Gallery

Die Schlacht von Ligny 16th Juni 1815

Posted by Cryns on 25 Feb 2016, 10:43

Dear Chris,

I am very happy with your reply on my somewhat sturdy, harsh comments.
In fact last night I woke up with a shameful feeling for criticizing one of the most impressive projects on this forum which is yours. I like to apologize for this. I am glad to read you take my comments serious and not as bare critics.

Indeed I have seen buildings in your pictures looking familiar to me, I recognize them from books including paintings and gravures of this battle. So your goal is high and you did almost everything to reach it and get the best out of it. Driving around Ligny and looking for old buildings is the real spirit! I whish I had done that when ten years ago I build my houses for Quatre Bras. I only used internet. And now, ten years later, lots of new pictures are available and I realise my Ferme de Gemioncourt and other buildings are far from correct.

Using the expression 'another universe' was probably not the right choice of words. In fact all of your houses are a serious approach to what those Belgian houses have looked like in 1815. What I wanted to express was the strange proportions and sizes.

My fellow gamer mr. Bos always says: in the ratio of a game, one ore two houses are as large as a whole village, since a battalion of 16 men has ratio between 1:50 or 1:100 too.
I always want to build complete villages for our games, each of the houses real proportional size. But then we need massive armies to invade them. Which we have, including battalions of 50 men but that is still ratio 1:10. But with large armies (you painted 6000? That is astonishing, especially if they are all painted like the ones I have seen!) the one- or two day games do not come to an end. And my villages become so extensive, they grow together into one huge suburb and there is almost no open fields left in between the villages.

It is a problem all of us are facing and we can not solve.
Or maybe we just want to much in one single project, game or diorama?

The only one solving it is our member Wolfgang with the Crobern diorama, but he is part of a team and he is not a gamer.

Time to have a look at the Waterloo project you talk about.

Kindest regards from Mr. Cryns.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Thomas Mischak on 25 Feb 2016, 11:37

Hello Mr. Cryns,

can you show us the old pictures of "Quatre Bras".

I don´t have seen a diorama about the battle of "Quatre Bras" -
only small dioramas with Lancers and Scots.

Thank you
Thomas
Thomas Mischak  Germany

Posted by Cryns on 25 Feb 2016, 18:00

Mr. Mischak,

Great to hear from you, since you were my inspirator for many years.
The subject you are asking for is not a diorama.
It is a WRG game photo series depicting a multiple days Quatre Bras battle from 2005 with huge armies of 3 different Dutch painters so not too much cohesion in styling. But landscape and buildings were payed some extra attention to. If you are curious I can post some of them in the gaming section since this is Mr. Dodsons topic (and another battle)

Just let me know if you are stil interested.

Regards from mr. Cryns
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Thomas Mischak on 26 Feb 2016, 11:19

Dear Mr. Cryns,

thank you for your friendly words.
Please - post the pictures of "Quatre Bras"...

Bye
Thomas
Thomas Mischak  Germany

Posted by Emperor on 26 Feb 2016, 16:40

@CM DODSON-I have an impression this diorama is huge...How exactly it is big...Can you give post please some photos of whole diorama...Reason I ask because it is really good diorama it has panoramic view and I want to build something similar some day...
Emperor  

Posted by C M Dodson on 26 Feb 2016, 18:17

Hello Emperor and thank you for your question. The sand table is approximately 4.5 metres by 2.3 metres with an extra area of 0.6 by 0.8 metres to represent the Wagnelee approaches.

This allows the primary fighting area to be represented up to Mount Pontriaux. I wanted to include Tongrenelle and Boignee but this was impractical. As these areas were primarily skirmished over in the real event I did not consider this to be a major problem.

The table has three 'pop ups' which allow access to the far side as this by necessity is against the garage wall. The wall has 'lugs' which allows sections to slide allowing access. This means lots of crawling about under the table!

It is difficult to photograph the whole area with my camera, however I will try to get some panoramic shots as I was quite pleased with the view from Mount Pontriaux church photograph.

The fighting is currently at 4.10pm and I intend to conduct a few more moves before submitting new photos as I do not want them to look too similar.

Thank you again.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Emperor on 26 Feb 2016, 19:33

I have a big attic at my home, planning to renovate it and use it as hobby room...So I can make diorama similar to yours...
Emperor  

Posted by C M Dodson on 19 Apr 2016, 15:43

Timeline 4.20PM

General overview of the action.

St. Amand in the foreground. St. Amand La Haie to the left. Ligny in the centre with Mount Potriaux just visible at the far left corner and Tongrinne church at the right hand far corner.

6th Brigade Generalmajor Karl August von Kraft, takes up position at Brye in order to support the defence of Ligny.

The reserve artillery of 1st Korps positioned behind St, Amand begin to take casualties from the French artillery of the Guard.

Fighting continues for the possession of the church in St. Amand.

Westphalian Landwher reinforcements move to support St. Amand

Feldmarschall Gebhard Lebrecht, Furst Blucher von Wahlstadt leads his ‘kinder’ to support St. Amand.

