General Wargaming

Battle Plan of Waterloo Diorama

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Jan 2015, 14:25

With the added interest in Waterloo this year, I thought for those into Painting Figures and Modelling Buildings & Wargaming the Battle ,might find this battle plan of a Diorama helpful. I have had it for years ,and as I painted up a Regiment I ticked it off on the Plan. Then years ago this Plan went missing as we moved Stuff,and yesterday it was found . Of course my 13 years of scratch building & painting figures carried on in spite of having no internet connection. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 18 Jan 2015, 21:32

Did you buy that map like we can see it on the picture, or is it something you made yourself?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Jan 2015, 19:23

The Map showing the Deployment of the Armies at Waterloo I found in an old Magazine. You know the type where you buy one or two pieces each month until the map and the units were all complete. One piece for each type of regiment. On the bottom of each figure base were letters & numbers that corresponded to the ones on the map so that is where you placed that figure. Brilliantly expensive, and a total bore having to wait 3 years to buy and collect everything piece needed.

The Letters & Numbering system could be used in much the same way by anyone with any sort of model figure collection & grid system map. Of course the map above is only an illustration of sorts. The actual Map would or could be as large as is wanted and built up like a giant jigsaw.
Like I mentioned I`d paint my model regiments up, and as I did so I marked them out on the map by pen,which was having lots of fun along the way with every unit finished.
However my units got a lot Bigger! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 20 Jan 2015, 19:50

Thanks for the answer Paul! Were it special figures?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Jan 2015, 20:13

Yes ,Peter specially made for the MAG ,and not available to buy. I believe I could find the whole set now,at one Big Price if I wanted to.
I do have a French Cuirassier Charging & one figure of British Guards Standing his Ground somewhere. I`ll send in a picture of them after I blow the years of dust off them. Only kidding the only dust around here is Genuine FiddleWood Gnome Magic Gold Dust! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Jan 2015, 23:03

It was early 2005 when this offer to buy these 33 mm figures at a very high price came out. ( £875 )

Here are the letters & numbers of the pieces I have that were supposed to be placed upon the large set Diorama Map. They are delPrado diecast ,and there were 125 weekly parts at £6.99 each,and looking at them after all these years they don`t seem that good,but they did awaken an interest for the Waterloo period.

The French Cuirassier that so captivated my imagination at the time.

There was along with all the mag`s and figures the front Facade of Hougoumont,but I decided to scratch build my own, and to man it with the British Guardsmen that fought there ,but importantly to include the Nassau troops that fought there too. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to General Wargaming