General Wargaming

Warhammer Historical is no more

Posted by Bert on 24 May 2012, 22:39

Warhammer Historical is no more! This is the current message on their site:
"Warhammer Historical Has Now Closed. We can no longer accept any further orders for our products
We would like to thank our customers who have purchased our publications over the years and hope you will continue to get many more years of gaming enjoyment from them. If you have any queries regarding orders that have been placed with Warhammer Historical please contact the Forge World Customer Service team."
http://www.warhammer-historical.com/

This markes the end of an era in historical miniature wargaming imho! Fortunately there are many new and good games from several companies out on the market now. These form the new generation; like Black Powder, Hail Caesar, Pike & Shottle, Clash of Empires, War and Conquest, SAGA to name but a few. Many of these rulesystems are written by people that were active at or for Games Workshop and Warhammer Historical in the past.
Bert  Netherlands

Posted by steve_pickstock on 25 May 2012, 08:56

I think it is sad - I have had a lot of games of Warhammer Ancient battle over the last fifteen years and enjoyed most of them. I have all the army books - I think - and I fortunately I recently bought the new version of Armies of Antiquity. To me this means there is no reason to bin WAB and immediately move on to something else. Some of my friends and I are still playing WRG rule sets and they disappeared long ago.

The one rule set that does suffer under this is Kampfgruppe Normandy which has been rated as one of the best sets of rules for this period ever written. However I have heard that things are moving on that front, so while I have forked out fifty notes for a set of rules I may never play, at least something good may come out of it.

I put it all down to the control freaks at Lenton, if they can't keep a strangle hold on the rights and profits they aren't interested - GW can trademark evrything they do out of sight but they couldn't control historical gaming so kill off that arm.

So WAB is dead! Long live WAB!
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Bert on 26 May 2012, 18:56

Dear Steve,
Do you have any news concerning a possible follow-up for Kampfgruppe Normandy? I hoped for Kampfgruppe Kursk to appear but perhaps something else is developping now in the UK. I believe that Osprey and Warlord Games are working on a WW2 rule book to support their Bolt Action range but these are 28mm figs and vehicles. One thing I like about the Kampfgruppe rules is that they are written with 20mm stuff in mind. If you have any info about a future Kampfgruppe rules release, please do share it with us?
Kind regards,
Bert van Hal
Bert  Netherlands

Posted by steve_pickstock on 27 May 2012, 20:29

There's been a lot going on around the KGN in the background - check here:-

http://www.guildwargamers.com/phpBB3/vi ... 66&t=23214

but you'll need to be a member of the Guild.

I'm more than a bit p'ssed off that I and a few friends bought copies of KGN only for it to be effectively cut off by the Evil Empire. And anyone who tries to do anything to support KGN will fiend themselves warned off by the legal side of GW.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 06 Jun 2012, 21:56

As far as I can say they had a big sale at Salute London this year. They shove out their rule books for around 5 quid
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Posted by zzed on 06 Jun 2012, 23:00

Wheeling Turn wrote:As far as I can say they had a big sale at Salute London this year. They shove out their rule books for around 5 quid

:shock: Would like to buy a couple of them for that price :-)
zzed  Croatia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Wolfie65 on 20 Aug 2012, 12:36

The comment about not being able to trademark historical terms and images is correct.
GW became a bunch of greedmongers long ago and upon realizing that historical gamers weren't about to shell out $ 20.00 and above for 1 'Special Character' figure (on foot....mounted model $ 45.00 in a 'boxed set'....), they closed it down.
No big deal, WAB was exactly the same as WHFB, except without the fantasy parts.
Wolfie65  United States of America

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 22 Aug 2012, 13:41

Sadly some really nice Rulesets like Legends of the Old West are no longer available.
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Return to General Wargaming