Game Reports

1st Bull Run at Millenium Con Austin,TX

Posted by davbenbak1 on 13 Nov 2014, 20:27

I ran the opening stages of 1st Bull Run at Millennium Con in Austin, TX last weekend using the Carnage & Glory II computer moderated system. I was slotted for two back to back four hour sessions. There was a two hour window between sessions for take down and put up so I was able to squeeze in 5 hours the first session.

I started the battle at 9am with Burnside emerging from the woods to find Evans deployed on Matthew's hill and ended the first session at 11:15 game time with Sherman crossing at Farm Ford. And yes, his grey clad 13th New York almost got fired on by friendly's. I did not place a command stand on the first turn of their crossing. I merely stated that these troops will be available on the next turn. The system had been generating positive statements about Wade Hampton's sterling accomplishments though he had yet to reach the field. The confederate player immediately assumed it was Hampton's Legion on the board and the Federal players not willing to take the chance. Bee and Bartow chose not to honor Evan's request for support and instead took up defensive positions on Henry Hill. Evans was able to hold and then counter charge Burnside resulting in Burnside having to temporarily leave the field to have wounds dressed, his brigade soon following. The rest of the Union forces slowly made their way through the woods and formed an orderly battle line. The 4th S.C. bolted leaving The Tigers and Davidson's battery to perform a skillful fighting retreat to Dogan's Ridge.

Attached is a picture taken a few turns into the second session. The Federals are preparing their assault on Henry Hill, Sherman has crossed with 3 regiments but Tyler is still inactive and has yet to cross Stone Bridge, Evans has been pounded on Dogan's Ridge and has halted to reform and is now being charged. This will be their last action of the day though Evans does manage to rally them at the edge of the table and into a reasonable state of morale. Davidson's battery is captured. Wade Hampton can be seen approaching in the background. Tyler eventually begins to cross the bridge but is hampered by small arms and artillery fire. His charge stalls and he is caught by an "Indian Rush" from Hampton's Legion. The rest of the line climbs to the ridge and takes the Robinson house and outskirts of Henry house. Bee and Bartow's men have been taking a pummeling from the batteries set-up on Matthew's Hill. They barely hang on long enough as Jackson arrives and moves to take the flank and drives the Yankees off of Dogan's Ridge and away from the Stone House area. The Federal army moral starts to break and exhausted units start to recoil. We called the game at 1:30 battle time.

My goal was to play through to 3pm game/battle time before Confederate reinforcements (starting with Stuart's Cavalry) arrive and start to swing the battle. The Federal player was told he would achieve victory if he controlled Matthew's Farm, Stone House, Robinson's House and Henry House at 3pm. The Federals were given a 2 to 1 numeric advantage with a total strength on the table of 16,975 men to the Confederate's 8,100. In hindsight it might have been better to have adjusted the army morale break point down a bit though I think the battle could have gone either way. Deemed a Pyrrhic Victory for the South on turn 19. In the end The Union suffered 49% losses with 8468 men of all arms of which 1357 were prisoners. 22 cannons were abandoned on the field. 3 standard lost. Keyes-captured, Wilcox-mortally wounded, Porter-severely wounded, Burnside and Franklin-lightly wounded. Confederates suffered 36% losses of 2951 men with 396 captured, 7 cannon lost. Honors to 1st Louisiana Battalion.

I did not include any division or army commanders for the North since Hunter was killed in the opening minutes and Tyler was much less than inspiring on the field and might have actually handicapped the player. McDowell wasn't really active on the field until almost 3pm. Same with Beauregard and Johnson. I did not include Howard's Brigade for much the same reason but should have to add moral support. I thought it gave a good simulation of green troops under an uncertain command structure.
davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 14 Nov 2014, 12:46

Welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

Great battle report and pictures! :thumbup:

Can you tell us what figures you have on the gaming table?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by davbenbak1 on 14 Nov 2014, 16:42

All plastic 1/72's with a mix of almost every manufacturer available. Airfix, Esci, Imex, Emhar, Accurate, Italeri, Revell. No Strelets although I have been looking for the command boxes which now seem rare.
davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 14 Nov 2014, 18:19

davbenbak1 wrote:All plastic 1/72's with a mix of almost every manufacturer available. Airfix, Esci, Imex, Emhar, Accurate, Italeri, Revell. No Strelets although I have been looking for the command boxes which now seem rare.

Thanks! :thumbup:

The Strelets Command box is rare indeed, but maybe you can find them on e-bay.
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Nov 2014, 15:17

Welcome to the Forum,Yes Indeed Davbenbak1. Nice to see the War-gaming part of the Forum being used in such a way. This period interests me immensely. Perhaps you also have friends who might give the Forum a visit too. I Hope you have successful campaigning. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Game Reports