Game Reports

Battle for the Twin Villages - December 1944

Posted by Fire at Will on 31 Dec 2014, 08:36

My new US forces got into action on Sunday with a scenario from the Rapid Fire Battle of the Bulge book.

I met up with a number of the Society of Gentlemen Gamers at the BIG (Bristol Independent Gamers) store

Overview of the battlefield the village of Krinkelt is bottom left, Germans deploying top right. Myself and Richard were US and Don, George and Charles were German
US forces occupying the twin villages Krinket left and Rocherath right (with the water tower)
US forward positions at Lausdell farm occupied by a battalion, plus an M10 in support.
German deployment, all in a dip so hidden from sight, and the first three moves would be in mist
US armour in Krinkelt, a touch outnumbered!
Another view of Rocherath
And they're off - Panthers racing away.
and rapidly reaching a flanking position on Krinkelt.
Loads more tanks, mainly Panzer IV, backed up by a few more Panthers fill the gap and head towards Rocherath
Jagdpanzer IV/70's and infantry head for Lausdell
One Sherman bits the dust, these Panthers are deadly!
Various 57mm AT guns try to take on the panthers but everything misses or bounces off.
Germans massing against Lausdell, the forward company has been wiped out by repeated rounds of nebelwerfer fire.
Hurrah Richard's second M10 takes out a Panzer IV
But German pioneers and a sdkfz 251/21 (drilling) take out another company in the wood by Lausdell
Panthers and panzer grenadiers advancing towards Krinkelt, despite repeat radio calls fire support from the artillery was never available
Then when it did arrive it appears after these German infantry were wiped out by small arms fire!
German armour performing the hedge hopping option - seems they thought we would mine the roads.
Pressure mounting on the twin villages
Blazing Panzer IVs, Richard's M10 continues its run of success.
US forces attempt to hold the houses under a rain of artillery fire

At the crossroads in the forground an Jagdpanzer IV/70 rolls over a daisy chain of mine and suffers heavy damage, since it's partner was also damaged earlier by an M10 the company bottles out.
Another view of the German armour massing against the villages
The H10 bites the dust as the German's gather like vultures around the last defenders of Lausdell
Success a bazooka takes out the drilling!
Nearing the end, the Germans cross the outer defence positions and press forward, moments later the American Battalion in Lausdell routed.
German 105mm's that provided effective support throughout the game
A final picture at game end, the weak reinforcement battalion was close to checking its morale and the other US battalion in Krinkeld had avoided a third successive test by ducking back into intact houses.
A great days gaming!
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 02 Jan 2015, 17:13

Great battle report and pictures! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

If I see that mass of Germans, there is only one solution Will! Paint more US forces! ;-) :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Fire at Will on 03 Jan 2015, 08:42

Peter wrote:Great battle report and pictures! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

If I see that mass of Germans, there is only one solution Will! Paint more US forces! ;-) :-D

I have got plenty of US armour, but I couldn't use it in the scenario. We talked about a rematch the next time I'm back in the SW, this time a scenario with a clash of armour, should be quite a sight.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 04 Jan 2015, 19:23

Blow your opponent away Will! :horse:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by NathanIW on 07 Feb 2015, 23:23

I love how the roads and hedge stands look on that bright green drop cloth. Inspiring scene!
NathanIW  Canada

Return to Game Reports