Gallery

Nappy Cavalry Project - The Parade!

Posted by Marvin on 19 Dec 2015, 00:13

For all those that have kindly been following the Nappy Cavalry Project, here’s the end-of-year "Grand Parade" I promised. In reality it's just a bit of eccentric silliness played out on the dining room table. :oops:

I’ve uploaded the 6-minute video of it to YouTube and embedded it below for your “entertainment”. There is a narrative (of sorts) and I’ve added a soundtrack of Napoleonic-era military tunes, both French and British tunes.

It’s a busy time of the year with Christmas but a week away (and presents still to buy for the family…), so I’ve had to rush this video a little but it’s all been good fun. Some stills of the 'event' are also below:

Some of the troops arriving on the parade ground...

Napoleon sees the Cossacks arrive and panics!

All the regiments gathered together for Napoleon's inspection.

Of course, it was all televised!

The winning regiment announced, Napoleon leads his French cavalry away.

The British cavalry follow in an orderly fashion at first...

...but then predictably give in to hopeless indiscipline and charge wildly after the departing French.

General Lefebvre-Desnouettes of the Chasseurs a Cheval was right to have misgivings, it seems! ;-)
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Dec 2015, 01:23

:cowboy: " Here comes,The Cavalry. Yippee!"

It takes dedication, determination and self discipline along with an ever patient smile, to produce such fine regiments. Brilliant Work Marvin. BB

:read: "I notice some have had a light fall of snow,rather like the dusting on BB`s cake."
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by blucher1815red on 19 Dec 2015, 12:25

Well done Marvin, I have been following your progress with this challenge all year, & the final result is wonderful, the standard of painting is quite superb & this final gathering is the icing on the cake.
blucher1815red  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Dec 2015, 23:26

So Good to see Blucher. Stay around i could certainly use a Friend with Kindred Spirit for 1815. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Zed1 on 20 Dec 2015, 11:00

That's a lot of cavalry. My regards - I really envy you people who paint loads of horseback figures in order to set up huge armies. Personally, I don't like to paint cavalry that much because I find these figures much more time-consuming then infantry.

I'm looking forward for what will come in 2016.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 20 Dec 2015, 12:53

I'm speechless. Television is nice and funny addition ;)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Marvin on 20 Dec 2015, 17:58

Kekso wrote:I'm speechless. Television is nice and funny addition ;)

Found in my old Subbuteo football collection! :-D
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by vellek on 21 Dec 2015, 23:24

Great post. I wonder...in 2016 will Robert E. Lee review his men of the Army of Northern Virginia? Or Trajan hold an inspection of his legions? Can't wait to see!
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Marvin on 22 Dec 2015, 19:56

vellek wrote:Great post. I wonder...in 2016 will Robert E. Lee review his men of the Army of Northern Virginia? Or Trajan hold an inspection of his legions? Can't wait to see!

The pressure's on! :shock: ;-)
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 22 Dec 2015, 21:34

Fantastic! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by k.b. on 24 Dec 2015, 15:32

Absolutely spiffing show of strength Marvin! I have my own paricular favourite regiment! Do you have a favourite of your own and if so which regiment did you enjoy painting the most?
Without going back through them all I think there were 2 regiments that you didn't paint ...... if my memory serves me rightly! Russian Kuirassiers and their Saxon counterparts! Please correct me if I'm wrong!?! Apart from these figures I think you painted every other box of Napoleonic cavalry worth painting (at least in my opinion)!
Bravo bravo your determination is surely an inspiration to all!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Marvin on 24 Dec 2015, 19:31

k.b. wrote:Absolutely spiffing show of strength Marvin! I have my own paricular favourite regiment! Do you have a favourite of your own and if so which regiment did you enjoy painting the most?

My favourite regiment? Tough one - but I think I'm happiest with the way the Red Lancers turned out Zvezda, but the Waterloo 1815 Leib Hussars were the most rewarding to paint, I think. Lovely sculpted figures and they gave me confidence to do more cavalry.

k.b. wrote:Without going back through them all I think there were 2 regiments that you didn't paint ...... if my memory serves me rightly! Russian Kuirassiers and their Saxon counterparts! Please correct me if I'm wrong!?! Apart from these figures I think you painted every other box of Napoleonic cavalry worth painting (at least in my opinion)!

Yes, I'd agree! I do have a box of the Russian Cuirassiers but just ran out of time to do them. I might also add to the list Zvezda's Russian Hussars as well. And Waterloo 1815 also have some decent looking French Lancers released...

Thanks for your support and advice as always. :thumbup: :-D
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 29 Dec 2015, 22:46

I will always follow your fantastic work, Marvin. I am really waiting for new stuff in the new year. The film is really a nice kind of presentation!!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Susofrick on 30 Dec 2015, 08:42

Yip yip yip! :horse: The parade! Very nicely done! Great to see! And very nice video!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 08 Jan 2016, 16:05

I am back to Lome' after almost two relaxing internet-free weeks in Italy, and I am absolutely happy for this Xmas gift. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
An amazing massive stampede! :thumbup: Finally!
Fantastically based! :yeah:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidociously painted! :drool:
I am going to buy a good bottle and toast to it! :mrgreen:
A great job, Marvin.
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Marvin on 09 Jan 2016, 19:51

Mr. Andrea wrote:I am back to Lome' after almost two relaxing internet-free weeks in Italy, and I am absolutely happy for this Xmas gift. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
An amazing massive stampede! :thumbup: Finally!
Fantastically based! :yeah:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidociously painted! :drool:
I am going to buy a good bottle and toast to it! :mrgreen:
A great job, Marvin.

Thank you Mr. Andrea! And thanks for all your wonderful support throughout the project! :yeah:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by KenzoSato on 20 Jan 2016, 21:45

Good, very good
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by Eugenij on 21 Jan 2016, 11:09

Terrific cavalry! I have no words... Stunningly!

I would say one remark only.. Russian lifeguard cossacks wear summer dress, but bases are covered by snow.
Eugenij  Russia

Posted by Marvin on 21 Jan 2016, 19:45

Eugenij wrote:Terrific cavalry! I have no words... Stunningly!

I would say one remark only.. Russian lifeguard cossacks wear summer dress, but bases are covered by snow.

Ah, I never thought of that Eygenij! :oops: It needed a Russian to spot that! ...Or maybe they were caught out by a "summer" snowfall?! :-D ;-)

Thanks for your praise, glad you like them. :yeah:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 22 Jan 2016, 10:09

Eugenij wrote:Terrific cavalry! I have no words... Stunningly!

Must be early spring! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Next page

Return to Gallery