Gallery

Grossdeutschland (and their Soviet opponents) Summer 1942

Posted by MikeRC97 on 23 Nov 2017, 13:55

Thanks Peter! It appears that yesterday the Photobucket links were working again - I'm could see my old pics on other threads I have here as well as on other sites. But today they're broken again. At least with the PB links fixed on the old posts those pics are now showing again so thank you for fixing those.

So if I wanted to change the links in the old post to the new pics I have on imgur can I send you a PM with the image urls in the exact order they should go? I realize that is a lot of work for you but I would like to improve the quality of the old posts with new pics.
MikeRC97  

Posted by Peter on 23 Nov 2017, 18:23

PM send! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MikeRC97 on 30 Sep 2018, 16:16

Hard to believe it has been almost a year since my last update but I’m finally back with some new models in the form of a Rapid Fire company of Panzer IVs.

In Spring of 1942 the newly formed Grossdeutschland motorized infantry division received a tank battalion with three companies. The first company was made up of Panzer IVs while the second and third companies had Panzer IIIs. In the first company, the tanks of the first and second platoons were the new long barreled Panzer IV F2, while the third platoon fielded the short barreled Panzer IV F1

These models are the original Dragon Panzer IV F2 (kit 7359) and F1 (kit 7321) and they are fantastic. In the past year Dragon released new Panzer IV models in 1/72 but those models are simplified fast build kits (at full Dragon prices of course). I picked up these older kits years ago before they became impossible to find and I’m glad I did - these models have tons of detail but are not tedious to assemble.

The reason it took me so long to paint these tanks has to do with the color scheme. In some of the older posts in this thread I explained (in a lot of detail) my struggle to airbrush the two tone soft edge camouflage scheme of the Grossdeutschland tanks in Russia in summer of 1942. After many attempts, I finally got to the point where I felt good about the results I was getting with my airbrush, but I didn’t really like the color scheme. In the end I decided to paint the models in Panzer grey and I’m happy with the way they turned out

I used aftermarket decals made by Echelon Fine Details specifically for the unique markings used by first company of the Grossdeutschland tank battalion. Instead of the usual German three digit vehicle markings, the GD first company used vertical bars to signify platoon number and a single digit for tank number within the platoon.

I went light on the weathering, particularly the chipping. When the division made its combat debut in summer of 1942 during operation “Case Blue” the tank battalion was a newly formed unit - most of the tanks were the latest model Panzer IIIs and Panzer IVs fresh from the assembly line.

There was one issue with these kits – the DS tracks. I prefer one piece tracks to link and length and the Dragon styrene tracks are really excellent both in terms of detail and assembly (they can be glued with plastic cement). On one end of the tracks there is a small tab that lacks details – unfortunately the tracks are so short that the tab is visible where the tracks meet, creating a gap. I placed the join on the top of the return rollers just beneath the fenders so the gap isn’t that visible. The tracks and road wheels are suitably dirty but not caked in mud; the photo history shows a hot dry summer in Southern Russia in 1942

That’s all for now, any comments or feedback are appreciated.
MikeRC97  

Posted by Wiking on 30 Sep 2018, 16:51

The numbering system is for sure unusual.

I agree fully with you the actual Dragon output is on the lower end.
And on top:
MikeRC97 wrot:
... models are simplified fast build kits (at full Dragon prices of course).

:eh:

Look very nice done and paint, the grey steel wall.
Nice that you paint for contrast the wooden parts not in grey too.
And real handles on the turret roof! Not like the very often seen mold on things.
Wiking  Germany

Previous page

Return to Gallery