Aztec Command

Triple Alliance Eagle Warriors Command

Triple Alliance Jaguar knights

Suit Wearers Warband

Chichimec Mercenary Archers

Skirmishers

despertaferro  

Posted by Bluefalchion on 20 Feb 2019, 23:26

Amazing guys! Good to see your work here again sir.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Graeme on 21 Feb 2019, 03:32

Sometimes people post pictures that make me want things that I really don't need.

Your Aztecs always do that to me. They look terrific, really colourful, exotic and exciting! :yeah:
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Konrad on 21 Feb 2019, 06:17

Wonderful work from you again!
Ok,and now the samurais? ;-)
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bluefalchion on 21 Feb 2019, 06:33

So what do you do with all these figures you paint? I have painted only a tiny tiny fraction of what you have done over the last ten years, and I am not always sure where to store all I have done.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 21 Feb 2019, 08:55

Nice to see your work again! Agree with Aaron though, where do you store everything?
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 21 Feb 2019, 12:23

They lok fantastic Joan! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by sansovino on 21 Feb 2019, 22:54

.. still growing .... I appreciate your vivid soldier groups and fantastic colors
sansovino  Germany

Posted by MABO on 23 Feb 2019, 07:38

sansovino wrote:.. still growing .... I appreciate your vivid soldier groups and fantastic colors

It is the same with me. Looks really good. And you are dealing with figures, which one rarely see painted.
MABO  Europe

Posted by sberry on 23 Feb 2019, 19:02

sansovino wrote:I appreciate your vivid soldier groups and fantastic colors

I also agree! The colors are really excellent, and in combination with the clear paintjob the result is stunning.
sberry  Germany

Posted by despertaferro on 24 Jul 2022, 21:18

Both of these DBA armies are complete with all options included.

I would like to double their size using the Spanish sets from the Italian wars to make a more realistic Cortés army (these Conquistadores are too well dressed and armed to represent the ragged bunch that stormed Tenochtitlan), but the Aztec sets already are not available.
I will think about...

Thanks for your time

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by Peter on 24 Jul 2022, 21:47

Thanks for sharing Joan! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Michael Robert on 24 Jul 2022, 22:12

These are great - all in your style
If you want to make it more realistic, other making the Spaniards more ragtag, you would need to make the Aztecs like 10 : 1 at least.
Somehow I still canot figure out how the Spaniards overwhelmed them, even with much more efficient weaponry, steel, horses and cannons. Should also be difficult to game. Incidentally, there is recent French novel "Civilisations" by Laurent Binet which describes the - rather unlikely - historical "what if" the Indians got to Europe first and started their conquest. No idea whether this has been translated
Great painting
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by despertaferro on 25 Jul 2022, 00:17

Hello Michael...
I'm no expert, but I think there were several key factors:

1.- Most of these men were veterans of the Italian wars and native from the poorest corners of Spain. In other words, desperados with nothing to lose and fascinated by the legends about the gold of the New World. As individuals, much more barbaric and ruthless than the Aztecs themselves.

2.- The weapons they used were unknown to the natives of the New World. The steel swords they carried were among the best in Europe at the time. And they were experts in their use (some authors mention that the Spanish buckler and sword infantry during the Italian wars were the best of their kind since the Roman legions). But then, with the success of the Swiss and the Lanskenets tactics, the Pike and Shot period began. Leaving all these fine soldiers unemployed.
And the horses. Few survived the trek through the jungle from the coast, but to the natives of the New World, their sight was shocking. At first they thought that rider and horse formed a single being and believed they were facing some kind of mythological animal. In some battles, a few horsemen armed with spears were able to put armies of hundreds of warriors to flight.

3.- The Aztecs ruled an Empire and, as a consequence, extended their rule over a multitude of minor cultures that were just waiting for the opportunity to get rid of them. When the Spaniards attacked Tenochtitlan, their army consisted of a few hundred Spaniards and thousands of native allies determined to destroy the hated Aztecs forever.

4.- Finally, betrayal. They convince Moctezuma to meet with Cortés for a deal, and once there, they take him prisoner. In exchange for his life, the Spaniards forced him to order their warriors to stop fighting. Once achieved, they torture and kill the emperor in the most horrific way.

Contrary to popular belief, plate armor, crossbows and firearms had very little influence.
In rugged terrain and hot, humid weather, plate armor rusts quickly and is heavy and uncomfortable to wear. If you only need to protect yourself from weapons made of stone, wood or bone, a padded coat works exactly the same and is lighter and more comfortable to wear. Crossbows and firearms require maintenance and are complicated to repair. Dirt, humidity, and rain don't help to keep them ready for use when needed, and they're too slow to use if you're not out in the open.

Kind regards

Joan
despertaferro  

Posted by Kekso on 25 Jul 2022, 18:25

Awesome. Now I want to make some massive scene. But I'm too lazy and I don't know where to keep it except cardboard box :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by k.b. on 25 Jul 2022, 19:37

Why oh why can't i see any photos? But instead only the word "image"
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by k.b. on 25 Jul 2022, 19:40

murphy's law......... they've just appeared! Probably it's my impatience with my pc!!! I click and expect things to appear as quickly as on my phone - but my PC is probably 8 years old whereas my phone is but a year and a half! Sorry gents
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by blacksmith on 25 Jul 2022, 21:03

Hi, you put a lot of work on these armies and they do look really good, congrats.
May I ask you which measures you use for cavalry and infantry in your DBA armies? Also, which wash do you use to paint your figures, Army Painter, home-made...?
TIA
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by despertaferro on 26 Jul 2022, 18:29

Hello blacksmith...

If you go to page 1 of the DBA Battles post, you'll find a list of all the base sizes for each DBA troop type.

My washing is a mixture of very dilute black-brown enamel paint with matte coat.

Kind regards!

Joan
despertaferro  

Posted by Santi Pérez on 27 Jul 2022, 19:51

Great posts, Joan. Not only the first one with the pictures of both wonderful armies but also the second with so clear and accurate explanation of the superiority of the Spanish conquistadores over the conquered warriors. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery