General Wargaming

A Wargames fenonamumm...

Posted by Harry Faversham on 04 Jun 2020, 12:28

With plenty of time for cogitating, I've laid one...
Does this exotic creature exist in real life? A wargamer with no interest in painting and basing figures, building terrain or anything creative attached to our hobby. A bloke who just wants to play wargames, buys everything ready made and painted including figures, and gets to it?

:shock:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Ochoin on 04 Jun 2020, 13:37

But of course, Harry. I've met such & although, for me & you, painting etc is more than half the hobby, what is wrong with loving the game only?

Should you criticise the chess player, who buys a set of chessmen, doesn't paint them or model terrain for them to fight over?

Most here at Bennos are the complete opposite as modellers, painters & dioramatists & possibly regard wargamers as you & me as rather strange (but, of course, are too polite to say so). As a man who plays with toy soldiers, I am very hesitant at looking down at others.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Harry Faversham on 04 Jun 2020, 13:55

Not me mate, I look down on people who don't play Sowjers with the same contempt as them that don't drink!
Seriously though, my mate (mention boardgames near him is like giving Drac a garlic bulb for supper!) does his nut at people who don't paint figures but love playing wargames. I tried to point out that normal people aren't that daft, they don't have the time, inclination or steady hand to create their own, but still can enjoy taking part in the game.
In the end I finished up as demented as him, ranting on that when he enjoys riding his pushbike along the seafront, he didn't start off with one spoke and build a sodding bike around it!

:mad:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Ochoin on 04 Jun 2020, 21:46

Harry Faversham wrote:, ranting on that when he enjoys riding his pushbike along the seafront, he didn't start off with one spoke and build a sodding bike around it!

:mad:

LOL.

Whether we're demented is a topic I think doesn't bear too close a scrutiny.

At worst, we're *harmless* lunatics.

cheers donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to General Wargaming