Tutorials

Metalwork with class 2F (barbed wire)

Posted by Paul on 17 Jan 2010, 16:33

Mrs Ellsworth is going to take 2F for metalwork. Todays subject is Barbed wire. Why the hell she´s doing this subject we don´t know as she´s got a degree in Ancient history. Maybe they didn´t think her suitable cos of the wrinkly stockings and hairy top lip.

Firstly take some copper wire, has to be the thin stuff out of old electric cables. Ask your Parents first wether you can cut the lead off the fridge, and before doing so pull the plug out of the socket!!!

Take two strands and weave them loosely together.

Now attach both ends of the wire to fixed points. Here I´ve put two screws into my work surface as I´m only doing a short length, but for longer pieces anything will do. Remember, the more space around the wire the better as you will see.

Now cut short lengths of wire (about 6cms long) and simply wrap around the two strands, occasionaly pulling tightly to ensure a good fit. Repeat the process making a new bit every 1/2cm or so.

The individual "wrapped" wires can be shoved along the wire to achieve the required spacing. Cut of the loose ends to create the barbs.

The now created length of "barbed wire" ....Timpkins!!!! Pay attention boy!!....can now be wrapped around something with a suitable diameter, say a pencil. Painting I will leave until the art lesson, but I would suggest using a spray can, dark grey, afterwards touching up with anthracite. :-)

Doing this took about 1/4 of an hour, with photos and uploading etc, for 6 cms of "barbed wire". Obviously when more care is taken with the wrapping of the barbs and then the painting, it would take a bit longer, but hey, Rome wasn´t built in a day. :-)
Paul  China

Return to Tutorials