Gallery

Die Schlacht von Ligny 16th Juni 1815

Posted by C M Dodson on 01 Sep 2016, 17:29

Die Schlacht von Ligny 16th Juni 1815

Timeline 5PM

Prussian 5th Brigade, Generalmajor Ernst Ludwig von Tippelskirch, advances from Wagnelee to attack the French flank at St. Amand La Haie.

The French form En Potence to receive the threat, whilst their cavalry of 3rd Division, Lieutenant-general Baron Jean-Simeon Domon engage the Prussian cavalry of Oberstlieutentant von Sohr.

Cuirassiers of 13th French cavalry Division, Lieutenant-general Wathier, Comte de Saint-Alphonse rush to reinforce their comrades.

The French have captured the majority of St. Amand but fierce Prussian counter attacks are in progress.

Much of the village of Ligny is ablaze including the church. The French are advancing towards Ligny common despite fierce resistance.

The French are storming the Ferme den Haut, the last bastion to the village entrance. Its capture will allow reinforcements to advance unmolested.

Generalmajor Georg Dubislav von Pirch 1 views the situation at Ligny with apprehension.

Reserves are summoned from 111 Corps, Generallieutenant Johan Adolf, Freiherr von Thielman as orders are given to the last reserve present, 7th Brigade, Generamajor Freidrich August von Brause, to advance on Ligny.

Fur Gott und Vaterland, Vorwarts!
Last edited by Paul on 10 Aug 2017, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic links fixed
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 01 Sep 2016, 18:40

Again some fantastic pictures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by thomaspicton on 01 Sep 2016, 21:27

Absolutely fantastic - your powers of composition are outstanding!
thomaspicton  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 02 Sep 2016, 06:45

I really love pictures like this! And that creek is very nice! Is it this nice on close-ups too?
Last edited by Paul on 10 Aug 2017, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic link fixed
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 02 Sep 2016, 09:33

I got used to high standard in this topic but this detail is awesome:

Last edited by Paul on 10 Aug 2017, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Sep 2016, 12:32

Thank you for your kind comments, they are much appreciated.

I hope that by zooming in, the Ligny stream is ok. It will feature heavily in the near future if the combat goes the way I think it will.

The 'Saving private Schmidt' idea came from the film Barry Lyndon, so my thanks to Mr Kubrick and Ryan O'Neill. I built the set so that the camera angle was preordained. The floor at the rear of the shot was then treated with barbecue fuel, lighted and smoke blown over it while I clicked away.

The wife, Der Feldmarschall was not impressed when the fire became a little too involved in the action but our garage is still intact!

Thank you again.

Chris

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Cryns on 07 Sep 2016, 10:15

I am pleased to see you are still improving your skills of modeling and photography.
The use of micro fibre long green grass is an improvement compared to the thick, heavy dry grass you used in the past. Real cinematographic indeed is the shot inside the house. A very clever use of light&smoke together in combination with a pre-planned camera position.

Being a critic that loves to support you in developing your work to a higher standard again, I would suggest you have to pay your attention again to the figures.
Not all of them of course, the bulk will be in the background.
But since you started to make pre-planned pictures, you will be able to know more or less which figures will be in the front, the foreground of the close up shots.
I am convinced you will make a huge leap when only these front figures will be painted over or at least treated with inkwash, drybrush and hopefully some black or (where it concerns white upon white) grey lining. Lets say: it will be one hundred figures painted in a much more detailed and lively way that will end up right close in front of your camera in the near future, suddenly you will have the most impressive and realistic Napoleonic battlepics ever.

Just consider this. I will watch in joy anyhow if you stick to your old, basic painting style.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by C M Dodson on 07 Nov 2016, 10:58

Die Schlacht Von Ligny 16th Juni 1815

Timeline 5.30PM

An overview of the field from le Hameau St. Amand looking towards St. Amand La Haie .St. Amand is on the right with Ligny in the middle distance. Mont Potriaux church is in the far distance on the left.

The Prussian Prussian 5th Brigade, Generalmajor Ernst Ludwig von Tippelskirch is engaging the French in an attempt to retake St. Amand La Haie and envelop the French rear in this sector.

Prussian scouts observe the French 1st Corps, Jean Baptiste Drouet, Comte d’Erlon advancing from the direction of Quatre Bras. The French have also been alerted but are unsure of the nationality of this unit at the present. The result is that no French reserves can be deployed for a minimum of 3 moves to reflect this uncertainty.

The Prussians have been forced back across the Ligny brook at St. Amand and as a result Marshall Blucher has ordered an immediate counter attack by 6th Brigade, Generalmajor Karl August von Kraft.

The fighting in Ligny intensifies even further with vicious street fighting amongst the many now burning buildings.

The Prussian 7th Brigade, Generamajor Freidrich August von Brause, have begun to march through Mont Potriaux in order to reinforce the line at Ligny.

