Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Jul 2020, 07:22

Airfix figures (mostly)?

And in gloss enamels?

I'm all misty-eyed with nostalgia.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Harry Faversham on 21 Jul 2020, 09:57

All the Infantry are Airfix and most of the Cavalry, but a few Esci horsemen have snuck into the ranks! The Generals and 'personalities', if memory serves, are Newline Design figures.

:joker:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 21 Jul 2020, 10:19

Great, very nostalgic. I think I spotted British Heavy dragoons made from French Waterloo cavalry; mine were too, plus Life Guards (with plastic wood helmet crests), some Dutch Carabineers (ditto), and of course French Dragoons + Carabineers as well as Cuirassiers as it specified on the box! A versatile set, now superseded by many much, much better sets. But in those day it was all there was. I have dozens of dead cuirassier horses and crouching-cuirassier-waving-sword figures (was that pose ever possible in those big boots?) in my spares box.....

Great painting, the basing looks quite 'modern'? I also admire the fact that these are arrayed on shelves; my old Airfix Napoleonics are packed away in boxes in the loft. Safe, but now out of sight.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Harry Faversham on 21 Jul 2020, 11:11

That's what I've been doing during the plague lockdown, re-basing the entire collection, so they're good to go for another half century!
There's about 10 Battalions of Prussians, 18 cannon, French line Dragoons and the Old Guard Cavalry left to do. Like yours, the Guard mounted Grenadiers are Curryasars with AWI British Grenadier heads on.
Here's some of our very earliest foot Grenadiers of the Guard, made before Airfix released the proper ones...

:oops:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 23 Jul 2020, 12:19

These look about as good as AWI British Grenadiers standing in for Old Guard Grenadiers/Chasseurs could be!! I remember that I was about to buy some boxes of the Airfix AWI set to paint as Old Guard when, wonder of wonders, Airfix released their real Imperial Guard set. Wow!! In those days a it was a case of one or two new sets a year, if we were lucky.

I just wish that Airfix had scaled their Imperial Guard set and the Prussian (Landwehr) set a little bit bigger - 24mm rather than 22mm. They always looked a bit small and slender to me, up against the chunky French and British Infantry sculpts.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PaulRPetri on 23 Jul 2020, 15:08

what an excellent collection!! Wonderful.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Harry Faversham on 24 Jul 2020, 00:23

Minuteman wrote:These look about as good as AWI British Grenadiers standing in for Old Guard Grenadiers/Chasseurs could be!! I remember that I was about to buy some boxes of the Airfix AWI set to paint as Old Guard when, wonder of wonders, Airfix released their real Imperial Guard set. Wow!! In those days a it was a case of one or two new sets a year, if we were lucky.

I just wish that Airfix had scaled their Imperial Guard set and the Prussian (Landwehr) set a little bit bigger - 24mm rather than 22mm. They always looked a bit small and slender to me, up against the chunky French and British Infantry sculpts.

Airfix Old Guard look lovely, but you're bang on the money, about 'em being a tad on the scrawny side!

Harry Faversham  England

Posted by lobo on 24 Jul 2020, 15:24

I like them a lot. I think that many times a clean and correct painting is much better for a wargaming army than a style with a lot of washed, with a dirty finishing over the colorful uniforms of that age.
The repetitive poses are very valid for representing an army of that age
And the perfect basis give them a very martial look. Please, can you tell me the material uses in your basing?
Congratulations.
Antonio.
lobo  Spain

Posted by Harry Faversham on 25 Jul 2020, 09:09

Thank you very much Sir, for the kind comments. My mate says they're the best based, crappest painted models he's ever seen!
The actual MDF bases come from a UK company called 'Warbases'. Figures are glued on and the base is covered with dark brown 'Basetex' paint, which is dry brushed with sand yellow when dry. Self adhesive shrubs are added and then a sprinkling of static grass hides the bases of the figures and blends everything in.
Don't let anyone kid you about the weird and wonderful methods you can use to stop paint flaking of bendy plastic swords and musket barrels... they're all absolute cobblers!
Bunging yer Airfix warriors on those kind of bases, where the actual figures don't get handled is the one and only solution, if you intend playing with 'em.

:-D
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by lobo on 28 Jul 2020, 22:27

Thank you very much Harry,
All of us use to be very critics with our works!
Yes I haven't found the solution for this problem either!
Antonio
lobo  Spain

Posted by Peter on 04 Aug 2020, 09:26

Love them all Harry! Great paint conversions. Would like to see more pictures. ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Harry Faversham on 08 Jul 2023, 13:30

Latest edition for the Airfix Waterloo collection. Dutch/Belgian Battery, on the outskirts of Papalotte...

Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Peter on 08 Jul 2023, 22:07

New arrivals and allready painted! Great job Harry! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 10 Jul 2023, 13:57

Very nice Harry! Rarely have those old French Waterloo artillerymen look as good as these Dutch gunners do.

Posted by Harry Faversham on 13 Jul 2023, 10:13

No more compliments, please lads. My head's got that swollen, I've had to buy a new hat!

:P
Harry Faversham  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by RSDean on 13 Jul 2023, 18:03

Old Airfix really gives me a hit of nostalgia…
RSDean  United States of America

Return to General Wargaming