Tutorials

Figure Sculpting in 1/72nd Scale

Posted by Cryns on 29 Apr 2017, 10:00

Phersu, thanks for posting and for your compliments.

Last year september october 2016, when your internet connection was very poor, Alex did another topic on sculpting. I think you never joined us and never left a note so you might have missed it completely:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19568&start=100
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Phersu on 29 Apr 2017, 14:56

Mr. Cryns wrote:Phersu, thanks for posting and for your compliments.

Last year september october 2016, when your internet connection was very poor, Alex did another topic on sculpting. I think you never joined us and never left a note so you might have missed it completely:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19568&start=100

Thanks to you my friend!
My internet connection is still damn slow, but at least it don't get stack completely since months... and I keep fingers crossed! ;-)
Alex is a great inspiration for all of us and a very kind friend, thank to his hints I learned to sculpt hands and feet, one of my first improvements!
I misse the last interesting updates but I kept one eye on that extremely interesting topic, despite I had not time to post comments, and looking back at it... now I realize that this idea came out also thank to these images on the figures making of you and other friends! ;-)
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Bessiere on 13 Mar 2022, 18:33

Old thread but excellent resource on sculpting. I suppose one has to finally reach a stage of dissatisfaction with available figures enough to tackle what looks to be a very challenging art. As a retired engraver I have many tools that might be very useful such a bead punches, curved letter cutters, various roller wheels with patterns for jewelry etc. i was curious to know if anyone was using engraving tools in the sculpting?
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Michael Robert on 13 Mar 2022, 19:56

True, these were really interesting exchanges. I had the privilege to attend M Cryns masterclass. I learned a lot, but never really took off, because the real learning process takes a huge amount of time and devotion.
Your question, Bessieres…
I remember how Alex showed how he used tools to create patterns. Definitely
I think he even designed some own built or cut tools for specific patterns, ornaments, textures ir just buttons
Please show when you proceed
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bessiere on 13 Mar 2022, 20:20

dioramas are the driving factor for me. If the right idea hits me I will get around to it. I was a hand engraver for years with lots of tools gathering dust since I retired.

I keep seeing undercuts mentioned as an issue. To me that would be anything greater than 90 degrees along any edge. I have a tool-making jig I can set whatever angle faces you want on cutting tools. i also have lots of leftover handles and tool steel so if anyone needs a cutting tool of specific angles and design I can make it for you. I might charge you postage though.
Bessiere  United States of America

Previous page

Return to Tutorials