2016, 16:02

Beside the very nice painting, :yeah:
I think that they come not to play marbles. :shock:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Cryns on 19 Oct 2016, 16:09

Oh man wow this looks great. Those figures are for a long time on my wishlist to paint but I probably never will. These costumes took my attention already as a young child when I had a comic called Suske & Wiske en het Gouden Paard (Bob and Bobbette and the golden horse) about Cortez and the Aztecs. Well, Peter will know this comic I think. And your figures look great. The jaguar skins look great too. The birdmen were always my favourite. The guy painted all black with the 'Hindu-style hairdo' looks most scary.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by davbenbak on 19 Oct 2016, 16:33

Can't wait to see your Spanish units. I have numerous boxes of the Revell Conquistadors that I bought for Italian war units. Kinda wish I'd bought the Aztecs as well back when they were on store shelves.
davbenbak  United States of America

Posted by Chariobaude on 19 Oct 2016, 17:25

Can i ask a stupid question ? have you any idea of the time spent to paint these figures to a level of such quality??
Amazing work, i'm speechless.
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Konrad on 19 Oct 2016, 17:54

Very nice work and a unusual theme. :thumbup:
My azteks are here. ;-)
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 19 Oct 2016, 18:37

:shock: not my period, not my region, but - hell - the colorfulness (can I say that?) is astonishing
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Oct 2016, 21:49

The end result of lots of work, and diverse talent on display! :thumbup: Well Done, :-D i Love It! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Fire at Will on 20 Oct 2016, 06:34

Really nice painting, which rules are you going to use?

I've been using Steve Thomas' DBA in the New World rules

http://balagan.info/dbx/dba/new-world-dba
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by andi on 20 Oct 2016, 07:31

Perfect!
andi  Germany

Posted by Peter on 21 Oct 2016, 10:56

One of your most colourfull armies so far! And it's an excellent one! Keep them coming Joan! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by despertaferro on 22 Oct 2016, 16:15

Dear colleagues, once again thank you very much for your time and nice words :oops:

Wiking, certainly they did not. But with their cloth protections were ineffective to counter high speed crossbow bolts or sharp edged steel blades. And their obsidian edged weapons could do nothing against steel armour. Believed or not, the wound that the Spaniards feared the most was the produced by a well-aimed slingshot. A hit on the face or a disabled member, even if not deadly, could lead to a fatal consciousness or incapability.

Mr. Cryns, if we look at the huge amount of work and research you devote to every one of your jobs, it is hard to believe that you can concentrate on more than one or two subjects at a time.

Davbenbak, probably at the end of next week I’ll add to this post the first 7 Conquistadors bases: 5 of Sword and Buckler men, 1 of Crossbows and 1 Artillery base.

Chariobaude, it is hard to say. I have normally some 6 to 10 armies in progress on my painting table. Depending on my mood, I jump from one to another, I add some more… until the point one of them is looking good enough to realize that, with just 4 or 5 days of exclusive painting, it would be finished. The meaning of this is that, most of the times, I post here figures that had been on my painting table for months… or even years! As an example, I like very much Napoleonic subjects but never being able to paint them on just one go. So, I think very carefully before including a new Napoleonic era subject on my table… because I know it would be there for years.

Konrad, always a pleasure to watch your works once again! :thumbup:

Mr. Andrea, I don’t know your period, but not easy to make anything of your region… :-D

Fire at Will, I’m sorry to say that I do not play with my armies. I use the gaming system bases because that allow me to change, once on a while, their displaying.
despertaferro  

Posted by Michael Robert on 22 Oct 2016, 22:46

Hi Despertaferro

often I enjoy your painted figures. This time the aztecs are a real treat. I think you did a particularly beautiful painting on them. I am sure you love these figures.
I have painted mine some 8 years ago, but they are not near this level. I still had fun painting them though.

Best greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Kekso on 23 Oct 2016, 06:51

You're one of first painters I noticed when I joined this forum because of your great work.
Leopard skin pattern is amazing.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Cryns on 23 Oct 2016, 09:51

Konrad wrote:My azteks are here.

Konrad having a look at your Aztecs, I recognized them at once. About ten months ago some of them excellent painted Aztecs were in the painting contest, is that right?

And look what note Despertaferro left behind himself to the second page of your Aztec thread back in 2010:

despertaferro wrote:I have to try some of these some day...

Looks like he kept promise ;-)
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 23 Oct 2016, 17:11

Mr. Cryns wrote:Konrad having a look at your Aztecs, I recognized them at once. About ten months ago some of them excellent painted Aztecs were in the painting contest, is that right?

That were new 40mm figures and not 20mm!
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Cryns on 24 Oct 2016, 11:58

Peter wrote: That were new 40mm figures and not 20mm!

Hmmm :eh: thanks Peter, it seems like not only your French is better than mine but your memory works better too. That explains how figures from 2010 did (not) show up again in a 2015 contest. But they were Konrads' too, right?
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 24 Oct 2016, 15:28

Mr. Cryns wrote:
Hmmm :eh: thanks Peter, it seems like not only your French is better than mine but your memory works better too. That explains how figures from 2010 did (not) show up again in a 2015 contest. But they were Konrads' too, right?

Yes they were Konrad's figures. One of the rules of the painting competition is that it has to be new work, shown nowhere on www. As the PC organizer I knew this entry indeed.
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by despertaferro on 26 Oct 2016, 19:14

Hi, today I came home earlier than I thought and I had time to take some pictures right before the sunset :-D

So, here you have the first 7 Conquistadores bases... Figures from Revell, Caesar, RedBox and Hat.

I hope you like them and many thanks for your time!

Crossbows

Artillery

Buckler & Sword

Last edited by Paul on 05 Aug 2017, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic links fixed
despertaferro  

Posted by Peter on 26 Oct 2016, 19:37

Wonderfull! :shock: :thumbup:

Is that flag handpainted?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Next page

Return to Gallery