Posted by Dad's Army on 28 Mar 2021, 08:00

This is duel nr.223 folks!

The rules this time were:

The duel against mister X.
- Polish Uhlans Zvezda set 8075
- Monthly duel mister X
- 2 pictures

You have a week to choose your winner.
Once again gentlemen take your places and may the best painter win.
Please leave comments after the duel has finished

"Giddy up go"

vs

"Dutch Lancer"

Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Dad's Army on 05 Apr 2021, 12:47

Well guys, this duel had some votes, thanks for that!
The winner is Aaron (Bluefalchion) but in the beginning of this duel both had the same amount of votes.
So sorry for Mr. X. but you didn't make it against this old mr. X.
But I am sure both of you had lot's of fun with this one.
Both paintjobs where awesome, my compliments.

Well that was March duel!
We still are looking for 4 months to fill, look Here
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Peter on 05 Apr 2021, 13:09

Congrats to both painters. Okay I voted for Mr X, but it was a hard choice! This was another great duel guys! Thank you! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 05 Apr 2021, 13:42

This time I also voted for Mr.X, and also for me it was a hard choice. Both have been painted very nicely! Looking for April.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bill Slavin on 05 Apr 2021, 17:28

Both were nice entries. I voted for Dutch Lancer, mainly because I’m generally drawn to more subdued colours. Although now I’m noticing Giddy up painted the ,”N” on the blanket - that should have deserved some votes! ;-)
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 05 Apr 2021, 19:35

Bill Slavin wrote:Both were nice entries. I voted for Dutch Lancer, mainly because I’m generally drawn to more subdued colours. Although now I’m noticing Giddy up painted the ,”N” on the blanket - that should have deserved some votes! ;-)

According to my research, the 2nd (Dutch) Lancers did not have the N on the front of the blanket. I tried to scrape the N of for my entry, but unfortunately it can still be seen.

Leaving that aside, I though the entry of Mr. X was very well done. For one thing, he stole my thunder by converting this Polish Uhlan into a Dutch Lancer as I did. And from the voting, it was a spirited duel to be sure. I ran out of time, and did not paint the straps on the saddle roll black as they should have been, and Mr. X has correctly done two blue stripes on the trousers.

These are the most votes ever cast in a duel I participated in. Thanks for Remco for his efforts to keep it near the top.

I had trouble with this entry because the paint kept rubbing off. Duels are usually horse-painting contests that happen to have a rider on top, and I love the colors of the horse of Mr. X. I had planned to build from black with layers to a light orange-brown, but I stopped after the first subtle hints of flat brown were blended in because I liked the way that looked.

Thanks to all who voted and thanks again to Mr. X who has risen to the task for 12 duels in 12 months!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 06 Apr 2021, 08:24

This was another great duel. Been drooling over that set a long time now, but never bought it. That is a really good figure. At first I thought it was converted, but then I saw that the next entry was identical. Didn't recieve any ice-cream this time so I voted on Mr X. What I do with the ice-cream? I send it to Remco of course!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 06 Apr 2021, 12:58

Yeah, really hard choice. I voted for Aaron. Like Bill, I also prefer subdued and matter colors. And I liked more Aaron work on the horse. Thanks to both, also for reminding me that I have that box as well and I should paint the rest of the figures. The first want was painted for another duel that ended up in a tie http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20424&p=223150&hilit=March+duel#p223150
Aaron was Mr. X that day, if I am not wrong.
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Bill Slavin on 06 Apr 2021, 13:41

Bluefalchion wrote:According to my research, the 2nd (Dutch) Lancers did not have the N on the front of the blanket. I tried to scrape the N of for my entry, but unfortunately it can still be seen.

Ah ha! That makes sense. Given all the rest of the detail had been lovingly painted, I was curious.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Kekso on 06 Apr 2021, 14:33

@Aaron ... we have saying, translation goes something like "even blind chicken eventually finds a grain" :xd:
@Peter ... because of poor photos I thought it was yours entry :xd:

Anyhow, it was fun... congratulations to both, especially to the winner :occasion:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Apr 2021, 17:39

Dali--

In the USA we say the same, only it is a blind squirrel finding a nut. And I was surely the Blind Squirrel of the Match Duel.

But I have to say I am proud of us. It is April 6 and we at BFF have already completed 7 duels. That's a blistering pace. Keep at it, lads.

Posted by Santi Pérez on 06 Apr 2021, 19:25

Bill Slavin wrote:Both were nice entries. I voted for Dutch Lancer...

I agree totally with Bill. It was very difficult to choose between them, but finally my vote went also to the Dutch Lancer. ;-)

My congratulations for both paintmasters. :thumbup:
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Apr 2021, 20:08

Mr. Andrea wrote:Yeah, really hard choice. I voted for Aaron. Like Bill, I also prefer subdued and matter colors. And I liked more Aaron work on the horse. Thanks to both, also for reminding me that I have that box as well and I should paint the rest of the figures. The first want was painted for another duel that ended up in a tie http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20424&p=223150&hilit=March+duel#p223150
Aaron was Mr. X that day, if I am not wrong.

I was, indeed, serving as Mr. X during that duel. And reaching a draw against such a master as yourself was a boost to my confidence as a painter that would be difficult to exaggerate.

Return to The Duelling Field