Gallery

British North African selection

Posted by Fire at Will on 26 Mar 2014, 17:37

These seem to have been on my workbench for ages, as I've been doing a lot of decorating. Now at last they are finished.

Firstly the long awaited Portees, a cross-kitting of the Matchbox LRDG Chevrolet with the Zvezda 2pdr. It took a while to work how the gun was configured on the truck. It's actually reversed and sticks out beyond the end of the vehicle

Then a trio of Matildas, one previously owned and two new builds, I decided to be adventurous and paint them in Caunter. What fun working out the pattern and then which colours to use! In the end I opted for my Standard Humbrol Light Stone with washes of Vallejo Green Grey (for the Silver Grey)and German Field Grey (for the Slate) In the background is a Oxford Diecast Daimler Dingo almost OOB except I have dry brushed it to tone down the colours.

Finally a pair of Priests, unusually these are marked up for 1st Armoured division instead of my usual 7th as they operated them at El Alamein. I still need to find for suitable crew for these

Still in progress are the Daimler and a couple of deployed 2pdrs
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 26 Mar 2014, 19:56

Excellent work on this vehicles Will! :thumbup:

For the Priest crew, you could use the crew from this set:

http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idPro ... tegoria=25
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Fire at Will on 26 Mar 2014, 22:14

Peter wrote:Excellent work on this vehicles Will! :thumbup:

For the Priest crew, you could use the crew from this set:

http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idPro ... tegoria=25

peter, yes, I've got one set, but I'm not sure yet if I'll convert them into a German crew for a captured 25pdr

Posted by Peter on 26 Mar 2014, 22:32

Will,

first a question. I thought the Priest were used in Italy and not in the desert. I have one lying around here, waiting to be assembled and painted. It's the Matchbox one and it is delivered with an American crew. Also the decals are for Americans. Are you sure these were used by the 8th Army?

Now about the crew, it was the only suiteble crew that could be found in my opinion. But you talk about conversions. Maybe some tank riders from Hat?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Mar 2014, 00:11

Concerning the use of Priests at El Alamein,l think the last of Monty`s secret`s is well out of the bag! Probebly well hushed up and highly secret for its day .......................and long since forgotten until now.I like all the models portrayed here especially the Matildas a fine good looking Tank. Nice painting too.
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by snagy on 27 Mar 2014, 04:58

Nice paintwork and weathering.
I myself found it particularly difficult to represent the desert dust and sand on the vehicles.
Good work!
Some closer photos would be an additional value of the post.
With friendly regards:
sandor
snagy  Hungary

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Fire at Will on 27 Mar 2014, 08:06

Peter wrote:Will,

first a question. I thought the Priest were used in Italy and not in the desert. I have one lying around here, waiting to be assembled and painted. It's the Matchbox one and it is delivered with an American crew. Also the decals are for Americans. Are you sure these were used by the 8th Army?

Now about the crew, it was the only suiteble crew that could be found in my opinion. But you talk about conversions. Maybe some tank riders from Hat?

Ninety M7 priests were sent to the Eighth Army along with Shermans and used at second Alamein.

Posted by Peter on 27 Mar 2014, 17:20

Thanks Will! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 28 Mar 2014, 13:08

These models are excellent.
donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Fire at Will on 31 Mar 2014, 07:31

Completed the 2 pdrs and daimler