General Wargaming

Italy, 1944

Posted by Ochoin on 29 Jun 2020, 08:03

I have a late war, Western Europe British army. My pal has an Afrika Korps force. Where to meet? Italy, of course!

The British:

The game challenged the British to advance through a country side where every German unit was hidden (only being revealed when they fired).
The empty battlefield:

The British plan involved using airpower & a strong artillery presence to beat the Germans. Things did not go well.
A British disaster:

We might fight this one again but hopefully hidden Tigers & some devastating counter-artillery might be overcome:

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by C M Dodson on 29 Jun 2020, 09:44

Not sure it’s Italy but it is very nice terrain for wargaming.

Those aircraft look lovely with the stands.

Normally, 1/72 aircraft look a bit huge in my experience but these do look the part.

Happy battling.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 29 Jun 2020, 11:10

C M Dodson wrote:Not sure it’s Italy but it is very nice terrain for wargaming.

Those aircraft look lovely with the stands.

Normally, 1/72 aircraft look a bit huge in my experience but these do look the part.

Happy battling.

Chris

Hi, Chris,

yes, it was a bit of a "marriage" of a game, as indicated.

Re; aircraft. I know a lot of people use 15mm planes with 20mm figures & , of course, that looks good as it gives a kind of forced perspective that works nicely.

I like using 1/72 planes which I think works, as long as you make the flight stands quite high. This also changes the perspective.

We don't do any fancy aerial battling so the planes fly in (on passing a command roll) & unless interfered with by AA, they strafe & bomb their chosen target via more dice rolling, & fly home- all at the same "altitude" stipulated by the flight stand.

TBH modern wargaming doesn't have the panache of serried ranks or colourful uniforms IMO so the use of planes lifts the whole game. Believe it or not but I'm thinking of acquiring a B-26 (which did tactical bombing) for the "look".

Yes, typical megalomaniac wargamer.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Harry Faversham on 29 Jun 2020, 23:46

Great looking set up, bloody nose for the Tommy Atkins though!

:(
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Ochoin on 30 Jun 2020, 01:17

Hi, Harry,

we did so well for the first three game turns I thought it'd be a walk over. But losing all air & artillery support (I lost the FAC & FAO from unlucky events) meant I had no back up for my armour.

We'll fight it again, some time, & the Brits will do better......& anyway, as I reminded my opponent, Hitler did lose the war!

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to General Wargaming