Game Reports

First game: FoG-Renaissance

Posted by Ochoin on 19 Mar 2015, 10:51

18 Mar 2015 5:33 p.m. PST

I have my first Field of Glory-Renaissance game scheduled for after Easter.

The big question on my lips is: where are my re-enforcements? I'm short of cavalry which will be the main challenge in the game.

I figure my TYW Swedes have a chance against the masses of cavalry in my opponent's Early Russian army. Skirmish cavalry such as Cossacks & armoured cavalry such as Polish Winged Hussars: he's got 6 units worth, making him highly mobile & very flexible.
My 6 infantry units (Swedish Brigades) are excellent quality, often with attached guns & able to shoot &, I'm guessing, melee better than my opponents Strelitzi infantry units.

I'll have only two units of cavalry but they'll have Commanded Musket units attached which give them some fire power to counter skirmish cavalry. One of my cavalry units are Haakapiletta: superb Finnish cavalry who'll be worth any two of his units....I hope.

I don't think artillery is a game winner but at any event, my opponent only has two cumbersome bombards: essentially immobile. They can't even traverse without a successful die roll. As long as I don't give him good targets, I should be OK here. I'll have 3, slightly more mobile medium guns.

The basic strategy will be to use terrain (hopefully) to protect flanks, keep my cavalry on a flank or in the rear, only to be used to plug holes, & play a defensive game, at least initially. I can't really take the game to him & will never catch an evading enemy but he might lose enough units by throwing himself at me.

We'll both have three commanders which will mean the attacking force may find controlling his spread out force difficult. My opponent is a wily general & I really don't expect him to do what I want his army to do.

Anyway, we'll see.

Any comments welcome.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Susofrick on 19 Mar 2015, 11:10

Off course the Swedes will win this! :-D :headbang:
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ochoin on 19 Mar 2015, 21:17

Susofrick wrote:Off course the Swedes will win this! :-D :headbang:

I'm hoping.....but there's so many of those pesky Russians.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by davbenbak1 on 20 Mar 2015, 00:23

You might want to check out the madaxeman web site. He reviews several Swedish armies against various foes he has encountered during tournament play.
davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Von Moltke on 20 Mar 2015, 00:45

i will be waiting for new notices about that battle. I love this game!!!! :love: :love:
Von Moltke  Spain

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Mar 2015, 09:08

Von Moltke wrote:i will be waiting for new notices about that battle. I love this game!!!! :love: :love:

Hopefully have some photos in a few weeks to record my victory (!!).

I'm pretty familiar with the FoG Ancients rules & having read the FoG Renaissance rules carefully I am confident of the game going well even if I think I will be lucky to win (see lack of cavalry, above)

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by davbenbak1 on 20 Mar 2015, 18:49

Just remember that the death dice in FGO-R makes a difference when calculating shooting effects between units that have firearms and those with bows. Trust me in the heat of the battle when you have horse archers v.s. commanded shot or carbine armed cav, it is easy to revert back to FOG and forget that there is ALWAYS a chance for casualties from firearm shooting or go the opposite and forget that in FOG-R this is not true of bow fire. Also note the POA for bow fire v.s. unarmored mounted not one rank deep in case your Haakepell's are unarmored. (I'm only assuming he will bring Russian bow armed cav) The fearsome Polish Winged Hussars do not get a POA for their lances on impact over impact pistol cav so that should help your cause. I can't remember if they are carbine armed but your commanded shot out range them any ways. It will be harder to keep your cav together with the commanded shot than you think so don't get too aggressive with your cav. Quality re-rolls and salvo impact POA's make the Swedish infantry hard to beat though it usually comes down to quality v.s. quantity. Eagerly awaiting your AAR and photos!!!
davbenbak1  United States of America

Return to Game Reports