Generallieutenant Johan Adolf, Freiherr von Thielman has ordered cavalry from the Prussian 2nd Brigade, Oberst von Wylich und Lottum to engage the French across the bridge at in order to relieve the French pressure on Ligny.

Dragoons from the French 6th Cavalry Division, Lieutenant-general Baron Antoine Maurin engage them immediately.

Angriff, angriff, Geganangriff is Feldmarschall’s Blucher’s cry to his troops.

However the reserves are committed and the door to Ligny is beginning to open.
Last edited by Paul on 10 Aug 2017, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by thomaspicton on 07 Nov 2016, 19:38

More fabulous work from the master of composition. Great stuff!
thomaspicton  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 08 Nov 2016, 08:46

If this doesn't look like photo taken from real life then I don't know what to say :shock:
Last edited by Paul on 10 Aug 2017, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Nov 2016, 08:49

As usual I agree with Dali! Why not? He pays me lots of money!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Cryns on 08 Nov 2016, 11:12

Mr. Dodson my compliments to your impressive work again.
I agree fully with Thomas Picton and Kekso.
Master of composition that is you.
One picture after another is stunning.
Most remarkable action scene is the Landwehr retreating and crossing the Ligny taking their wounded comrades with them. Another coming to their aid, reaching out his hand. That is very dramatic.
Gruesome is the limber hit by French grenade tearing apart both horse and man. Its terrible but its the true face of war. I am deeply impressed by this. It is interesting to realize we are used to see this kind of gruesome scenes in movies but not in modeling.
The burning house with Prussian fuseliers jumping from the windows is another top notch picture. Is that jumping man a converted Matchbox German Panzergrenadier that came with the armored halftrackmodel?
Your cavalry melee between French Chasseurs a Cheval and Prussian Hussars (?) makes me realize such engagement was not just a wild dash but ended up in a clumsy bunch of men trying to duel while the horses are not doing exactly what they want them to.
Finally my compliments to your work on the forest ground and all of your groundwork in general.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Das_Dirch on 08 Nov 2016, 11:29

WOW.

I could here the guns fire and smell the gunpowder Very realistic. :yeah:
Das_Dirch  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 10 Nov 2016, 09:15

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments which are very much appreciated.

Mr Crynns has sharp eyes indeed. The gentleman leaping from the window was indeed once a Marchbox panzer grenadier and after some converting, now a Prussian musketeer. Indeed all the troops in the burning house scene were converted from Airfix WW1 troops with the exception of the Landwehr chap who was part of a gift from my friend Thomas Mischak.

My project is a huge learning curve both in modelling, historical research and photography but there is always more to learn. Members feedback and informative suggestions provide the stimulus to do so.

Thank you.

Chris

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Nov 2016, 05:41

What an Epic Spectacle! Better than watching T V . BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 15 Nov 2016, 11:00

Wonderfull work and full of action! I keep on watching to these pictures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by KenzoSato on 23 Nov 2016, 21:51

Wow, great dio
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by C M Dodson on 14 Dec 2016, 17:51

Die Schlacht Von Ligny 16th Juni 1815

Timeline 6.00 PM

An overview of the field looking towards Brye. St. Amand La Haie is on the left with St. Amand on the right. Ligny with many buildings burning is in the middle distance. Mont Potriaux church is in the far distance in the centre.

The view from St. Amand towards the Ferme du Moulin showing the French advance from St. Amand la Haie towards Brye. Lieutenant-general Dominique-Rene, Comte Vandamme General officer commanding 111 Corps directs operations.

The cavalry battle at Wagnelee has escalated with the cavalry of 3rd Division, Lieutenant-general Baron Jean-Simeon Domon and Cuirassiers of 13th French cavalry Division, Lieutenant-general Wathier, Comte de Saint-Alphonse engaging the Prussian cavalry. Prussian 2nd Brigade, Oberstlieutentant von Sohr and 1st Brigade, Oberst von Thumen are fully committed.

6th Brigade, Generalmajor Karl August von Kraft assaults St. Amand with a fierce attack around the church and brook.

Lieutenant-general Maurice-Etienne, Comte Gerard observes 1V corps assault on Ligny with increasing satisfaction.

French infantry have captured much of the southern sector of the village and are pressing home their attack towards the Ligne brook.

1st Brigade, Colonel Baume from 14th Infantry Division, Marchel-de-la camp Baron Etinne Hulot are attempting to outflank Ligny near the stone bridge and mill.

The mysterious coloum has been identified by the French as 1st Corps, General officer commanding Jean Baptiste Drout, Comte d’Erlon. Orders have been issued to envelope the Prussians at Wagnellee and crush their flank.

La victoire est a nous!
Last edited by Paul on 10 Aug 2017, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by Thomas Mischak on 15 Dec 2016, 07:51

Hi Chris,

thank you for the new pictures.

Very good work !!!

My favorite - the fight between French and Prussians for the bridge...

Greetings
Thomas
Thomas Mischak  Germany

Posted by DickerThomas on 16 Dec 2016, 08:37

Fantastic work !!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
DickerThomas  Germany

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery