General Wargaming

Kingdom of Heaven...

Posted by Harry Faversham on 26 Nov 2020, 10:30

As a blood red sun rose over the trees, Toke, Big King of the Vikings raised his great sword, Skullspltta above his head. His Viking Warriors began their advance. The night before Toke's holy man had had a vision. He had seen the great hall to the Christian God dangling on the two sticks burning to the ground. This day, with Odin's help, he would make the vision come true...

Across the fields Putrid son of Putrid, Warrior Lord of the Saxons exhorted his men to defend their church and faith to the last drop of Christian blood...

Before this day's sun sets many souls would be in either Valhalla or the Kingdom of Heaven!

:wave:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 26 Nov 2020, 11:10

Great stuff Mr Faversham! It's a good looking scenario with suitably wild Vikings and stubborn but smelly Saxons; I'm siding with the forces of Putrid on this one.

Bernard Cornwell would be proud, and possibly interested as well....
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Harry Faversham on 26 Nov 2020, 11:16

Minuteman wrote:I'm siding with the forces of Putrid on this one.

Then, in my 'umble opinion you've backed a loser, yew wretched peasant, yew...
See, I'm taking the part of the Big King of the Vikings!

:-P
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 26 Nov 2020, 12:41

Harry Faversham wrote:
Then, in my 'umble opinion you've backed a loser, yew wretched peasant, yew...
See, I'm taking the part of the Big King of the Vikings!

:-P

I may be a mere Saxon Baldric, but perhaps there is a scope for a 'cunning plan' here featuring a relief force led by Lord Blackaedder, Thane of Dover, and his feisty fusty Fyrd......

Perhaps they will arrive around game move 5 or 6? Or perhaps not.....

Posted by Harry Faversham on 26 Nov 2020, 14:47

By Odin's beard!
Lord Flasheart's five/sixed the Christians!!!

:shock:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 27 Nov 2020, 01:21

Both sides advance upon each other with much malice aforethought. Putrid strikes fast, personally leading his Cavalry straight into the Viking shieldwall forcing part of it to recoil...

:(
Harry Faversham  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 27 Nov 2020, 13:40

Thanks for sharing! Can we have some closer pictures of the figures? ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Harry Faversham on 27 Nov 2020, 18:14

Serpently can old chap, but they're a bit like Herself, even on a good day...
better seen from afar...

:oops:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 27 Nov 2020, 20:07

Would be good to see Putrid son of Putrid close up. I'm already developing an affinity with this hero of the Saxon age.....

I'm also a bit confused about who Lord Flasheart is? An escaped Knight of the Round Table? A re-enactor from the Richard the Lionheart Society....?

Posted by Harry Faversham on 28 Nov 2020, 10:58

Peter wrote:Thanks for sharing! Can we have some closer pictures of the figures? ;-) :thumbup:

I called a truce to the fighting and asked the nice Viking chappies if they'd care to pose for a piccy or three. Here's their answer... :oops:

Putrid son of Putrid was a tad more accommodating...

Some of Putrid's underlings...

The Vikings held a Thing and decided, seeing they were actually on a 'jolly lad's outing', they wanted a happy-snap too...

:P
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Peter on 28 Nov 2020, 11:56

Thanks Harry! :thumbup:

That first one needs a belt to keep his trousers up! He's going to get a cold that way! ;-) :-D :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 28 Nov 2020, 12:17

Ah those Vikings, the sheer bare-faced cheek....or is that bare-cheeked face..?

Putrid looks young, energetic and progressive, equipped and mounted as he is in the 'latest Norman style'. A long-lost hero of the 11th century.

Pick of the photos to my mind however is Toke, Big King of the Vikings: I imagine this is the handsome mail-coated Viking with the huge red beard ? What an impressive chap.

Now, where were we....?

Posted by Harry Faversham on 28 Nov 2020, 12:48

That's him, here's Toke the Big King of the Vikings, with his lad Dib, the little King of the Vikings. You can just see Dib, jumping up and down trying to see wot's appertaining, at the back of the shieldwall...

Here's the dynamic dunderheads with their pal, Thorkel the Tall...

:oops:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 28 Nov 2020, 12:55

Here's that idiot Putrid, showing off with his poncy foreign kite shield. I'm thinking the long yellow stripey bits should be right down his back...

:xd:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 28 Nov 2020, 14:25

Great characters, I'm now a fan of Thorkel the Tall and would vote for him over Little King Dib if Big King Toke were to fall in the coming battle.

With his Norman shield and (probably) French accent and love of horses, can you be sure that Putrid 'the Saxon' is not in fact Putride Le Vile, a Norman interloper getting in there before 1066?

Posted by Harry Faversham on 28 Nov 2020, 14:42

Putrid's an accepted historical rent in the time space continuum that is 'The Kingdom of Heaven'. A dodgy place where one side has to have round shields, the other side square ones, so they all know who to proddle with their pointy cutlery!

:eh:
Harry Faversham  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 29 Nov 2020, 13:33

Wonderful Normans!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Harry Faversham on 07 Dec 2020, 23:43

A Viking Hero shouting his thanks to the All-Father for the battle about to begin!!!

:mad:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 12 Dec 2020, 05:46

Shield clashes against shield all around the field. The fighting goes well for the Vikings on the right, their horsemen routing the Saxons. The fierce Viking Warriors destroy the shieldwall on the hill, killing a noted Saxon Champion, his victor planting the Raven banner atop the hill for all to see!

Putrid son of Putrid gallops along the Saxon line to steady the troops, then gallops into the enemy shieldwall, hewing about him, with great and deadly gusto...

The Big King of the Vikings is next on his list of things to do. The Big King proves a sterner test for Putrid's sword-arm...

Roaring his great battlecry another Viking Hero lays waste to the Saxons, till being surrounded and cut down in his turn!

Seeing his Champion fall under the Saxon axes brings swift reply from the Little King of the Vikings, he gives the Saxon Hero a 'Death Worthy of a Saga!'...

Despite the Little King's triumph, the Viking line cracks! King Toke and Putrid have fought one another to a standstill.
The cracked Viking line breaks!

King Toke leads his shattered and demoralised raiders from the field...

The victorious Saxons gather around their Church, which they have valiantly, saved from the ravishing of the Norsemen. Bishop Bonk gives a blessing to Putrid son of Putrid and a Benediction for their deliverance!

But as all great warriors, gathered to drink and feast in Valhalla know, the only real victors are the Crows!

:(
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 12 Dec 2020, 09:00

Quite magnificent! The whole thing is worthy of a Saga sword-song in its own right. I am of course quietly pleased that Putrid son of Putrid prevailed and that Bishop Bonk kept his church, but of course enough of King Toke's Vikings still live to fight another day.

The figures, banners...and blood effects too - are great! Thanks Mr Faversham.

Next page

Return to General Wargaming