General Wargaming

Adams Modular multipurpose gaming table!

Posted by Adam on 09 Oct 2007, 18:11

Hi, hope its alright to stick this in here Benno? If you want to move it please do!

I have been working on and off for a few months now on a gaming table, with a slight difference. I love sculpted modular terrains and their details, but they usually only make a few layouts or are hex based and look less appealing.

So I though I would try and design a table in modular squares 2ftx2ft, with sculpted rivers in some, which were offset at a similar point in each module (but not in the centre of each board/module as this looks very "samey"), which could also be removed and replaced with a flat grass panel. These will eventualyl go together to make a 12x6ft table for napoleonics and a 6x6ft for ancients/medieval, though obviously any combination of the 2x2 modules can be made, though I am starting just making 12 modules.

In addition these modules are double sided, made of two pieced of 1" polystyrene stuck together. So on the reverse are grey panels (or will be!). some with the coast, some with harbours, some canals and eventually some train stations.

The modules are designed so that they can be arranged in numerous orders, mixed grass and grey, all grass, grass and rivers, etc etc. and I can also get a reasonable approximation out of the 12 tiles I am making of all the peninsular battlefields.

Naturally designing the panels and deciding of the river/terrain feature has been the most carefulyl considered bit of this project. If it is O.K with Benno I might keep adding to this thread over the months as the project advances? (if it does!)

Here are some pictures of the early sculpting stages.

This is a board showing the "grey" side (eventually) with its canal panel cut out.

Here is the reverse of the same panel showing the "grass" side, with removable sculpted river. (there is also a plain panel with nothing on which can replace the river piece)

this shows the piece of hardboard which acts as a bottom piece for the river sections, naturally this makes the polystyrene stand a little proud, but this can be sculpted smaller. Eventually I am going to fill the rivers with resin.

Finally, this shows the terrain piece with the river and plain panel insert next to it.

I have got further than this, but I'll upload some more when I get a little more spare time!
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Benno on 09 Oct 2007, 19:31

You've posted it in the right subforum. :)

It's a fantastic idea. Please, keep adding to this thread! :thumbsup:

Do you know the Touching History website? Perhaps worth visiting.
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Adam on 09 Oct 2007, 20:41

I do yeah, I even ordered one of his magazines. Nice stuff, mostly what I already knew but I just like having lots of pictures as a reference collection. Just stuff like what colours people use for wood and stone etc etc, and ideas for things.
Adam  United Kingdom

Return to General Wargaming