General Wargaming

A Late Roman Civil War

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Sep 2021, 11:07

Somewhere in the province of Gallia, two Roman forces clashed:

Artorius, Dux Britanniarum, wished to seize "the purple" & led his forces towards Rome:

Sebastianus, Comes Gallia, was tasked to stop him:

Just to make things interesting, a force of Ostrogothic foederati were not sure who to support:

And a raiding party of Visigoths added to the possibilities"

The game is tomorrow as a final play test for my rules, "A Tribute of Spears'. Four of my pals will each command a faction with differing objectives & victory points.

I'll umpire. Should be an exciting tussle.

donald

Figures are HaT, Italeri plastics & Tumbling Dice metals
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Peter on 18 Sep 2021, 11:09

Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing Donald! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 18 Sep 2021, 18:12

Peter wrote:Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing Donald! :thumbup:

I second that and wait for the report!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by blacksmith on 19 Sep 2021, 11:39

I absolutely love it! Its exactly what I'm planning to do with my figures but so far I've only based my infantry on 2 cents coins. Can you please tell me what you used to base your horses individually, and also the measures of your movement trays and where you bought them?
TIA
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by Ochoin on 19 Sep 2021, 13:27

The game has been fought, won & lost & it was possibly the best wargame I've ever been in.

As a civil war, each participant was as devious, untrustworthy & treacherous as possible & the twists & turns meant the game progressed in an entirely unexpected manner.

After deployment, the two Late Roman forces faced off in the south wit the Goths entering from the north:

Unexpectedly, the usurper's forces adopted a defensive posture whilst the defenders attacked aggressively:

The heart of each Roman force were the heavy infantry supported by numerous cavalry:

There were all sorts of bonus victory points to be gained by committing mayhem - burning down villas:

But wide flanking movements were the order of the day:

The best moment of the game came quite early when the Ostrogoths, advancing on Artorius' forces were attacked by Huns allied to Sebastianus. A "friendly fire" incident that caused them to swop sides.

No one knew who to trust when the two Roman sides dropped their antagonism & turned on the Goths:

In the final turn of the game the Ostrogothic leader, Odoacer, was killed.

Gaming does not get any better.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by MABO on 19 Sep 2021, 13:33

Thanks for the report. The units looks fabulous and I am happy for you, that you had a great day gaming!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 19 Sep 2021, 13:34

blacksmith wrote:I absolutely love it! Its exactly what I'm planning to do with my figures but so far I've only based my infantry on 2 cents coins. Can you please tell me what you used to base your horses individually, and also the measures of your movement trays and where you bought them?
TIA

All figures are individually based & kept in unit-sized movement trays.

These are made to suit the various troop sizes eg cavalry mostly 8 figures, legionaries at 10 & Auxilliaries at 8 etc.

The trays are laser cut to my specifications. You can get such things on the web but mine are bought from a local chap who owns a laser cutter. Each tray (which comes with the figure disks of course) is less than $2.

I think the photos show exactly what I've done.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Chariobaude on 19 Sep 2021, 14:38

i love the scenario ! :)
nice report, happy to see you and your friends enjoying that battle !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by blacksmith on 19 Sep 2021, 17:03

Thanks for your answer. Beautiful miniatures and battlefield. Congratulations.
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Sep 2021, 00:42

I *think* my Late Romans are about done. Artorius may arise again to lead more revolts.

Additionally, I've secured some Huns.I think I have enough "hairy barbarian" types to raise a Hunnish-Gothic army.
A pal just gave me a box of the HaT Visigoths which contains some needed archers.
I'd really like some more Germanic cavalry but in 1/72 plastic, there's essentially nothing available.
My other desire is wagons for a lager. Both Huns & Goths used these "mobile forts". I can't think of anything available & cost effective.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to General Wargaming