Game Reports

Alexander vs. Hannibal AAR

Posted by davbenbak1 on 14 Nov 2014, 17:41

OK here's how I'll give it a go using my Battles on a Budget rules. Each side gets 12 units. To represent Alexander's genius the table will be clear of terrain, a nice flat plain, with secure flanks of a river on one side and mountains on the other to eliminate hidden units and nasty flank surprises that Hannibal favors. Alexander will deploy first using his usual right side favored formation as follows:

Prodromoi Light Cavalry trained unarmored melee
Companions Formed Cavalry elite armored melee
Hypapists Formed Infantry elite armored melee
Phalanx X 4 Close order Inf. trained light armor pike
Heavy Peltists Unformed Inf. mercenary light armor melee
Thessalians Formed Cavalry veteran light armor melee
Thracians Light Cavalry mercenary shielded javelin/melee
Psiloi X 2 Light Infantry levy shielded javelin

Hannibal now gets to deploy to best exploit his opponents formations since part of his genius was knowing how to counter his opponent's strengths and advantages . His units can be deployed in any manner using the following:

Balearic slingers Light Inf. mercenary unarmored sling
Lybian javelinmen Light Inf. levy unarmored javelin
Numidian Cav X 2 Light Cav. mercenary shielded javelin/melee
Spanish Cavalry Unformed Cav. trained light armor melee
Gallic Cavalry Unformed Cav. veteran light armor melee
Caetrati Unformed Inf. veteran shielded javelin/melee
Scutari Unformed Inf. trained light armor melee
Gallic Infantry Unformed Inf. trained light armor melee
African foot Close order Inf. trained light armor melee
Hannibal's Veterans Close order Inf. veteran armored melee
Elephant Elephant no moral heavy armor melee

Turn 1 & 2
Alexander orders a general advance. Mago attaches himself to the Gallic cavalry and immediately ride down the Thracian light cav. On turn 2 the rest of the left flank collapses as the Thracian infantry routs and the Thessalians are forced to fall back. The campanions square off against the elephant and take heavy casualties while the Numdians successfully melee with the prodromoi after a bit of skirmish fire.

Turn 3&4

Parmenio attaches to the nearest phalanx, expands frontage and wheels to he left. Alexander attaches himself to his hypaspists and rushes to bale out the Companion cavalry. Together they defeat the elephant who rampages harmlessly back to the left (8 o'clock on a die roll)

Turn 5&6

The Greeks advance in echelon. Parmenio wheels two phalanxes to protect the flank and effectively freeze Mago's cavalry units. Alexander attaches himself to the nearest phalanx and races towards Hannibal. The center units start to meet.

The Campanions have pushed the Numidians from the table and turned to take Hannibal's veterans in the flank. The center is pushed back off of the table edge along with Hannibal who avoids capture.

davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 14 Nov 2014, 18:23

Great report and pictures! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2014, 15:00

With lots more figures placed I would get to like this kind of campaign stuff even more.
Very eager enthusiastic Battlefield report Davbenbak1. War-Gaming is as it seems, Jolly Good Fun! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ochoin on 16 Nov 2014, 11:39

Which rules?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by davbenbak1 on 22 Nov 2014, 21:17

The rules I use for ancients are my own. I call them "Battles on a Budget". The yahoo group is https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Bat ... udget/info

I'm working on finishing my fourth Republican Roman legion so I can put on Asculum 279 BC during the Christmas break. Next comes either Crecy or Poitiers, depending on whether I paint more mounted or dismounted knights, for a convention in April.

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Nov 2014, 22:12

Thanks for the link to your restricted grope of fellows. Your own rules, if explained there on that blog or whatever,should be protected under Copyright Law on that site. I`m sure, yahoo would guarantee that copyright under law. However I hope you have looked into this issue yourself. Just friendly advice . BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 23 Nov 2014, 20:56

Interesting,. Thanks for the forum link. I've written my own Seven Years War rules which I could promulgate so I may think about a Yahoo group.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by davbenbak1 on 30 Nov 2014, 16:11

Unfortunately, Yahoo is rife with spammers and advertisers so a restricted group is somewhat of a necessity. Otherwise, those who are interested enough with what you are doing will soon be swamped with ads or worse malicious spam links and will regret their decision to join your group. I have been considering changing to a blog format.

As to copyright protection, my thoughts were to offer the ancient version for free and only begin charging for the additional variants that cover other eras such as medieval, renaissance, shot & pike, SYW, Napoleonic's and ACW once I develop a following. I think I have developed a rather innovative movement/firing/melee process based on available actions that breaks up the usual "I go/You go" turn sequence. Very easy and playable. I play it with my 12 year old daughter as well as experienced gamers at conventions. If some big developer were to copy it I really don't have the resources to sue them any ways. That's not to say it could not be developed independently since it sounds like "Across a Deadly Field" is very similar to my own ACW rules which I have yet to publish.

Return to Game Reports