Tutorials

Straightening Bent Items

Posted by Bluefalchion on 14 Feb 2011, 01:41

Those of us who like the soft plastic figures have probably all had this experience: You get the men out of the box, and the poses look cool but the rifles, or muskets, or swords, or spears, or spyglasses, or whatever are bent and look utterly ridiculous. You try to bend it back, but it just goes back to its bent position. The figure is essentially worthless in that state.

However, a very simple fix can be employed.

Step one: Boil your self some water and set aside two mugs. One is for your tea, the other one is for fixing your figures.

Step two: While your tea is steeping, fill the second mug all the way to the top with the hot water.

Step three: Select the offending figure. Dip the bent portion, and a bit more besides, into the hot water and hold it for 5-10 seconds.

Step four: Immediately take the figure out, grip the end of the item, and pull it directly away from the rest of the figure, along the line that you want it to go.

Step five: Set aside to cool down and dry.

Step six: Marvel at your now perfectly straight rifle, sword, musket, spear, spyglass, etc., as it will now stay in that position. The figure is saved!

Or, you can work with hard plastic or metal figures, and avoid this problem altogether.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 14 Feb 2011, 16:09

Nice tip, thanks :thumbup:

Got you one question though. What about the tea? I don't drink tea! :mrgreen: :joker:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 15 Feb 2011, 04:31

As for the tea, something nice and calming. It helps me stay patient and collected for those occasions when my brush slips and I splosh dark green paint all over the face of guy I am painting!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 15 Feb 2011, 07:58

Bluefalchion wrote:As for the tea, something nice and calming. It helps me stay patient and collected for those occasions when my brush slips and I splosh dark green paint all over the face of guy I am painting!

That's what coffee does to me :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Tutorials