Game Reports

DBA battle quick report: Medieval French vs Late Swiss

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 20 Mar 2019, 10:16

Hi all. Another DBA battle took place yesterday in our gentlemen room here in Bonn. Another quick report in a handful of pictures. Jan keeps on showing fine tactical skills: his medieval French (IV/64c) brought home a hard-won victory against my Swiss army (IV/79a).

Under a rainy sky that turned into a mud pool the center of the battlefield, Swiss pikes and French knights clashed along the road getting into an intense fight that stalled the two foes for long time.
Only when French bowmen accepted the idea of dirty boots and approached the Swiss units through the mud things changed in favor of the frog-eaters.

The Swiss fought for life, pikes and halberds pushing back the French knights several time, occasionally inflicting casualties. They eventually had to surrender to the French army. An honorable defeat, though.

Medieval French 4 - Late Swiss 3

Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Mar 2019, 10:20

I am probably terrible at war-gaming, but I am very fond of looking at the splendid figures and scenery used. Very nice!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MABO on 20 Mar 2019, 10:45

It is always a pleasure to play with the wonderfully painted armies of Mr.Andrea. In this case I have to say, there was an unclear situation: We had missed one detail of the rules that might have created another outcome of the battle. The French General might be "quick killed" by blades, but we could not remember the result of the dices. So peacefull as we knew him, Mr. Andrea continued the fighting. (There was nearly no alcohol in the room last night).
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 20 Mar 2019, 12:54

MABO wrote:It is always a pleasure to play with the wonderfully painted armies of Mr.Andrea. In this case I have to say, there was an unclear situation: We had missed one detail of the rules that might have created another outcome of the battle. The French General might be "quick killed" by blades, but we could not remember the result of the dices. So peacefull as we knew him, Mr. Andrea continued the fighting. (There was nearly no alcohol in the room last night).

But there was a bit? Looks like a lot of fun. Very colorful and well constructed armies for both. I think I know why Mr. Andrea's Swiss scored one fewer point: it looks like they were going up against Joan D'Arc!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Graeme on 20 Mar 2019, 14:31

Yes, I noticed the French had managed to sneak a Saint into their army too. But The Swiss win in the fashion stakes, what a splendidly colourful battle line.

Beautifully painted figures, the horses and horse furniture in that second pic are just exquisite, likewise the Swiss pikemen.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Peter on 20 Mar 2019, 16:45

The Swiss should have kept the mud between them and the French cavalry. It worke in another battle in 1302 in Flandres! :mrgreen:

Great pictures of all those nice painted figures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Game Reports