Game Reports

Viking Bash

Posted by PaulRPetri on 27 Aug 2021, 20:46

I am feeling very fortunate this week as I am actually getting two wargames in! My regular gaming pal was able to come over for a morning game so I thought I would pull out my Vikings and Saxons and have a game with a slight twist. I have assembled a set of rules based on the Two Hour Wargame model and it's varoius versions that have been around about 20 years. The two of us would be the blood thirsty Vikings and the system would be the Saxons defending their village.
The first shot has cards face down that represent where a potential Saxon force may be.
Close up of our "Ride".
We started next to our ship and the Saxons won the initiative and began to move back towards there village to defend it. On turn two we won the initiative and once we were within 12" the card was turned over to see if a Saxon force was located in that spot. As luck would have it the two end cards were the two Saxon forces. There is going to be a fight! I controlled the figures to the left of the picture Brian the ones to the right.
The THW rules makes every unit take reaction test to do anything. So nothing is a given. Brian sizes up his foe.
Brian's spearmen charge into the attack a few fellows have fallen.
My crazed Vikings charge into the mix.
My force as well as the Saxons have destroyed each other. The rules are quite bloody and I even switched up some modifiers on the fly to lessen the blood letting, but to no avail.
My leader stands alone at the top left of the image defiant to the end!
Brian fighting to the last man!
Total carnage!! Brian has 5 figures remaining with the Saxon leader standing alone.
We had a fun time. We are thinking of doing a short mini campaign with the larger group. I plan on adding in some giants, trolls, barbarians and some hobgoblins for more historic flavor! A few rules still need some ironing out and I want to put down on paper the battle tactics of each group the Vikings may be fighting in the future.
As always thanks for having a look.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 27 Aug 2021, 21:23

Thanks for sharing Paul! :thumbup:

I see you borrowed Javier's Saxons! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Aug 2021, 21:39

Looking very good indeed Paul. :thumbup: i Love it all especially the long boat of which i have some in my collection within the Honey Well Room. Although i must confess i've not entered there in over 6 years. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 27 Aug 2021, 22:50

Thanks for the compliments fellas I really appreciate it.

Posted by blacksmith on 28 Aug 2021, 01:06

Peter wrote:Thanks for sharing Paul! :thumbup:

I see you borrowed Javier's Saxons! :mrgreen:

Haha, I wish those were mine and with me commanding them!
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by blacksmith on 28 Aug 2021, 01:08

Paul, that's an awesome table with beautiful miniatures and terrain. I envy your war room, your table and you having a friend for having such game. Congratulations!
blacksmith  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PaulRPetri on 28 Aug 2021, 01:50

Thank you Javier for your very kind words. If you ever find yourself in the Chicagoland area you are more than welcome to come by for a game! I am very fortunate to have several gaming pals in the area. There were 7 of us battling on Sunday with the SYW as our period of choice that day.

Posted by Ochoin on 28 Aug 2021, 08:02

Paul, if someone asked ,"What is wargaming?" I'd send them to photos of your games.

This is just magnificent.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by blacksmith on 28 Aug 2021, 12:55

PaulRPetri wrote:Thank you Javier for your very kind words. If you ever find yourself in the Chicagoland area you are more than welcome to come by for a game! I am very fortunate to have several gaming pals in the area. There were 7 of us battling on Sunday with the SYW as our period of choice that day.

Thank you very much for your invitation. I'd love to pay you a visit but I'm so far away. Having some friends to game is a real treasure.
Where I live people play GW games, Star Wars, Flames of War and Bold action; games I don't like to play.
Cheers,
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by PaulRPetri on 28 Aug 2021, 15:45

Donald you are going to make this retired cop cry!! That is the nicest compliment I have ever received!!!

Posted by Harry Faversham on 29 Aug 2021, 14:35

Looks excellent does that set up...
wot's not to love about Saxons and Vikings having at it!!!???

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by PaulRPetri on 29 Aug 2021, 14:41

Thanks Harry!

Return to Game Reports