French troops from 12th Infantry Division, Lieutenant-General Baron Marc-Nicholas Pecheux, fight their way towards Ligny church

1st Division De La Jeune Garde, Lieutenant-general Pierre, Comte Barrois advances towards Ligny following the capture of the Chateau De Looz.

5th Prussian Brigade, Generalmajor Ernst Ludwig von Tippleskirch, supported by 2nd Cavalry Brigade, Oberstlieutenant von Sohr, advances from Wagnelee in order to outflank the French left.

Immer vorwats!
Last edited by Paul on 10 Aug 2017, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic links fixed

Posted by Peter on 19 Apr 2016, 16:38

Looks good as always! I hope you can make a lot more episodes! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Wolfgang Meyer on 19 Apr 2016, 17:02

Dear Chris,

wonderfull new pictures!!!

Best regards,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Meyer  Germany

Posted by Cryns on 20 Apr 2016, 09:48

Dear Mr. Dodson,

I was already wondering when the next 'Dodson' was being posted and I am truely impressed by your new work. The first overview picture in particular. It looks bigger than before. So many villages in one shot, and knowing you had no help from a team of assistant modelers.

Did you construct some new buildings? I see a barn and a house I did not notice before.
Some things impress me in particular: you payed very much attention to the painted background which is covering all of your table edge in picture one. Also you become very skillfull in adding smoke/mist to your scenes. It looks like analogue smoke, not digital. But by creating smoke you must be very fast taking a picture.

Also you have a very good touch of dynamic, dramatic and very cruel scenes. I don't remember where but somewhere in this forum you explained us all about your use of Airfix American WWI figures for action- and wounded Napoleonics. I can see your point in this since these old Airfix figures were sculpted very lively and thin so are less difficult to redress yourself.
Both your indoor and outdoor fightings show some of these conversions. I can not tell what is the origin of these figures. But in their sobriety (I hope this is the right word) they are strikingly dramatic and hardly ever seen before by me. Also the damage to the howitzer wheel is a good detail.

Regards from mr. Cryns
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by C M Dodson on 22 Apr 2016, 07:55

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments, they are much appreciated.

In answer to Mr Cryns the Wagnelee buildings are not new as they are part of the battlefield extension representing that area, which until now has not seen any action.

I have posted a tutorial in the modelling section on sky lines and the production of ( now non hazardous) smoke which I hope may be of use to fellow modellers.

Thank you again.

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 02 Jun 2016, 18:51

Timeline 4.40PM

General overview of the action.

The view over Ligny village looking North East towards Wagnelee. 12th Infantry Division, Lieutenant- general Baron Marc-Nicholas Pecheux is fighting it’s way towards Ligny church, although the Ferme Den Haut is still in Prussian hands.

The view from St. Amand church tower towards St. Amand La Haie. 7th Division Lieutenant-general Baron Jean-Baptiste Girard commanding has captured St. Amand La Haie but is engaged in fierce fighting as the Prussians 2nd Brigade, Generalmajor Otto Karl von Pirch 11 counter attack.

Prussian counter attack at the Ferme La Motte.

Musketry duel at the Ferme La Motte

1st Brigade 10th Division, Marechal-de-camp-Gengoult commanding, commences it’s march towards Wagnellee to protect the flank of 7th Division Lieutenant-general Baron Jean-Baptiste Girard

French artillery continue the bombardment of St. Amand.

Evant mes braves
Last edited by Paul on 10 Aug 2017, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic links fixed

Posted by Peter on 02 Jun 2016, 19:47

Great new episode of th ebattle Chris! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 15 Jul 2016, 12:59

The action is intensifying as 5.00PM approaches, but, as an complimentary shot to the 'Butchers bill' picture posted earlier I have attached the view outside the Ferme Moulin at Brye.

Last edited by Paul on 10 Aug 2017, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic link fixed

Posted by thomaspicton on 15 Jul 2016, 21:15

Dear Chris, More amazing stuff! how do you get that blue sky background?
thomaspicton  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 15 Jul 2016, 21:23

Hello and thank you for your kind comment.

If you visit the modelling section of the forum you will find my posting on how to effect skylines which I trust that you will find useful.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by renikart on 15 Jul 2016, 21:43

Impressive! What a wonderful diorama. I especially like the overview pics of Ligny. It does the scale justice.
renikart  Netherlands

Posted by thomaspicton on 16 Jul 2016, 06:20

That simple - thank you!
thomaspicton  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Jul 2016, 10:52

Wonderful work,and very impressive too. Yes indeed.

On the subject of cruising around looking at buildings this i cannot do,
but i use Google Maps and gather info on buildings and such that way and it helps with scratch-building projects.
It`s a great tool to use and one get to save petrol money too. i highly recommend using it.
So let your typing finger do the work. I often cruise N Y City for free!

Well done on all the special smoke effects,and everything else. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery