Wargaming Rules

Do you know Field of Glory Renaissance??

Posted by Von Moltke on 09 Dec 2014, 16:46

surely for me it's the best wargames rules i have readed for this period. But though still i have not played with it, i have all books of this wargame. You know, rules set and army books.

What is your opinion about this wargame??
Von Moltke  Spain

Posted by davbenbak1 on 09 Dec 2014, 19:45

I think it gives a pretty fair representation of renaissance warfare. The emphasis is on building balanced armies for tournament play but I have used it for historical and pick-up games as well. I like the addition of the red "death dice". Also the concept of "protected infantry" so you don't have to worry as much about the arrangement of your shot and pike bases. The rules can be a bit tedious when it comes to units lining up for melee, the step forward rule for example but once you play several times you get the hang of it. Also it helps to print out a page with the turn sequence on it so you don't skip any steps; especially all the things that happen during the "joint action phase". Dragoons are a little over powered in my opinion. Of course, all of this is just my opinion. It does help to play with someone who is familiar with the rules. You can also check out the MADAXEMAN'S web site where he has several postings of tournament games
davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Von Moltke on 09 Dec 2014, 20:40

i would become crazy if this rules could have same diplomatic and resouces map as Age of Reason, a wargame for 18th century.....

And it would be crazy a lot if i could play in 16, 17 and 18th centuries with same game. I'd love play in board anything look like with Cossacks in pc!!!
Von Moltke  Spain

Posted by Ochoin on 13 Dec 2014, 07:06

We're looking at FoG-R as we plan a move into the TYW but we've used FoG Ancients for several years.
The two rules sets are, naturally, very similar.

First for Punics & then for the Bronze Age IMO they give an historically accurate game, especialy if you follow their army lists.

The game itself is quite complex & there's a learning curve but once you've mastered it, it plays well.
We can knock off a "Starter Army" game in a couple of hours.

Even our large Bronze Age game (see: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14421 ) was very playable.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by davbenbak1 on 16 Dec 2014, 17:47

@Ochoin I think you'll find that FOG-R plays a little better than the ancients version. Looking forward to your posts of how it works for your group.
davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Dec 2014, 21:04

I just found out it is £26.00 BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 16 Dec 2014, 21:15

davbenbak1 wrote:@Ochoin I think you'll find that FOG-R plays a little better than the ancients version. Looking forward to your posts of how it works for your group.

Having read it (but not yet played) I think you're correct.

The first game is a while off until we get figures painted.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Wargaming Rules