Tutorials

Geometric squared and lightenings decorations

Posted by Phersu on 13 Apr 2011, 13:58

This is a little variation of the same method I used to make barbed wires (previously posted in another tutorial).
I used the same mosquito net with a different cut to make a squared zig-zag and lightening decorations.

Such decorations are quite common on ancient buildings, statues basements, shields etc.
It would be very difficult to be made such decorations "freehand", this way make everything much easier.

The effect seem good to me, the look appear quite regular on small scale models, although the result is not perfect due to the upside-down meshwork which is not perfectly flat… and the casting of some pieces was not perfect neither.

The only recommendation concerns the net, it must be welded or casted "all in one", otherwise it would break in pieces once cut in this way.
The rest depends only by the precision of the cuts, and by the precise positioning on the right place of the model, so is good use a good cutter and a glue that allow a a correction of the position if needed.

First I cut a strip of squares from a mosquito net.
Then I cut off the protruding bits, to flat both sides.
Finally I cut off one bit from each side to create alternate zig-zag square decoration.

Here is an example of statue basements where I used this decorations, the statues are conversions of 6 mm figures.

In this other variation I left tiny protruding bits on the final edges, which I cut pointed to make the arrow shape of a lightening top.

This can be useful to recreate the typical lightenings on roman legionaries shields.
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Paul on 13 Apr 2011, 14:09

:shock: :shock: :shock: Excellent idea and you must have such patience to carry it out. When I think how small those shields are and how tiny those bits of cut mesh must be!!!!!!! :shock:
Paul  China

Posted by KenzoSato on 13 Apr 2011, 18:02

The great works Leo.
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by MABO on 13 Apr 2011, 20:28

Really a great idea. :thumbup:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Dad's Army on 13 Apr 2011, 20:30

Simple but smart idea :thumbup:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Phersu on 15 Apr 2011, 14:12

Thank you mates! :-D

Placing the decorations on the shields was a real nightmare! :stressed:
In fact the result is quite rough and far from perfect... :?
I hope within some more attempts to get a better outcome, the problem it's the time it takes.

Anyway, I used magnifying lenses and tiny tweezers,
scalpel point to push the lightenings and correct their position,
and a lot of patience! :sweatdrop:

Perhaps a little further refinish on resin casted copies will improve the outcome and allow a neater detailing,
but this takes a lot of patience and precision, and obviously much more time... :sweatdrop:

Another big problem was the glue... :eh:
The superglue I used allow a strong grip without excesses of glue,
but don't leave enough time to correct the positioning... and the repositioning leave some traces on the surface. :nono:
I must try something else. :think:

I thought about spray glue (that one used to assemble plastic photographic layers) which is excellent for positioning such tiny bits with precision... :thumbup:
It leaves the surfaces flat but have not a strong grip, and don't allow a good coating. :eh:
It would be fine for "one shot" works perhaps, :thumbup:
but it would be a shame if I don't exploit so much work making also molds to duplicate it... :crybaby:

I doubt such glue suites for the following moldmaking neither...
I'm not sure the release agent (liquid wax) cover it well allover, so probably the silicon would get stacked on the shields spoiling the molds...
Furthermore, due to the weak grip, the master's parts would come off during the release of the master itself. :(

Any suggestion?
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 12 May 2011, 23:29

Excellent idea, that really looks great! With regard to positioning the mesh (e.g. on the shields), I wonder if you could just glue down one end a little bit and then do the rest. That might give you a little more control when trying to position such tiny pieces. Just a thought... :-D
dutchboyinohio  United States of America

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 15 May 2011, 12:46

Coool and fiddly idea.. Great..
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Posted by Phersu on 16 May 2011, 19:13

dutchboyinohio wrote:Excellent idea, that really looks great! With regard to positioning the mesh (e.g. on the shields), I wonder if you could just glue down one end a little bit and then do the rest. That might give you a little more control when trying to position such tiny pieces. Just a thought... :-D

I did it more or less in that way...
A tiny drop of glue at time... :sad:

Now I had another couples of ideas how to place straighter lightenings: :scratch:
sticking some kind of temporary mini ruler on one side... and take if off once glued the whole decoration.
Or glue one entire squared piece of net on the shields (shaped like a ladder), and then try to cut off the meshwork bits afterwards... :winky:
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Return to Tutorials