Wargaming Rules

Suggestions for rules needed ancient-medieval-fantasy

Posted by carlosfaro on 13 Mar 2017, 00:04

Hi,
I am searching some rules which I could use with my big ancient and medieval1/72 armies..
I have forces around 300-400 man big...
Ancient From byblical to Fall of rome, and then medievals up to Renaissance..
And also some Fantasy armies with monsters, wizards and so on.

My first choice was both Warhammer Ancient Battles and Fantasy (with personal adaptations) , i think it works, but i wanted to ask here in the forum if maybe some of you have experence with some rules whcich allow so big armies wth 1model = 1 soldier and maybe be more fluid or easier than Warhammer System..(and for instance i do not want to mess with endless modificators, many special rules , special objects,,,)

By the way i found Lion Rampant and Dragon Ramoant interesting but maybe no good for so big forces??
Thanks for your comments
carlosfaro  

Posted by sprinkles on 14 Mar 2017, 22:22

I would give kings of war a look, its very fast playing and works for big forces, and the rules are free here on mantics website http://www.manticgames.com/free-rules.html. Fantasy warlord is good if you want detail and also Armies of Arcana by works well and has a good troop generation system so you can use anything you want. If you are considering warhammer it may be good to check out the older editions (1-3) so you can use the inbuilt troop generation system.
sprinkles  United Kingdom

Posted by carlosfaro on 15 Mar 2017, 14:22

Thanks sprinkles! i will search for them

i also purchased a copy of "Hail CAesar".. You played that?
Seems to be interesting, at least for historical.. it does not need 1 to 1 men, but also is not forbidden :)
For Warhammer.. I used 1st Ed of W. Ancient Battles..never saw the second ed.
carlosfaro  

Posted by carlosfaro on 15 Mar 2017, 20:31

Wow Armies of Arcana seems quite difficult to find around...
carlosfaro  

Posted by sprinkles on 19 Mar 2017, 17:37

Not played Hail ceaser but i have herd lots of good things about them. You can find Armies of Arcana here http://www.lonegunmangames.com/rulebook.php. As for warhammer, try getting hold of the fantasy versions from the 80s, it sounds weird but they play well enough and arnt ridged when you are working out what you want in a force, you can 'stat up' anything you like using the rules in the book. If you want to use historic armies all the rules are there you just have to build a force using the generation rules and equipment lists and can freely add fantasy elements if you want to. Hope thats some help.

Posted by carlosfaro on 21 Mar 2017, 16:09

Thanks a lot sprinkles,
I acquired a used A. of Arcana rulebook for 19 eur, i think i made a good deal .. Lets see when it arrives

Hail Caesar I bought as well, i will try both
Dragon Rampant I downmloaded formt he web .seems easy :)
carlosfaro  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by sprinkles on 26 Mar 2017, 14:34

I also picked up Dragon rampant recently, looking forward to trying it out. It looks alot like Lion rampant so will play well. I find them great rules for larger skirmishes. Armies of Arcana is quite hard to get hold of but like warhammer you can do anything you want with the rules to make the game you like. The points system looks complicated to begin with but is quite simple when you use it.

Posted by ToneTW on 26 Mar 2017, 21:51

The latest set of rules I got hold of was "To The Strongest!" it is a pretty fluid game because it does away with measuring, fighting is between opposing units on a gridded battlefield. Also uses playing cards instead of dice for activating for movement or fighting and resolving combats. :thumbup:
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Return to Wargaming Rules