Game Reports

Wargame based on Lord of the Rings, not for purists

Posted by Mário on 12 May 2014, 19:35

A fictional war game based on the Lord of the Rings theme. If you are a purist don’t watch this!

Well, we don’t have Elves, nor Midgets (although I have some Streletz…), orcs are also absent not to mention Middle Earth soldiers or Hobbits. So how can I and my son play a war game based on this theme?
We did a scenery like Helm’s deep, filled the fortress with medieval warriors, amassed a horde of barbarians (Celts, Britons, Mongols, Arabs and elephants) and a relieving troop pf medieval cavalry. Of course without any concern for anachronism or nationality, after all it was just a fantasy game.
This is how it looks like on the table top.

You can see the fortress and its occupants (notice Portuguese, Leon and Castilha and several Italian flags).

The attacking barbarians are shown now. First you can see the dismounted Mongols, then the Mongol cavalry, with Arabs in the back, then the Celtic infantry and cavalry with the elephants (one is a scratch built, using a toy elephant and a cardboard castle).

Finally you see the medieval cavalry troop, prepared to strike the barbarians from the side.

Missing is the reinforcing barbarian cavalry and war chariots and catapults (no more space on the table)
How did it go (we were so enthusiast that we missed to take pictures).
The barbarians were not stupid and moved the cavalry and the elephants to the right flank, at the same time the catapults were causing havoc to the defenders of the castle so the medieval cavalry had to charge.
The cavalry troops met face to face and the medieval won, crushed the back lines of the barbarian infantry and destroyed the catapults, only to be crushed by the reinforcing cavalry. But they had won the day. The infantry assault to the fortress caused heavy casualties on both sides but the defence hold. Victory for Middle Earth, or was it the medieval knights?
A good day to all.
Mário
Mário  Portugal

Posted by Peter on 12 May 2014, 21:00

I was waiting when the Germans from Caesar would come in the game, but I have missed them! :-D :joker:

Just kidding! Love what you did, and I see a big table with great painted figures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Mário on 12 May 2014, 21:07

The only set we have from Cesar is the Samurai and Ninja. We are now painting them. I'm sure they would have a place on the table...
Well, I'm going to be 60 this month and i'm still working a lot so I must play a little. My son is in college, soon he will be gone and I will have to wait for grandchildren.
Carpe diem
Thanks for your kind words
Mário
Mário  Portugal

Posted by Peter on 12 May 2014, 21:14

They have their place on that table indeed! :thumbup:

Looking forward to see them! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Mário on 12 May 2014, 21:19

That will take some time. I'm working abroad and I only paint wiyh my son when I'm home and that is 25% of my time. Those ninjas are easy to paint, but the samrais are hard work.
Regards
Mário
Mário  Portugal

Posted by SamSagace on 12 May 2014, 21:57

Like I'm a Hobbit, I'm a purist of the LoTR World ... :mrgreen:
but I must confess that this game seems to give you a lot of fun with your son ...
so I forgive you ! :lol:

and I apologize to have read and see this post which was not for me, if I've well understood the tittle !
(I've do that because I wanted to fight against iconoclast(s) :horse: but .... that was not necessary ! :thumbup: )

Thanks for sharing with us this great moment of happiness ! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I wish you a lot of other ones ! :cheers:
SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 13 May 2014, 09:37

Was a purist, but that was 30 years ago. Now I think that we are free to do what we can to create want we want. Or something like that (thinking in Swedish and writing in English can be confusing sometimes). For dwarfs or hobbits you maybe can use some smaller figures like 10-15 mm? I have some tiny Warhammer ones that I intended to use as something like that. Elves maybe some Atlantic/Nexus?
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MABO on 19 May 2014, 12:34

Great idea!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Game Reports