Gallery

Grossdeutschland (and their Soviet opponents) Summer 1942

Posted by Bill Slavin on 18 Jul 2022, 13:58

Very nice, clean painting and model building! Personally I like seeing vehicles a bit more scruffed up, but your work is beautifully done. And I appreciate the background information you provide as well. Thanks for sharing these.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by MikeRC97 on 23 Nov 2022, 19:56

Continuing with Summer 1943, here are the latest additions to my German force - SdKfz 251 armored personnel carriers.

Prior to 1943, the Grossdeutschland infantry regiments did not have any armored personnel carriers (the Grossdeutschland photo history shows a few SdKfz 251s in 1942 but the vehicle markings indicate that they belonged to the Division HQ). In June 1943 Infantry Division (mot.) Grossdeutschland was re-designated Panzergrenadier Division Grossdeutschland and the first battalion of the first regiment was re-equipped with schuetzenpanzerwagens.

The SdKfz 251s are for a Battlegroup Kursk armored panzer grenadier platoon. Below is the platoon command squad with a SdKfz 251/10 transport. This variant was equipped with a 3.7 cm PaK36 to provide support fire for the platoon.

Here are the three panzer grenadier squads / MG teams with their transports. The armored personnel carriers are the SdKfz 251 model C kit by Dragon.

First squad / MG team.

Second squad / MG team.

Third squad / MG team.

I painted a fourth SdKfz 251/1 which will be used as a tow for the Pak40 in my previous post (a platoon support option) or as a transport for an armored assault pioneer squad as seen below.

The final addition for now is a SdKfz 251/2 mortar carrier which is a platoon support option for the armored panzer grenadier platoon.

The Dragon model has interior details which aren't really visible when the model is fully assembled but which I painted anyway.

The Dragon kit includes decals with the Grossdeutschland divisional insignia and panzer grenadier tactical symbols. Also included in the kit are individual number decals for making license plates. When I attempted to create the 7-digit license plate on one of the models it was a nightmare trying to get the numbers to line up correctly, the tiny waterslide decals just slid around all over the place. As each vehicle requires a license plate for the front and the back, I decided to just leave them off and spare myself the aggravation.

When weathering these models I applied dried mud using pigments and mud splashes using a loaded paintbrush to flick mud on to the hull of the vehicles. In the opening days of the Kursk offensive there were thunderstorms that created muddy terrain in some parts of the battlefield.

Based on replies to my previous post I decided to go back and add some mud and dirt to the Kübelwagens in that post. I always appreciate any feedback/comments posted on my threads, there's always room for improvement.

Now that I have my panzergrenadiers, I just need some panzers for 1943. Those are coming but first I have some work to do on my Soviet infantry for Battlegroup Kursk.
MikeRC97  

Posted by Peter on 25 Nov 2022, 22:32

Great work Mike! You have been busy again! :-D :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous page

Return to Gallery