Posted by Dad's Army on 13 Jul 2019, 10:10

This is duel nr.193 folks!

The rules this time were:

- Italeri set 6016
- French Imperial General Staff
- Grazing horse and dismounted ADC
- Three photos

You have a week to choose your winner.
Once again gentlemen take your places and may the best painter win.
Please leave comments after the duel has finished

"Soult’s Monkey"

vs

"Aide de Canteloupe and Hungry Mount"

Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Dad's Army on 20 Jul 2019, 18:10

Well I didn't follow this duel cause I am on holiday and internet in Germany sucks :mrgreen:
But posting it, I knew this would be a great one...
The winner is Bill Slavin, but it was a close one against Aaron ( Bluefalchion)
Both of you, a job well done, I wish I had your paintinskills!

Thanks for dueling, and the voters for making it extra fun!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 20 Jul 2019, 21:21

Big Congrats to Bill Salvin for a well deserved win in his first ever duel. I sincerely hope it will not be his last. I adored his horse, base, photograph, and figure. Some fun facts about this duel:

1) This is the quickest duel I have ever been involved in. The challenge was issued on June 28 and the duel was published by Remco on July 13--an astonishing 15 day turnaround.

2) No uniform color for the ADC was specified. Both Bill Slavin and I arrived at this very particular color scheme independently.

3) The plume on my ADC is not scratch-built. The sprue connects to the figure at that exact spot on the hat, so I just carved up the sprue piece to approximate the shape.

4) This is my third duel using a figure from this set. The first was Napoleon and the second was a mounted Chausseur a Cheval. Who is next?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 22 Jul 2019, 03:02

Thanks, Aaron. It was a great first duel for me and you were a worthy opponent, so thank you for the invitation. And it was way more fun than I thought to watch the votes come in! How exciting!

As you said, it was funny that we both chose the same colour scheme, especially when ADC uniforms could be so eclectic in the French army. Clearly the Italeri figure was based on the Osprey figure of Soult's ADC in the Napoleon's Marshals book, so maybe not so strange, but still, it was fun to see how varied things could be while using similar colour schemes.
At least your plume was part of the sprue! I confess to cheating, carving off a sash thing at the ADC's waist as I could find no evidence that it should have been there and didn't know how to paint it!

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 22 Jul 2019, 04:00

Oh, I just noticed that! Never thought about it until you mentioned it. I thought it was possibly part of the telescope. I guessed white.

As for your removing it, I certainly would not consider such a minor alteration to be cheating. You are an extremely worthy opponent yourself, and altogether a gentleman.

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 22 Jul 2019, 15:18

This was indeed another great duel: for the choice of the figure (love it!) and how both contenders painted it. Neat and precise job, nice shading, nice highlights. Another tough choice for us. I recall having stared at the monitor for ages. In the impossibility of spotting any technical issue, I eventually voted by heart and went for Bill. His figure is dirtier, I could see the fatigue of war easier than in Aaron's. Just that. I wished for a tie, certainly not for a victory by 4 votes.
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ben90 on 22 Jul 2019, 15:32

Dad's Army wrote: and internet in Germany sucks :mrgreen:

You are so right :affraid:

Anyway: Awesome duel!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Bluefalchion on 22 Jul 2019, 16:09

Mr. Andrea wrote:This was indeed another great duel: for the choice of the figure (love it!) and how both contenders painted it. Neat and precise job, nice shading, nice highlights. Another tough choice for us. I recall having stared at the monitor for ages. In the impossibility of spotting any technical issue, I eventually voted by heart and went for Bill. His figure is dirtier, I could see the fatigue of war easier than in Aaron's. Just that. I wished for a tie, certainly not for a victory by 4 votes.

To earn the praise of those we respect must be one of the highest honors achievable. And, if and when Bill and I are able to stage a rematch, I will strive for sweet revenge! 8)

Posted by Graeme on 22 Jul 2019, 18:54

Mr. Andrea wrote:Another tough choice for us. I recall having stared at the monitor for ages. In the impossibility of spotting any technical issue, I eventually voted by heart and went for Bill. His figure is dirtier,

Nearly the same experience for me except I eventually voted by heart and went for Aaron. In general terms I prefer a cleaner, brighter style of painting to a dark washed style, but when the figure is painted as well as this one of Bill's it makes the choice much harder, his figure looks super realistic. The canteloupe colouring of the jacket on Aaron's figure and the nice result with what I think is a difficult horse colour swayed my decision a bit. On the other hand I really liked the shading on the face and map and saddle cloth of bill's figure.

It was an agony trying to decide which of these entries I liked best. Better to just say I love them both and enjoy the show.

Congratulations Bill, good win with a fabulous entry. And thank you both for a really terrific duel.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Bill Slavin on 22 Jul 2019, 22:10

Thanks, all, for the feedback on our duel.
I told Aaron straight off that people would have a hard time deciding! There were a lot of similarities to our figures, I thought, and it really came down to preferences over painting styles. I, too, loved that cantaloupe colour on Aron’s figure and I agree bays ( is that right?) are a tough colour to paint.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 23 Jul 2019, 01:00

Bill Slavin wrote: Clearly the Italeri figure was based on the Osprey figure of Soult's ADC in the Napoleon's Marshals book...

Bill

I forgot to consult that worthy source. But I did perform a google image search. Remco would have been quite proud if he had seen me "hitting the books" with such intensity.

Posted by Bluefalchion on 23 Jul 2019, 01:02

Bill Slavin wrote: I agree bays ( is that right?) are a tough colour to paint.

<consults google image>

A bay! Yeah, that's right. A bay.

Posted by Susofrick on 05 Aug 2019, 15:58

Awesome duel! Pity I missed it.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 12 Aug 2019, 20:28

I didn't and I voted.... for Aaron! Some way it seems to be that I vote for the underdog. :-D

If you didn't explain the uniformcolor, Aaron, I would have ask if the uniform color was part of the rules. ;-)

Congrats with the win Bill! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to The Duelling Field