Gallery

Zvezda Napoleonic mini sets

Posted by Kekso on 18 Jul 2015, 15:15

This is the topic where I will post painted Zvezda Napoleonic mini sets. I'm starting with Russian Line Infantry:

First of all, these figures are exquisite in details but somehow I find they're lacking of "soul". They'are suitable for collectors and wargamers but I can't see them on diorama or vignette.

Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Emperor on 18 Jul 2015, 15:45

Great painted... Their poses are little static, but they look fine... Where did you got the tall grass...
Emperor  

Posted by Kekso on 18 Jul 2015, 16:25

Thanks... Grass is from Noch
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by k.b. on 19 Jul 2015, 02:10

I fully understand what you mean about the figures lacking 'soul' but to be fair i think we, the painters, have to bring these figures 'to life' with our paintbrushes.

Your painting is very precise but i think with just a bit more work on each figure then the soul you wish them to have will appear.

Firstly i would vary the colour of the moustaches a little, various browns but also blond will add variety and individuality to each figure. You also need to add a mid tone if not a highlight to their groucho marx looking moustaches.

Afterwhich, if you were to run a very thin black wash over the trousers it will add depth by running into the creases/folds and the sculptors beautiful sculpture ends up helping you to breath increasingly more life into your soldiers.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Kekso on 19 Jul 2015, 07:19

Hi k.b. First of all, thank you for your comments.

k.b. wrote: Firstly i would vary the color of the mustaches a little... You also need to add a mid tone if not a highlight

You have some point with that. Well, if there are more than 6 figures I would certainly reconsider this. But also I'm a bit lazy person so I wouldn't bother with minor detail like that. Especially highlights on mustaches... I wouldn't do them in this scale for sure ;-)

k.b. wrote: if you were to run a very thin black wash

This is a problem of my photography not my painting style. This is basically how I paint my figures http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16004. So, I did it with Russians as well. That means I used wash and I painted highlights but than can't be seen due to my poor photo skills. Creases are nicely visible in real life.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MikeRC97 on 20 Jul 2015, 14:01

Great painting Kesko.

I completely agree with your assesment of this set, they are very lifeless. To me they look like they are on the parade ground not in battle. I have this set and the older Grenadiers big box and I much prefer the latter.

I am hoping Hat eventually converts their 1/32 Russian line infantry to 1/72.
MikeRC97  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Emperor on 20 Jul 2015, 17:28

@K.B details get lost in big scenes...I for example like big scenes with dynamic and so... Also Shepard Paine wrote that you need to paint only such amount of details that are visible from distance of 12' to naked eye... He said that figures don't need to be painted up to every detail, only those details that are visible from that distance...I will find what he wrote exactly...
Emperor  

Posted by vellek on 20 Jul 2015, 21:13

Bravo Dalibor! These are exquisitely painted but I don't think any amount of detail will change their ramrod-straight backs and locked knees. Agreed that they lack a certain something that their brethren in the big box have plenty of.

Well done on the groundwork, too.
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Jul 2015, 12:22

Forget about detail. What is missing is the other 35 figures that used to be in a boxed set from Zvezda. I call these Zvezda Suicide Sets, Because like myself ,others interested in building up entire armies will not buy them. So this Company has lost lots of world wide trade.

Dalibor , as far as I am concerned, full marks for the painting. I could never match such a standard. Also the way you use your camera is Real Cool. Always good to view your work. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 21 Jul 2015, 12:40

Beano Boy wrote: I call these Zvezda Suicide Sets

This is so funny but so true at the same time :-D
Thanks Paul ;-)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by ADM on 21 Jul 2015, 13:20

Superb work !
I stockpiled quite a lot of them, awaiting to be painted, the details are great !
ADM  

Posted by davbenbak1 on 21 Jul 2015, 16:54

You did a great job of bringing out the detail on these models. I am currently working on the Zvezda French Dragoon Command set and find that the detail, while present, is very shallow. This makes it hard to follow with a brush and not much for highlights and washes to "grab on to". I am almost tempted to score them a little deeper with a hobby knife but am not in the mood to go to that much trouble.

As far as "having no soul", they definitely have the feel of a game piece (like from a board game like Risk) or toy. I found that the assembly was pretty basic especially when compared to other Zvezda kits like the Macedonian Phalanx.

Again, you did a great job with these. My thought was to use the command groups to supplement box sets increasing the numbers of units per box since they usually only contain one command pose each.
davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Emperor on 22 Jul 2015, 15:26

Great figs...
Emperor  

Posted by panzerman on 22 Jul 2015, 15:34

Great paint job on these Nappys. The detail painting is very well done...especially on the straps and soldier's kit.
Bill.
panzerman  United States of America

Posted by Bramble15 on 22 Jul 2015, 23:57

I am not one to worry too much about the accuracy or pose quality all that much so I cannot comment. What I do like is well painted figures and you have hit that one! Your white is very well done. In my opinion.
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 13 Aug 2015, 12:53

You did a great job on these Dali! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Gallery