Gallery

British Light Infantry--1815

Posted by vellek on 22 Aug 2016, 16:30

Various manufacturers:

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
Kurt
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Kekso on 22 Aug 2016, 16:32

Maybe not as good as your French Hussars but still very beautiful.
Well, it might be just a matter of taste or those photos could be a bit brighter.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 22 Aug 2016, 20:55

They don't look bad at all! The only thing I know is that you have to paint a lot of white straps on these figures! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2016, 02:23

Nice Work! :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by chen on 23 Aug 2016, 07:47

It is good to see that after so many years, Hat's figures are still the best that can bring you back into the true Napoleonic feelings, thanks to such good painting as well, of course! Well done, Kurt!

cheers,
chen
chen  China

Posted by davbenbak1 on 26 Aug 2016, 13:02

Some better pics, maybe close ups would show off what looks like a great paint job. But hey, this is a miniatures painting forum not a photography forum so thanks for posting.
davbenbak1  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by vellek on 26 Sep 2016, 15:53

davbenbak1 wrote:Some better pics, maybe close ups would show off what looks like a great paint job. But hey, this is a miniatures painting forum not a photography forum so thanks for posting.

I've abandoned the camera and used my iPhone. Hopefully these are somewhat easier to see.

Posted by despertaferro on 27 Sep 2016, 12:31

I guess I could paint my Napoleonic figures that good… :shock:

Congratulations!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
despertaferro  

Posted by Pete Shep on 04 Oct 2016, 11:23

Nice work on these figures, it's good to see a mixture of manufacturers working well together. I presume they will be based hence the lack of paint on the plastic bases?

Pete
Pete Shep  England

Posted by vellek on 04 Oct 2016, 16:24

Pete Shep wrote:I presume they will be based hence the lack of paint on the plastic bases?

Pete
Correct. At some future date they'll be part of a big set-up.

Posted by Cryns on 06 Oct 2016, 10:10

Vellek I do not want to offend you in any kind of way but to my opinion your massive stream of WORK IN PROGRESS PICTURES is LITTERING the GALLERY and so it is harming the QUALITY OF THE FORUM FACE which is what the Gallery is supposed to be.

The webmasters and moderators made a separation between Gallery and Work In Progress sections with a reason.
Posting a picture with a messy background displaying your working desk, which is a 'behind the scenes' situation, makes this A WORK IN PROGRESS PICTURE.

THE GALLERY MUST BE EYE CANDY.
That is a visual thing, not a conceptual one.
The gallery is not for showing other members your painting skills. Not even when you were a Gold Member.
The Gallery is only for the best of the best finished work&pictures.
If some one has no talent or is a beginner, he can still post his work in the Gallery since Benno's Forum is for all modelers, young and old, talented or beginning.

But here, with your additions, there is something very different going on.
For most of us its clear what a gallery picture is like.
But you are one of the few members ignoring that all consequently.

Kekso wrote:it might be just a matter of taste or those photos could be a bit brighter.

What do you think Kekso is doing here?
I think he is doing his work correct, since it must be the duty of every moderator and webmaster to correct mistakes and point members at that. Again. And again. And again.....
So thats what Kekso is trying to do here in a very modest and decent way.
Then you reply like this:
vellek wrote:I've abandoned the camera and used my iPhone.

Well the light becomes better with your phone but the presentation gets only worse.
So what is this, Vellek? Is this ignorance, is this arrogance or is it a complete lack of any sense of esthetics?

davbenbak1 wrote:Some better pics, maybe close ups would show off what looks like a great paint job. But hey, this is a miniatures painting forum not a photography forum so thanks for posting.

No you are wrong davbenbak1. When operating within THE GALLERY photography is as important as modeling is. And this is not a miniatures painting forum. This is a miniatures forum. Painting is just one part of that.
If you are not interested in taking a proper picture, please stay out of the Gallery.

Why do you think Benno again and again and again has been posting TUTORIALS on how to take a proper picture INCLUDING A PROPER BACKGROUND? He did not do that because he had nothing else to do. He did it to help improving the all over quality of the forum, especially the GALLERY. If I were Benno or Remco I would move your pictures right away to the WIP section. But these fellows are not like that, they are modest, nice guys. They use subtle signals to get things done from other members. For some reason you are not picking up any of those signals.

I think that is ignorance and that is RESPECTLESS to the people who gave you all opportunities and information to improve your pictures. It is respectless to the audience of Benno's Forum and to the other members

Figures with UNPAINTED bases are not finished and should not go in the gallery.
Figures with NO PROPER LIGHTING can not be seen properly and should not go in the gallery.
Figures presented without FIGURATIVE or ABSTRACT background should not go in the gallery.
Pictures presented without CROPPING (cutting away) ALL THE EXCESS SPACE AROUND THE FIGURE are a sign of lazyness of the photographer so are littering the Gallery and should be removed.

If you are not willing to spend a little bit of your time to crop your picture and add a simple piece of paper as a background between your figure and your workdesk, why should we want to watch your work?

You bring the all overall quality of Benno's Forum down with this.
Were your pictures in the Work In Progress section, there would be no problem at all. And I would not have written this reply since there you can just show what and how you want it.

