Gallery

17th century Farmhouses

Posted by Paul on 30 Jan 2016, 12:12

With added bits like a haybarrack, cart, fences, vegetable plots, bakers oven.......
All the farmsteads finished and based HERE
Houses copied from the Plimoth Foundation.(the main street can be seen in the opening Scene of the following film Clip)
Paul  China

Posted by ADM on 30 Jan 2016, 14:17

Superb scratchbuild and painting ! :thumbup: :-D
ADM  

Posted by Peter on 30 Jan 2016, 19:57

Wonderfull town Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Gowan on 31 Jan 2016, 03:15

Cool stuff Paul! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Gowan  

Posted by MABO on 31 Jan 2016, 09:26

I can only agree you are the master of building modular settlements during all time periods. But the trailer is also interesting. My wife like stories like that...
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Cryns on 31 Jan 2016, 10:06

Dear Paul,

This is lovely work again. I like especially all the details you added around the houses in the courtyards. The square, straight bases of these buildings make clear it is build for gaming purposes. This, in combination with the crops and objects in the yards, creates a dilemma though, that I am having myself every time when I make buildings: Small objects around houses make the positioning of gaming elements (figures, army units) difficult or just look silly when such elements are placed upon these decorative objects. But no such objects make them look less real like an abstraction of what a village has looked like.
What is your vision and opinion to this dilemma?
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Paul on 31 Jan 2016, 11:04

MABO wrote:I can only agree you are the master of building modular settlements during all time periods. But the trailer is also interesting. My wife like stories like that...

For me this is a definate "must see". Not only is it apparently one of the scariest films but very historically accurate.
Paul  China

Posted by Paul on 31 Jan 2016, 11:09

Mr. Cryns wrote:Dear Paul,

This is lovely work again. I like especially all the details you added around the houses in the courtyards. The square, straight bases of these buildings make clear it is build for gaming purposes. This, in combination with the crops and objects in the yards, creates a dilemma though, that I am having myself every time when I make buildings: Small objects around houses make the positioning of gaming elements (figures, army units) difficult or just look silly when such elements are placed upon these decorative objects. But no such objects make them look less real like an abstraction of what a village has looked like.

Luckily, for me, I don´t game with large regiments and 90% of my collection is singular based so they can "move" around the buildings.
The top buildings are for an Imaginary world where there isn´t much warfare anyway and what there is is very small incidents...The houses in use HERE
Paul  China

Posted by Paul on 31 Jan 2016, 11:14

Mr. Cryns wrote:Dear Paul,

Luckily, for me, I don´t game with large regiments and 90% of my collection is singular based so they can "move" around the buildings.
The top buildings are for an Imaginary world where there isn´t much warfare anyway and what fighting there is are very small incidents...The houses in use HERE

The one Thing that causes me a Problem...when do you stop adding to something? A house has a Yard, next to the Yard another house or a road, a field, next to the field another field, then a forest, a river...when does the area eventually stop? :-)
Example, this dio...beautifull, but it has a border that I can see which Needs (IMHO) more fields attached...and when they are attched..I would still see the edge so more Needs adding...
https://europebetweeneastandwest.wordpr ... e-city-20/
Paul  China

Posted by despertaferro on 31 Jan 2016, 11:38

Hi Paul,

These houses are some of the best examples of scratch building I’ve ever seen!
Absolutely amazing!

Btw, this problem you have with the limits of a diorama display is a basic human existential problem: like, where are the limits of the Universe if they are? What is beyond the more distant galaxies: A never ending emptiness? Is the Universe, as we know, the atomic structure of something bigger? And, if is that so, again, where is the limit? :eh:

Just play God and finish the all thing when you like (or when you’re tired of building and want to start something new…)

:-D :-D :-D
despertaferro  

Posted by Cryns on 02 Feb 2016, 10:36

Thank you so much for sharing your psychological struggles with us!
Since you are building a 17th century North American inspired fantasyland you will never reach and end indeed. I read some of your Bodstonian page (the name is probably a mix of Paul's 'Bods' and early 'Boston') and it is clear the project is focussing on farming, cattle breeding and fishing. So you need a very large room to realize this!

A fascinating article of the historical Lviv town build of lead and copper! Incredible and a sad story as well. But taking this model as an example, you are faced with a problem that should not be there in the first place. The builder of Lviv model choose the TOWN as his subject including the medieval, renaissance and baroque fortifications. This matches exactly with his personal occupation as architect, obsessed with buildings and walls but not with agriculture. For farming and crops he had no interest so that is where his diorama stops: before the crops start. The only serious problem he faced were the monasteries and churches outside of the city walls. These don't fit in his overall idea of 'city' and give the spectator a feeling like: 'Why does it stop here?'. And probably it was exactly this church on the edge of this diorama that made you feel this landscape is not big enough as a total.

I have an advice that might help you: Build your miniature world on a globe or huge bouncing ball with a diameter of about 1 or 2 meters. As soon as your front gardens meet the backyards at the bottom of this globe, you are finished. Magnetic gravity for loose figures attached will be recommended in this case.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by sansovino on 04 Feb 2016, 16:11

It´s a master work. I like all of its wonderful realistic details who allows to imagine how the life was in these rudes times of the first settlers.
sansovino  Germany

Return to Gallery