General Wargaming

Dark Ages Teasers

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Jan 2021, 06:53

I've finished setting up for tonight's game: some teasers:
The Late Romans...

The cavalry:

The infantry:

The L. Romans will be defending a river crossing from the marauding Saxons.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Jan 2021, 06:53

Figures are HaT & Italeri plastics, Newline & Tumbling Dice metals.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 20 Jan 2021, 15:53

Donald I wish I could get my teleporter working so I could zip in for this game. Looks terrific as usual. By the way how do the Newline figures fit in with the plastics? Would you use them in the same unit or keep them separate? I have a 100 Jacobites coming in from Newline, they have a sale going, to start my '45 project.

Thanks
Paul
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by M.P. on 20 Jan 2021, 16:20

Looks fantastic :).
M.P.  Poland

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Jan 2021, 01:21

PaulRPetri wrote: By the way how do the Newline figures fit in with the plastics? Would you use them in the same unit or keep them separate? I have a 100 Jacobites coming in from Newline, they have a sale going, to start my '45 project.

Thanks
Paul

Paul, the Newline L.Romans & Goths are from their 1/72 line are are noticeably bigger than the bulk of their 20mm figures. Hence, they match perfectly with the "big" Italeri Goths & L. Romans. The HaT figures are smaller but, as you say, in separate units, work well enough.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Jan 2021, 01:23

M.P. wrote:Looks fantastic :).

And, I actually won the battle using my Saxons (mostly Strelets)....this is not the usual outcome!

Not only did I win, but I beat two of my pals who are ex-army officers. Either alone is a formidable opponent & together, I've never actually beaten them before now.

I will state, in the interests of a full & open disclosure, I wrote the rules. My opponents had used them once & never before. I devised the scenario & have been thinking about for a week whilst it was divulged to my opponents just before the game.
I also *think* the L. Romans were a bit understrength (I think I'll acquire 1-2 more units to even things up).

So things were stacked in my favour. However, they did make an initial blunder in using their horse archers to attack me across the river. I chewed their units up & they needed them later to contain my skirmish missile troops.

Game photos? I was too busy holding my breath until I won.

donaLD
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Harry Faversham on 21 Jan 2021, 13:28

Ochoin wrote:Game photos? I was too busy holding my breath until I won.
donaLD

Now, far be it for me to cast dispersions and wotnot, but...
you won a battle agin 'proper' Generals, but there's absolutely no evidence of this majestic triumph, and how come you didn't just swoon away after all that holding of breaths?

:eh: :affraid: :eh:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Jan 2021, 13:56

Harry Faversham wrote:.
you won a battle agin 'proper' Generals,
:eh:

Well, not generals.

One had been a lieutenant in the paras & the other an Australian army major. There's a third pal who is an ex-Black watch captain but he wasn't present.

However, their training seems to have made them clearer thinkers than me - they have an instinctive grasp of tactics despite the unfamiliarity of the period. Indeed, the latter two first teamed up a few years ago to give me a hiding in my favourite period: Chariot Wars. They afterwards said, they just used the chariots like you would lightly armoured scout vehicles of Gulf War vintage.

Live. Learn.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 21 Jan 2021, 15:41

All Hail Donald the conquering hero!! Take your victory laps when you can. I win so seldom I celebrate them like I defeated the Evil Empire.
It is funny you mention Hat figures being small. I tried to use some of the Hat figures from the SYW Prussian to officer a few Redbox British units for the Jacobite rebellion and they were much too big for even me. And I fudge a lot of stuff.
Anyway I wish there was some photos of your stunning victory.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Jan 2021, 17:03

What no pic's ,Just our luck. Bah humbug i say to you Sir,yes humbug! and bah!
On the other hand,that sure was a splendid table top worthy of a win or even a lose!
Now then you must make sure your river is connected with another piece, or the water will flood out to waste leaving a bog to battle over.

:cowboy: Pin the enemy and see what happens!
:mrgreen: Or write the rules. :eh: Eh! What!
Greetings Donald :coffee: from BB,up over.
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to General Wargaming