I hope I do not keep you from posting your work Vellek.
You are a nice guy and I see a lot of love, quality and devotion to our hobby in what you present us.
Please try to pick up the signals of our moderators.
Thank you.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by vellek on 06 Oct 2016, 16:17

Dear Mr. Cryns-

I'm happy you got all of that off of your chest. Lighten up!

Cheers,
Kurt

Posted by Rosbif on 07 Oct 2016, 00:29

To Mr. Cryns,

I come to Benno's because it has always been a non-judgmental, supportive place for people of all abilities. Helpful hints given by members have always been given in the spirit of friendliness, not proscription.

I think that your attitude spoils that spirit and is detrimental to the fellowship and camaraderie that I have experienced in this forum up til now.

Unless I missed something, you are not a moderator. You are not the guardian of good taste on this forum. In my opinion, your recent posts border on bullying. I suggest you think about the tone your messages from now on, and think about the effect it has on others. I would hate for this forum to go the way of TMP. My advice to you, if you don't like a post, then don't comment.
Rosbif  Australia

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Cryns on 07 Oct 2016, 09:38

vellek wrote: you got all of that off of your chest.

Vellek you are absolutely right in this.
My irritation (not about you in person but about some things in common) is growing and growing over the weeks until I need to express it in some way.
It is clear to me that is my own problem, not yours.
So I have to find a way to deal with it, not you.

Rosbif wrote:your recent posts border on bullying

I am sorry for having insulted you. I tried to make a point about prolifiration in the forum that concerns all of us. I am surprised you saying this comes close to bullying. And I am disappointed in realising most members do not appreciate such critical notes at all.

For me it is very hard to understand why some members show so little interest in the quality of presentation, styling of their work. But again, that seems to be my own problem, not yours.
So I will try to shut up again and keep my critical emotions to myself.
Sorry for sounding as a judge or a schoolteacher. :-D

But do you really disagree with the point I am trying to make concerning the difference between the gallery and the work in progress section?

I hope you don't mind when I mention its almost always the native English speakers amongst us who get upset by my posts. Why is that you think? Does this have a cultural or (more probable) a linguistic reason?
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Paul on 07 Oct 2016, 15:03

Mr. Cryns wrote:

I am sorry for having insulted you. I tried to make a point about prolifiration in the forum that concerns all of us. I am surprised you saying this comes close to bullying. And I am disappointed in realising most members do not appreciate such critical notes at all.

Insulted!? Do you actually think before you write? Imagine if someone had sent that to you? I can´t imagine happy smiles and thankyou´s.

Concerns all of us?? If you could quantify that maybe there would be a case, as you can´t then there is no case and at the Moment only one Person is going on about it..namely, you.
Members do appreciate critical Responses, it´s the manner that they are put that Counts and you have a tendency to go well over the top, the above novellette from you being a prime example.

Mr. Cryns wrote:For me it is very hard to understand why some members show so little interest in the quality of presentation, styling of their work. But again, that seems to be my own problem, not yours.

As I have said elsewhere , it is their choice and None of your concern

Mr. Cryns wrote:I hope you don't mind when I mention its almost always the native English speakers amongst us who get upset by my posts. Why is that you think? Does this have a cultural or (more probable) a linguistic reason?

There are cultural or linguistic reasons but that rarely Plays a part here but funnily with you, it´s more often than not and Sorry, but using language or culture as an excuse for your shortcomings is a poor excuse.

The next time we (the Mods) get yet another complaint about you, yep we have day Jobs as well as dealing with Background stuff here let alone front of Forum, we´ll shorten our workload here by giving you a time out.
Paul  China

Posted by Paul on 07 Oct 2016, 15:05

Rosbif wrote:To Mr. Cryns,

I come to Benno's because it has always been a non-judgmental, supportive place for people of all abilities. Helpful hints given by members have always been given in the spirit of friendliness, not proscription.

I think that your attitude spoils that spirit and is detrimental to the fellowship and camaraderie that I have experienced in this forum up til now.

Unless I missed something, you are not a moderator. You are not the guardian of good taste on this forum. In my opinion, your recent posts border on bullying. I suggest you think about the tone your messages from now on, and think about the effect it has on others. I would hate for this forum to go the way of TMP. My advice to you, if you don't like a post, then don't comment.

I couln´t have put it better :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Keep posting matey and ignore the fluff.
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Paul on 07 Oct 2016, 15:06

Oh, and not liking the post that started the thread or the one quoted to use as "supporting evidence" (From Kekso) but liking Posts that are critical of you is, IMHO, more than a bit wierd :eh:
Paul  China

Posted by sansovino on 07 Oct 2016, 15:43

Dear Paul, please stop your private word-battles with Mr Cryns! You both become silly and childish with your endless counter-speeches which are less and less interesting. A moderator has to moderate and not to fight or to accuse! And Mr Cryns should stop too his sorrow-speeches, what he is missing here. It becomes ridicilous how you both are acting here!

I propose that you both shouldn´t continue your fights for two days in any post of the forum. You can send you PMs if you want to continue it, but please save us from your obviously hurting feelings. And hopefully, shake hands after a break...

PS: And a moderator should be able to a break and to moderate his feelings ...
sansovino  Germany

Return to Gallery