General Wargaming

Rorke's Drift: a difficult relief

Posted by Ochoin on 09 Jul 2022, 08:53

Our annual Show has returned after the Covid years. For the two days of wargaming, we decided on a Rorke's Drift 'what-if?'
What if the entire Zulu army had crossed the river into Natal and challenged the relief columns sent to succour Rorke's Drift?

The table had a static Rorke's Drift up one end and 3 relief columns opposite. Each column was commanded by one of my pals, operating as a vainglorious medal-hunter, a staid old regular & and a sour Boer. Each had the goal of reaching Rorke's Drift but each had contrasting & even conflicting attitudes to each other.

Burger's Boers:

McBrasch's column:

Bogey's boys:

We had 690 Zulus representing the 20, 000 strong Zulu army. Most started off table, arriving after a successful dice roll:

Poor rolling meant they were slow to arrive or turned up in the wrong spot:

The game had the usual twists of fate, acerbated by the British & Colonial rivalries.

The day ended with the 17th Lancers from McBrasch's column winning through (yes, I know the 17th were still in England).

Tomorrow, we run the game again. I have some cunning ideas for the Zulus so maybe a different result.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 10 Jul 2022, 09:31

The re-run of the battle was even more enjoyable.
The dice determining the Zulus entering the battlefield were kind & every unit & more -see re-cycling) got on the table. Because I decided on a defence in depth - building coherent forces of 4 or 5 units before attacking-
the Zulus managed to inflict losses on the 3 columns & ultimately hold them off.

So, Rorke's Drift fell.

Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 10 Jul 2022, 10:23

A fine-looking game, donald. Great figures and scenery.

I also like the scenario you and your colleagues created, with three relief columns led by distinctly different characters.

A clear demonstration of how 'history can be re-written' on the wargaming table.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 10 Jul 2022, 10:47

Minuteman wrote:
A clear demonstration of how 'history can be re-written' on the wargaming table.

Thank you for your kind comments.

As I'm sure you know, the British command was bedevilled by in-fighting. Although our 3 commanders were fictional, the rivalries weren't. The interesting thing was how our 3 British/Colonial players mirrored their bios. Bogey *did* move cautiously, lost few men & lagged in the race. McBrasch moved hell for leather & succeeded in the first game & came close in the second....at a cost. As for Berger, the Boer, on the Saturday game, when he could see he wouldn't win, he turned away deliberately. As he knew I would, I moved the Zulus attacking him to one of the British columns. On Sunday, he refused a request to send troops to help another British commander.

RPG stuff in the midst of a wargame.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Rich W on 11 Jul 2022, 00:01

Thanks for sharing Donald. Some excellent looking units!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 24 Jul 2022, 07:30

Just a few more:

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bill Slavin on 04 Aug 2022, 22:02

Oh wow, what a terrific-looking game and table! It's not a period I know anything about but your collection of minis for this is outstanding, and the game with the command rivalries sounds like a lot of fun.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by k.b. on 04 Aug 2022, 23:59

Cor blimey............ absolutely stunning set up. Just seen this for the first time and surprisingly i was watching a new video early on this morning on You Tube called The Battle of ISANDLWANA from above. Some people say there is no such thing as coincidence - perhaps they're right! The video was good, your wargaming set up is fantastic. Congratulations...
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Return to General Wargaming