General Wargaming

Are there any single player game rules out there?

Posted by Bramble15 on 30 May 2013, 01:31

I have over the past few years seen many, many beautiful wargame armies on this site and others. With that said I wanted to try to get in the mix. Due to time contraints and lack of any clubs in my immediate area I am therefore looking for single player rules for Napoleonics. I am looking for something very easy and fast paced. In my mind I have an idea what I want, but have no idea if something exists. I have been thinking of some sort of capture the flag type of game.

I have no idea if my question makes any sense or not. Thanks for any attention and advice.

Rich
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Ben Bob on 30 May 2013, 09:27

My first "real" set of Napoleonic rules were in Niel Thomas' wargame series. He made a Napoleonic rule book that is quite simple.
I don't think that it is designed as a single player set, but that is what I used it for almost exclusively and I recall it working well.
There are many free rules as well that you may want to sample before purchasing a book. I don't have very much experience with them, but one may work for you.
Welcome to gaming :-)
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by gorgarrak on 30 May 2013, 11:07

Warwick Kinrade's Normandy Firefight WW2 Skirmish rules can be adapted to Age of Musket Games, designed for 54mm minis with 4-6 models per side, very fast play, each turn represents 2-3 seconds real time and each action is small I.e. - loading = 2 actions, kneeling down = 1 action.
games can be played with any size miniatures for a cool game. Maybe a small group of French Voltigures vs Spanish Guerrillas.
No rules for horse though as the playing area is small

Mike
gorgarrak  United Kingdom

Posted by Bramble15 on 30 May 2013, 15:20

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will definately check out some of these and see if I can what close to what is in my head. :drool:
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by SKORRA on 30 May 2013, 15:22

Have a look at two hours wargames,

You can play solo, head to head or cooperatively.

All the rules is based on reactions system on each figures experience.

You can download for free the modern and middle age rules.

Have a try.
SKORRA  

Posted by ToneTW on 22 Jul 2013, 00:06

For single player games square based rules will help remove the complexities of movement to some degree and speed up play.

Check out these: http://paintingshed.blogspot.co.uk/p/napoleonic-rules-v50.html

Or you could ask on a forum for a someone to act as a opponent over the internet. Even if you briefed out the situation you could get some opinions on how to move the opposing force and you acting as their subordinate in moving their army for them.
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by NathanIW on 24 Jul 2013, 12:35

Two Hour Wargames' reaction system works very, very well for this. If you join the yahoogroup (like below) you can get a skirmish game for ancients, medieval and fantasy called "Swordplay" and if you want to do 20th century type stuff, "Chain Reaction 3.0." Both are free. The guy who writes them started off working with another author and they made a historical version for mass battles called Warrior Kings. You can get that older game in the 2nd link below. Two Hour Wargames also has a variety of non-free products which are quite good. There's a Napoleonic battle game coming out later this year, for example.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/twohourwargames/

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/warriorkings/
NathanIW  Canada

Posted by SKORRA on 24 Jul 2013, 12:46

And if you're looking for Napoleonics, they'll release soon rules for this period.
SKORRA  

Return to General Wargaming